• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 3000/Zen 2 review thread

Soldato

Just watched this. Not particularly good review for the 3700x. It's not a bad CPU, it's just for the money depending on workload your money might be better spent else where.

In sum, 3600 excellent chip for the money and good at gaming. 3700x odd placement in the market due to better CPUs for the same money dependant on workload. 3900x has a place as a entry level HEDT chip.

Soldato
OP
Just watched this. Not particularly good review for the 3700x. It's not a bad CPU, it's just for the money depending on workload your money might be better spent else where.

In sum, 3600 excellent chip for the money and good at gaming. 3700x odd placement in the market due to better CPUs for the same money dependant on workload. 3900x has a place as a entry level HEDT chip.

Its a weird review. He talks about gaming being too close for the Ryzen 7 3700X compared to the Ryzen 5 3600 which is a fair statement,but the forgets this:
KU110i4.png

6 core CPUs relative to 8 core CPUs have most of the gaming performance for less money. You are only buying an 8 core CPU in a gaming rig for being futureproof,ie,next generation consoles,etc. The performance is not reflected right now,ie,games being unplayable.

Then you have examples like this with Lightroom:

IkN4Pwy.png

For example in Photoshop,the filters only take a brief period to run,so 10% here or there isn't large,but a batch export like that or noise reduction takes time.

Soldato
Its a weird review. He talks about gaming being too close for the Ryzen 7 3700X compared to the Ryzen 5 3600 which is a fair statement,but the forgets this:
KU110i4.png

6 core CPUs relative to 8 core CPUs have most of the gaming performance for less money. You are only buying an 8 core CPU in a gaming rig for being futureproof,ie,next generation consoles,etc. The performance is not reflected right now,ie,games being unplayable.
Yes, 6 cores has been the sweet spot for a year or two now and it's always been the case that more cores is diminishing returns. If you're only gaming, the only real reason to get an R7 3700X instead of an R5 3600 is future proofing. But that was true of the i9-9900K v i5-9600K too.

It does seem a bit odd, however, to say the middle chip is the "odd one out" when it's supposed to be a jack of all trades. The R5, R7 and R9 chips are very similar in terms of gaming performance but obviously get progressively better at productivity. The R7 3700X is only 65% the price of the R9 3900X though, so a significant saving if you don't need maximum productivity performance. I would agree that it's relatively poor value though - if you're doing more than just dabble in productivity, the extra cost of the R9 3900X will pay for itself easily.

The problem is value. The R5 3600 offers fantastic value for gaming, the R9 3900X offers great value for productivity. The R7 3700X is kinda in the middle and you need to do a mix of both for it to be worth it.

Last edited:
Associate
yeap, good example of why don't follow this chanel: full of himself, hardly interested, can't even read the text and figures properly and ye elephant in the room (anti amd bias). Did learn the tricks of msm quite well need to admit, like tossing and playing ( with real figures) just to fit his narrative, one word - Twatt :D

Soldato
Apparently decoupling the Infinity Fabric and set it manually improves the performance. Somehow there is a bug where IF works at reduced speed even at 3600Mhz

https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ccsh2v/has_anyone_tried_this_potential_gaming/

The gaming perf boost can be up to 10%!
This is almost certainly a BIOS bug that only applies to certain motherboards. Ryzen Master always shows my IF at the same frequency as my DRAM, so clearly the "auto" setting works fine on mine.

Back
Top Bottom