• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 3000/Zen 2 review thread

Soldato
Soldato
That's quite a lot to read at this time in the morning, summary seems to be that using x470 boards may break some features due to limitation of BIOS chip memory. Has anyone actually experienced this issue?

I'm glad I didn't steam in on day one purchase (I was very tempted) as between this and BIOS code issues there's a fair bit of research to be done yet.
Depends on the board. As one commenter states, the X370 Taichi has a 128 Mb BIOS module, so that could exhibit issues. The X470 variant however has a 256 Mb module, so should be fine. Asus X470 boards are supposed to have 256 Mb modules too, although I can't confirm that.

My server's Asus X370 Prime Pro has a 128 Mb module so I likely won't be updating that again unless I ever swap out the CPU.

Soldato
OP
That's quite a lot to read at this time in the morning, summary seems to be that using x470 boards may break some features due to limitation of BIOS chip memory. Has anyone actually experienced this issue?

I'm glad I didn't steam in on day one purchase (I was very tempted) as between this and BIOS code issues there's a fair bit of research to be done yet.
My Asus B450I Strix has a 256MB Bios module.

Associate
So how do you find out what bios module memory capacity you have? doesnt seem to be on the spec sheets of motherboards or on CPU-Z?

In the manual. But it does not matter. Even the ones that have the smaller capacity (128Mb) are able to handle the newer bioses. I've seen a couple of reviewers using B350s with the 12 cores. Unbelievable!

Associate
AMD apparently ****** up (yet again), all reviews were wrong, and LAVI with a riser cable, on x570 with new Ryzen, stuck in 2D mode, they won't work, also Destiny 2, not compatible :p

Riser issue.

https://twitter.com/hardwarecanucks/status/1148407188693688325

Gen 4 slot and Gen 4 card and they are surprised when a riser cable only tested for Gen 3 does not work? Why do they think the X570 boards are more expensive and need repeaters for the PCI lanes.

Back
Top Bottom