Cycling Holidays

Soldato
You're going to "Work from Mallorca"?

I've considered doing that with cycling a few times as I can easily work away from office for a few days. I feel like properly abroad I wouldn't work much though :p

I might consider it in the summer to explore other areas of the UK in evening/early morning rides.

Soldato
I've considered doing that with cycling a few times as I can easily work away from office for a few days. I feel like properly abroad I wouldn't work much though :p
I might consider it in the summer to explore other areas of the UK in evening/early morning rides.

Unfortunately im only allowed to WFH 1 day a week but I try not to blur the work/home/holiday boundaries too much anyway. I don't like to associate home with any kind of work.

Soldato

I've never even considered this, but now I am! I can wfh as often as I like really. You've made me think maybe I could have a week in Mallorca riding early in the morning and then working through from about lunchtime :D I think the reality though is that I'd end up drinking by the pool and get fired :eek:

Soldato
I've never even considered this, but now I am! I can wfh as often as I like really. You've made me think maybe I could have a week in Mallorca riding early in the morning and then working through from about lunchtime :D I think the reality though is that I'd end up drinking by the pool and get fired :eek:

I was thinking exactly the same!
Trying to figure out how I can fit in the time for riding and working and concluding that I'd definitely get fired :D

Soldato
Just returned from a 9-day trip to Andalusia with @Lethal` and @BennyC. Managed a total of 485mi/781km with 54,350ft/16261m of ascent!

I'd highly recommend the area for a cycling holiday if you like sunshine (Costa del Sol baby!), long climbs, quiet roads and generally nice surfaces. It's not unlike Majorca or the Canary Islands, but seemed to be quieter in terms of motor and cyclist traffic. This may have been due to it being very early season for both holiday-makers and cyclists. It was perhaps a touch windy at times too.

Pico del Veleta in the background...

IePgdTnh.jpg

Had to do a max effort, solo breakaway to get into position for this shot...

eEulMnsh.jpg

Spanish village at 1476m altitude...

btLJDQhh.jpg
T7vk9I9h.jpg
9XewIuNh.jpg
mVpeBefh.jpg
JPcGb4Rh.jpg

Accidental gravel descent...

92n8ihsh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks good and your rides looked fantastic. I want to head to the mainland at some point but just not got enough holiday to get away on a dedicated cycling holiday over the next couple of years :'(

Soldato
Some of my snaps.

cFRXUYul.jpg

XfTI5BRl.jpg

AWL0mVXl.jpg

eWRl57Ul.jpg

rEDGe21l.jpg

5tzLVLzl.jpg

There are some less flattering ones than the one of me above looking purposefully gormless, gobbling a banana, bent over etc.

Did enjoy but can't say I'll miss the climb to the villa at the end of every ride! :p a mile at 8% avg with a few sections at 20% to 'warm down' nicely...

nFLIBVxl.jpg

Soldato
Did enjoy but can't say I'll miss the climb to the villa at the end of every ride! :p a mile at 8% avg with a few sections at 20% to 'warm down' nicely...

That was the same as when we were in the Alps - think it was even longer than that, lovely descent at the beginning of the day but 2.9 miles and 1500ft wasn't enjoyable at the end. Learn from experience though!

Soldato
I much preferred the Villa climb to my 43 min experience chasing @Shamrock up "The Hill of the Gangs"... quite a colourful veloviewer graph. I had to throw my bike at the finish in the sprint to draw :D

gBu4bhf.png

Looks like you guys had a fantastic trip, so jealous! Some epic rides and climbs in there, well done! :)

I'll just leave these here for Liam to fume over... ;)

https://www.strava.com/segments/15422627/leaderboard?club_id=12099&filter=club

https://www.strava.com/segments/3451292/leaderboard?club_id=12099&filter=club

Soldato
Wait until the TdF route is announced and take it from there?

More thinking alternative areas outside of France to suggest. I've suggested Dolomites, but not entirely sure where to base, and I know @BennyC and few others have gone out to Austria and Germany, but once again exact places to stay would be good.

Soldato
I've done Austria and Germany but just from a mate's place in Ulm and brief bit of camping in Austria to do Wendelsteinrundfahrt sportive so wouldn't really have a place to recommend to base there. Definitely, good fun and nice roads around there. I'd imagine Spitzingsee could make a good base.

Soldato
More thinking alternative areas outside of France to suggest. I've suggested Dolomites, but not entirely sure where to base, and I know @BennyC and few others have gone out to Austria and Germany, but once again exact places to stay would be good.

I've spent a week walking based in Corvara a few years back.

https://www.altabadia.org/en/italian-alps-dolomites/villages/corvara.html

Really nice place - had at least one bike shop, supermarket, bars / restaurant etc. Lots of passes on your doorstep- Gardena, Pordoi, Campolongo etc. Badia was just down the valley and also looked like it could be a good base.

Outside of the big Maratona sportive, IIRC, there are a number of other car free days in the summer.

Soldato
Just got back from a week in the Dolomites. Quick summary would be... great weather (apart from one hailstorm), scenic and challenging climbs (I was over-geared!) with lovely/technical descents, not the smoothest roads ever, dodgy Italian drivers/motorcyclists and of course good food.

I think the Mortirolo takes the award for hardest climb I've ever done but it is quite different in character to both Hardknott Pass (Lake District) and Valley of the Tears (Gran Canaria).

I would say a compact is definitely a requirement for the Dolomites. I had a semi-compact (52-36) and, despite weighing 58kg, found I was grinding a lot of the time or out of the saddle. I think I must've done about 75% of the Mortirolo standing!

Location wise, we spent 3 days riding at Alleghe before cycling to Bolzano. From Bolzano we rode to Bormio via the Stelvio. Bormio is the location that the Giro rolls through quite regularly to access both Passo Mortirolo and Passo Gavia.

Road surface quality was not great generally. Rather than potholes, there were lots of cracks, often tyre width and on the racing line, that made descending challenging.

I hate to generalise, but most of the drivers and motorcyclists were pretty aggressive and discourteous to cyclists. The sound of motorbikes speeding past every 30 seconds did spoil some of the serenity of the climbs too. Apparently they have a Strava-like app they use to record their times up climbs?:rolleyes: The Mortirolo was actually the best in this regard. It was steep enough and narrow enough that few cars opted to use it.

Passo Giau
SWrmLFLh.jpg

Passo Stelvio
fcKKydvh.jpg

Passo Gavia
Fkby0kEh.jpg

tgjOBahh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom