£85,000 bill for disgraceful misbehaviour on a Jet2 flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
She's clearly got a drink problem, as she seems to do a min wage (or close to) job and lives with her parents I don't think they have any hope of collecting on that apparent bill. I guess it perhaps does send a message to people who are property owners and/or have more assets... but then again they're probably less likely to have that sort of issue to the same extent as this woman who already has previous for assault several times.

Caporegime
She's clearly got a drink problem, as she seems to do a min wage (or close to) job and lives with her parents I don't think they have any hope of collecting on that apparent bill. I guess it perhaps does send a message to people who are property owners and/or have more assets... but then again they're probably less likely to have that sort of issue to the same extent as this woman who already has previous for assault several times.

If only companies paid people what they should be paid to live... what a novel idea, then justice would actually mean something.

Soldato
Why isn’t paid what she should be paid in your eyes? She works in Costa coffe!

I understand the reason that Baristas are not well paid, its a low skill job that you can be trained to do to a competent level in a couple of months. With that said, its a horrible job and extremely hard work.

My other half runs a chain coffee shop in the city. Her contracted hours are 47.5 hours a week. The store opening hours are 6.30 to 6 Monday to Friday - to complete all the tasks for opening she needs to be there for around 5.30am, if she is closing she'll leave at 6.30-7. A "double shift" is basically 12 hours on your feet, non stop. Its a busy store, there are usually queues even outside of peak hours. There is no paid sickness, lunch breaks are unpaid although food on shift is subsidised.

I'm in a niche accounting role, paid 3x what she earns. I work hard, my job is challenging, but despite all that hers is harder - if you offered me the same money I'm on now to do it, I wouldn't.

Because of the low barriers to entry in her role, she is replacable, so they can get away with paying such a low rate - but don't look down on people who work in the service industry or retail (10 years retail here in my past) - because despite the low skill requirement those jobs can be extremely challenging.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
If only companies paid people what they should be paid to live... what a novel idea, then justice would actually mean something.
In fairness, I don't think that behaving like a lager lout can reasonably be excused by being underpaid.

I know of people who are on minimum wage and yet manage invariably to behave responsibly, both in private and in public.

It sounds very much as if Costa Express Operations Assistant Ms Haines has "problems".

Soldato
Why isn’t paid what she should be paid in your eyes? She works in Costa coffe!

I actually agree. 30 years ago, a man went out to work, 40 hours a week, his wife would stay home and look after the kids etc, his wage was enough to pay the mortgage, the bills, feed the family, run a car etc etc, 30 years later, to even afford a home, both partners have to earn well over minimum wage, 50 hours a week to even afford a mortgage. The world is ******d. But, that's a whole other thread.

Associate
30 years ago most households had zero pc's, zero mobile phones, 3 channels on their TV, a vcr was a months wages and a games console just about played pong.

Soldato
i'm confused as to what the Typhoons were supposed to achieve? what were they going to do if she'd continued her behaviour, shoot the plane down? given the cockpits are sealed now surely the comms from the plane about a disruptive passenger wouldn't have warranted fighters to be scrambled? I'd have thought a scrambling of police to the landing site would have been more appropriate?

Permabanned
i'm confused as to what the Typhoons were supposed to achieve? what were they going to do if she'd continued her behaviour, shoot the plane down? given the cockpits are sealed now surely the comms from the plane about a disruptive passenger wouldn't have warranted fighters to be scrambled? I'd have thought a scrambling of police to the landing site would have been more appropriate?
I suppose its to ensure the plane doesn't get flown anywhere where it might be used to kill a lot more people. I.e you shoot it down if it looks like it might be.

Caporegime
Yeah, if they think it's a potential hijack situation the jets aren't there for passenger safety, they are there to shoot the plane down before it gets to a densely populated area.

Permabanned
30 years ago people had the sense to live w/in their means too.
lets be honest, they didn't, thirty years ago saw the Lawson budget ending MIRAS, so a massive boom in house prices followed by a bust and negative equity. Also a lot of redundancy.

It was also the era of 'loadsamoney' . So no people didn't live within their means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom