Removing Thunderflies from your monitor screen

Soldato
na its good for the spiders, flies etc i live in the countryside so its insect hell out here in the summer.
So do I fella and yes I had to remove a thunderflie from my monitor the other day but I wouldn't go as far and effectively baring myself in :D. You must really hate bugs!

Ree

Ree

Associate
3 thumb tacks to remove to shut the window it's no biggie but helluva worth it for so little effort and cost imo.

Soldato
Got one stuck in my Dell S2716DG, so annoyed! Can't find any decent guides to strip the screen down and not confident without wrecking it :( What is the likelihood of it disappearing over time?

Ree

Ree

Associate
Got one stuck in my Dell S2716DG, so annoyed! Can't find any decent guides to strip the screen down and not confident without wrecking it :( What is the likelihood of it disappearing over time?

i don't wanna get your hopes up but the one i had disappeared when i stopped using my monitor for a day or two but the bugger was still alive walking around when i stopped using it.

Soldato
Unfortunately mine is dead.
You have two choices. Open it up and take it out or leave it in there. It will just stay there for years and years I'm afraid.

I've opened up my monitor a few times in the past to get them out. I just took it easy and was really really careful when removing the LCD panel. This is with my Asus. I tried with a benq and the panel was built better thus making it harder to get into. I eventually did but though my own carelessness I ended up cracking the panel.

As long as you are mega mega careful it shouldn't be an issue. If you break it, put it back together and just claim on your house insurance :D

Associate
You have two choices. Open it up and take it out or leave it in there. It will just stay there for years and years I'm afraid.

I've opened up my monitor a few times in the past to get them out. I just took it easy and was really really careful when removing the LCD panel. This is with my Asus. I tried with a benq and the panel was built better thus making it harder to get into. I eventually did but though my own carelessness I ended up cracking the panel.

As long as you are mega mega careful it shouldn't be an issue. If you break it, put it back together and just claim on your house insurance :D

I asked a computer repair store near where I live if they could get a fly out from inbetween the backlight and the screen of my asus and they said it was too risky :rolleyes:.

Soldato
I asked a computer repair store near where I live if they could get a fly out from inbetween the backlight and the screen of my asus and they said it was too risky :rolleyes:.
Well I don't think it's that hard personally. I'm thinking about doing a step by step break down and uploading to you tube but I simply do not have enough hours in the day.

All monitor makes will of course be constructed slightly differently but the basic steps should apply for all.

Take off the stand and take out any screws from the back or bezel that look like they could be holding the front and back plastic together.

Slide a plastic wedge between the front and back plastic surrounding and try to prise the two apart. I start at the bottom and work my way round.

Once the cover is off carefully disconnect any front or back switches, buttons and power connectors. Then unscrew the main board while disconnecting the screen panel ribbon cables. Make sure it is all disconnected and remove the entire main board which is normally in a separate metal casing.

Prise the metal frame away from the screen and the lcd panel should be ready to be separated. This is the most risky part. Slide out the lcd panel and the thrip is normally behind that and stuck to the white paper film. Flick it off being careful not to touch it much. You can always use a clean lint free cloth to wipe any marks off.

Once the thrip is away just do everything to do before but I reverse.

Take your time and keep everything like screw in an order so that you can put them back where they came from easily.

Its really not that hard. Obviously if it's a 65 inch TV that could be an issue but a 27 inch monitor is very manageable.

Be careful most of all but stay calm. If you are like this then you won't break a thing.

Associate
We had a swarm of thunderbugs today due to the storms overnight & the farmers starting to harvest.

I have rectangular fly papers up at each window & only the small vents open to try to stop the buggers but one got through.

Living in a rural village can be a pain....lol.

I might attempt a repair/debug after summer :D

Back
Top Bottom