1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Thunderflies from your monitor screen

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by D3K, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Ree

Wise Guy

na its good for the spiders, flies etc i live in the countryside so its insect hell out here in the summer.

2. azazl187

Wise Guy

So do I fella and yes I had to remove a thunderflie from my monitor the other day but I wouldn't go as far and effectively baring myself in :D. You must really hate bugs!

3. Ree

Wise Guy

3 thumb tacks to remove to shut the window it's no biggie but helluva worth it for so little effort and cost imo.

4. Spikey

Soldato

Got one stuck in my Dell S2716DG, so annoyed! Can't find any decent guides to strip the screen down and not confident without wrecking it :( What is the likelihood of it disappearing over time?

5. StarShock

Wise Guy

not great, I have had some stuck in one of my old monitors for years

6. Ree

Wise Guy

i don't wanna get your hopes up but the one i had disappeared when i stopped using my monitor for a day or two but the bugger was still alive walking around when i stopped using it.

7. Spikey

Soldato

Unfortunately mine is dead.

8. Ree

Wise Guy

damn, sorry man.

9. azazl187

Wise Guy

You have two choices. Open it up and take it out or leave it in there. It will just stay there for years and years I'm afraid.

I've opened up my monitor a few times in the past to get them out. I just took it easy and was really really careful when removing the LCD panel. This is with my Asus. I tried with a benq and the panel was built better thus making it harder to get into. I eventually did but though my own carelessness I ended up cracking the panel.

As long as you are mega mega careful it shouldn't be an issue. If you break it, put it back together and just claim on your house insurance :D

10. Alexei21

Associate

I asked a computer repair store near where I live if they could get a fly out from inbetween the backlight and the screen of my asus and they said it was too risky :rolleyes:.

11. Spikey

Soldato

Pretty much what I got told.

12. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

NVM

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  13. azazl187

Wise Guy

Well I don't think it's that hard personally. I'm thinking about doing a step by step break down and uploading to you tube but I simply do not have enough hours in the day.

All monitor makes will of course be constructed slightly differently but the basic steps should apply for all.

Take off the stand and take out any screws from the back or bezel that look like they could be holding the front and back plastic together.

Slide a plastic wedge between the front and back plastic surrounding and try to prise the two apart. I start at the bottom and work my way round.

Once the cover is off carefully disconnect any front or back switches, buttons and power connectors. Then unscrew the main board while disconnecting the screen panel ribbon cables. Make sure it is all disconnected and remove the entire main board which is normally in a separate metal casing.

Prise the metal frame away from the screen and the lcd panel should be ready to be separated. This is the most risky part. Slide out the lcd panel and the thrip is normally behind that and stuck to the white paper film. Flick it off being careful not to touch it much. You can always use a clean lint free cloth to wipe any marks off.

Once the thrip is away just do everything to do before but I reverse.

Take your time and keep everything like screw in an order so that you can put them back where they came from easily.

Its really not that hard. Obviously if it's a 65 inch TV that could be an issue but a 27 inch monitor is very manageable.

Be careful most of all but stay calm. If you are like this then you won't break a thing.

14. Gazanimal

Wise Guy

We had a swarm of thunderbugs today due to the storms overnight & the farmers starting to harvest.

I have rectangular fly papers up at each window & only the small vents open to try to stop the buggers but one got through.

Living in a rural village can be a pain....lol.

I might attempt a repair/debug after summer :D

15. RichL

Wise Guy

these things seem to flock towards masking tape, nice little trap for them

16. Alexei21

Associate

I hate this damn thing, if the screen were pressed together more I think I could deal with it.

17. Kelt

Capodecina

Damn, having one or more of these in my monitor would bug me to hell and back.

It's like having multiple dead pixels. :(

18. Alexei21

Associate

Yes, you could say it really bugs me. :D

19. Devrij

Capodecina

I have one of these in the centre of my £700 Asus monitor and I hate it with a purity of rage I cannot describe

20. Kelt

Capodecina

I think I'd cry if one of these critters ever found its way into my monitor.

So I understand your pain.