Removing Thunderflies from your monitor screen

Soldato
I've taken monitors apart to remove these things. I've even made a you tube video on removing live ones if you can.

Why the manufacturers can't completely seal the screens in is beyond me.

My tvs have them in as well. I've just bought a 55 inch OLED and I'm hoping that they don't get in there.

Here is a link to a vid I made that might help some if it's still alive in there https://youtu.be/bnvPLVtppvc

The description on the video might help someone out.

In my experience Samsung tvs are the worst and for monitors my Acer always gets one every summer.

Last edited:
Associate
I've taken monitors apart to remove these things. I've even made a you tube video on removing live ones if you can.

Why the manufacturers can't completely seal the screens in is beyond me.

My tvs have them in as well. I've just bought a 55 inch OLED and I'm hoping that they don't get in there.

Here is a link to a vid I made that might help some if it's still alive in there https://youtu.be/bnvPLVtppvc

The description on the video might help someone out.

In my experience Samsung tvs are the worst and for monitors my Acer always gets one every summer.
Wouldnt mind watching a monitor break down video if you ever do it again! Since I got my replacement monitor I got several dead pixels. I would have been better off keeping the monitor with one dead fly in it :p

Soldato
Wouldnt mind watching a monitor break down video if you ever do it again! Since I got my replacement monitor I got several dead pixels. I would have been better off keeping the monitor with one dead fly in it :p
Its not an easy process to do tbh. The lcd panel is so fragile and you need to take it out and put it back into a metal frame. I had a 27 inch monitor with the same issue but the build quality was better than the Acer. I broke that one as I cracked the corner of the lcd panel trying to put it back in the framing.

If you are careful and remember what you removed and when you did it in theory you can't go wrong. Be careful and patient

Soldato
Same i've had one apart a number of years ago now and it was a relatively easy process and the monitor still works flawlessly. However as azazl says they are extremely fragile and can be easily broken.

Was a pretty straight forward process. I was quite lucky and simply removed the panel, laid it flat and split it via the frame. Then gently lifted the offending layer and slid a thin brand new glasses cloth between to essentially wipe away the thunderfly. Its also best there and then to both fully inspect the panel to make sure you havent introduced any dust as it is so easy.

Replacing just the entire panel in a big lump is not all difficult though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, the downsides of the return of summer. I've currently got 5 thunderbugs walking around underneath my screen membrane :-\

Is there a monitor with any seals or anything to prevent thunderbug infestation?

Block the vents with thrip netting, thats what i have done with all my panels now as we see literally thousands in the harvesting season. That and take the back off the monitor and go round the entire perimeter of the lcd panel with kapton tape.

I've had too many panels destroyed because of these. literally several monitors and several tv's.

I would also leave a bright light behind the monitor and turn it off and leave it off for a few days. When thrips get old, if they dont get back out of the panel they become very slow and thats when they slowly crawl into the panel when you're using it and die on you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ugh I have the annual dead bug. Last two screens have been RMA'd but I am out of warranty now.

In a really annoying place too. Can't really afford another monitor of this standard right now. Don't want to take it apart really as I don't have a sterile room and will probably end up with loads of dust in place of the bug. Just tried the suction cup trick but to no avail. Has anyone ever found a service anywhere to send the screen to for removal?

Associate
For the first time ever I have just had this problem with an ASUS PG279Q, I have a thunderfly stuck in the middle of the screen infront of the backlight but behind the rest of the screen, tried all the tips in this thread to no avail. I also had one go under the screen of an iMac but it left overnight when I turned everything off, I have a lemon grass diffuser now in the computer room and haven't seen any other flies on the screens while I wait for RMA. This is a new monitor only one month old so I am gutted because I will get a refurbished one in the RMA process and this monitor I have now has none of the defects that plague these screens like backlight bleed.

My question to this thread is how do you go about preventing these damn flies from getting in the screen? I believe they are going in around the bezel as I saw one come out of there but then there are the vents at the back of the screen (and imac). I have bought some fly netting filter stuff from a garden centre and intend on covering the vents of the ASUS monitor with this when it arrives, but what about the bezel?

Attached is an image so you can see what I am talking about.
twRQZOS
https://imgur.com/a/twRQZOS

Last edited:
Soldato
Heh, mine is also the PG279Q although I have had it (well, three different ones from the original purchase) for over 3 years now.

They must be easy for them to get into. I am pretty sure they get in via the rear vents.

Associate
Heh, mine is also the PG279Q although I have had it (well, three different ones from the original purchase) for over 3 years now.

They must be easy for them to get into. I am pretty sure they get in via the rear vents.

I presume you have RMA'd these? Can I ask you about the quality of the refurbished units they send? I am wondering whether it is worth RMA'ing mine if I am going to end up going down a path of RMAing again and again and again.

Soldato
I presume you have RMA'd these? Can I ask you about the quality of the refurbished units they send? I am wondering whether it is worth RMA'ing mine if I am going to end up going down a path of RMAing again and again and again.

First was within 12 months and went back to the retailer with a brand new replacement. Second was RMA and the one I got back was actually better, as the second one had some backlight bleed. The one I got back didn't have any and no dead pixels either! I was worried but when it arrived I was really pleased. I think I got lucky mind....

Associate
First was within 12 months and went back to the retailer with a brand new replacement. Second was RMA and the one I got back was actually better, as the second one had some backlight bleed. The one I got back didn't have any and no dead pixels either! I was worried but when it arrived I was really pleased. I think I got lucky mind....

I think you did, one final question if you don't mind, how did you package the monitor to send back to ASUS? I still have the original box but if I send it in that and the refurbished one I receive is broken I don't know how I would go about sending that one back.

Soldato
I have started to throw a sheet over my TV and monitor at night and during the day when I am at work, so I can still leave the windows open. At least this reduces the total time they little sods have available to invade the screens in any 24 hour period.

I am also not sure if they are really getting in through the vents, or just landing on the front of the screen, walking to the bezel gap and then going "up and over". This would seem more likely to me as it would be a fair old trek for a thrip find its way to between the lcd and front glass if it entered via the vents at the back. My current theory would be to try and plug the gap between the bezel and the front glass by gently pushing some thread or paper, all the way around the periphery, to effectively seal it gap without taking it apart. Obviously if they are predominantly coming in through the vents then this will do bugger all.

I had one in my PG27Q yesterday as well, though was able to execute it when it crawled back under the bezel. Have two more get in my Sony 4K TV though, to add to the one last year. These are next level annoying. Haven't they got anything better to do, little *******.

Associate
I feel everyone's pain on this, I live in terror that my relatively new Dell 34" UW monitor is going to get invaded. Last year my old Samsung TV got riddled with the things, think I've got about 15 in there so it's totally ruined and it's the reason why I've not bought a replacement.
I actually spotted one inside my other 27" dell but it managed to crawl back round the back and luckily I haven't seen it again so hopefully it's died and will stay put! I bought an electronic insect repeller in the hopes it will help, it's early days but I'm not getting my hopes up :(

Soldato
I think you did, one final question if you don't mind, how did you package the monitor to send back to ASUS? I still have the original box but if I send it in that and the refurbished one I receive is broken I don't know how I would go about sending that one back.

They do an exchange at the door, so you package it in the original box, but don't tape it shut as the driver has to verify the monitor is in the box. They then hand over the replacement which is also in a proper box, so you end up still having a proper box for it.

Oh, I have had three more today. Think I managed to kill a couple. Tried the suction cup trick last night on the dead one, to no avail :(

Think I am going to attempt to take it apart. If it wasn't in such an obvious place I wouldn't bother, but I keep thinking I can see someone running in the distance on PUBG and it's annoying the hell out of me.

Associate
They do an exchange at the door, so you package it in the original box, but don't tape it shut as the driver has to verify the monitor is in the box. They then hand over the replacement which is also in a proper box, so you end up still having a proper box for it.

Oh, I have had three more today. Think I managed to kill a couple. Tried the suction cup trick last night on the dead one, to no avail :(

Think I am going to attempt to take it apart. If it wasn't in such an obvious place I wouldn't bother, but I keep thinking I can see someone running in the distance on PUBG and it's annoying the hell out of me.

Thanks for your response.

Associate
Well last year I got 3 thunderbugs in one of my ASUS ROG Swift monitors. Several more actually, but managed to get rid of some of them, but I have 4 now in the same monitor, as an additional one got in this year.

To totally compound my problem, I had another ROG Swift due to a RMA cockup that had no thunderbugs in, so it became my main monitor.... guess what that has in today.

Two ASUS ROG Swifts, both have these B*stard things in now. :(

Ree

Ree

Associate
after getting thunderflies before, i attached some insect mesh to my window frames this year been great so far (touch wood).

Back
Top Bottom