Fortnite players to become millionaires

Soldato
Maybe this should be in the pc game forum but I think it's quite newsworthy. E sports has come a long way with absolutely massive prizes and audiences.

"The finals of the Fortnite World Cup are taking place in a stadium in New York, with the winner set to earn more prize money than Simona Halep and Novak Djokovic won as Wimbledon champions."

I don't even know what Fortnite is about. Quake was always my game. There's probably still more physical skill in the Quake series than other games but it never reached the dizzy heights of earning players the vast sums of today. Though it definitely led the way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49106939

Man of Honour
Some people made reasonably big money in Quake to be fair albeit it hasn't hit the heights of some of the more recent big competitive games like DOTA, etc. I know 1-2 players from the UK who'd regularly bring in well over 10 grand, sometimes almost 100K in prize money a year at its peak and some like Fatal1ty obviously did a lot better.

Soldato
OP
Some people made reasonably big money in Quake to be fair albeit it hasn't hit the heights of some of the more recent big competitive games like DOTA, etc. I know 1-2 players from the UK who'd regularly bring in well over 10 grand, sometimes almost 100K in prize money a year at its peak and some like Fatal1ty obviously did a lot better.

But the winner of this Fortnite World Cup takes home about $2.5 million, the runner up also over a million, and all the others of the final 200 chosen from 40 million thst applied all get $50,000. Quake is peanuts by comparison.:p

Soldato
Calling it eSports is a ******* joke. Should just be called Gaming Championships.

Kids and their daft parents.

Ain't that the truth. Mate of mine has a Son who is well into Fortnite and keeps trying to get his parents to stump up cash for items. Thing is, his Father, my mate, has been playing games since the Speccy and knows the score but his wife is clueless and the Son has cottoned on to that fact and takes advantage.

Caporegime
Calling it eSports is a ******* joke. Should just be called Gaming Championships.

There's a fella in our gaming community who is heavily involved in the organisation of this stuff. He calls it "Cyber Athlete Championships".

We take the pee out of him constantly, but he's Murican so he has a fanny wobble all the time. It's great.

Soldato

Which players?

Soldato
I don't even know what Fortnite is about.

Most of the worlds population vanished. There's a global storm that creates portals and out of them come 'Husks', zombie like creatures. You the player are tasked with exploring the world for survivors and supplies and retaking the world from the storm by building storm shield shelters, safe havens for the remaining populace and eventually discover the cause and end the storm.

It was pretty fun but it got majorly crippled by the battle royale mode.

Soldato
it'll be in the olympics soon along with rock climbing ... ecouchpotato would be more appropriate (gets up)

but as they said last week egames are apparently a good birth control strategy ... so we need to thank the companies for that,
albeit it indirectly drives revenue for OC.

Fortnite is most popular among players between the ages of 18 – 24, who account for 63% of all Fortnite players. Players between the ages of 25 – 34 represent 22.5% of all players, while those between the ages of The 35 – 44 comprise just with 13% of the overall user base. And Fortnite is particularly popular among men, who comprise 72% of that title’s players.

Back
Top Bottom