Surreal thing happened to me today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
people are ****s generally. That's how it is. The majority of people are happy o film but wouldn't step in;

I went through the police officer recruitment and would happily step in and assist if needed (never been needed). A lot of reason why people won't step in is fear of reprisal; This isn't America people, do the right thing.

Caporegime
people are ****s generally. That's how it is. The majority of people are happy o film but wouldn't step in;

I went through the police officer recruitment and would happily step in and assist if needed (never been needed). A lot of reason why people won't step in is fear of reprisal; This isn't America people, do the right thing.
I don't even lift. Seems a tad pointless to go after a "huge guy" and then get injured for the sake of some guy riding a scooter on the pavement.

Nope. Doesn't sound like a plan to me.

I also doubt if many people really give a crap that he was riding on the pavement. There are worse things going on.

Soldato
The world is just weird now, people are like zombies with their phones. :(
It's exactly like Black Mirror :(

Unsure if I would get involved. I'd like to think I would if the guy clearly needed apprehending, or the policeman was in danger. But over a scooter.. hmn.. not sure.

TJM

TJM

Associate
This was 16:35 in London, loads of people were there, loads. I was the only one that helped and it’s genuinely shocked me.

What has society come to? When people would either watch, film or walk away from someone who needed help?

Forget that it was a policeman, it was a human being needing help...

Restore some of my faith in humanity, who would have helped?
Most of the GD regulars wouldn't assist under any circumstances (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/pcsos-why-even-bother.18858211/) so this is a good place to ask.

Soldato
Once upon a time I'd have weighed up stepping in, but not now I'm a parent: my responsibility is to my kids, don't want to risk getting maimed or killed, so I would tend to stay out of it.

Also, this:
You're asking someone to intervene to arrest someone riding an electric scooter on a pavement.
**** helping Big Brother's nonsense bureaucracy. That police officer is a real human who could make a decision to just let that bull-crap slide, but chose to get picky about it. Of course the dude is ****** off!

Associate
Well done for stepping in.

Terrible of the people to film it.

However, it is sadly not worth your life to get involved. The officer has a stab vest on, you don’t. What if he pulled out the biggest blade you’ve ever seen and launched it in to you?

The police would now be with your wife and your entire family devastated.

Very sad, but this is now the way of the city/world.

Man of Honour
Well done for helping. I hope I would in that situation too.

Plot twist... After shaking the popo hand, the OP whips out his electric scooter and illegally rides off into the sunset :)

Soldato
I've stepped in a few times I rely on the fact I'm really big and most people are scared of me.. Dunno what I'd do if the other person stood their ground.. All 3 times there were groups of people watching (twice at busy taxi ranks)..never actually had to do anything other than look mean and walk over and scream something along the lines of stop that using my deepest most scary voice .. Then stand between the two or push one away.

Two guys scrapping I'd ignore (unless maybe there was an obvious victim or someone that asked for help) but these times there was an obvious looser.

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of interesting points. I honestly don't know if I would have got involved, for a lot of reasons already stated.

suddenly I realise my fellow passengers are gone, moved up the road and it’s just me!

They arrested the rider, took a statement from me and several others

A little confused by this. Everyone else left, who else could give statements?

On the point of phones, is it always a bad thing? I assume if anyone did hang about, the police could use footage as evidence? Also, people have a tenancy to just watch and not get involved, it's not related to the fact they are recording it. I remember 15 years back or so, an indecent on the underground a little like the above, but it wasn't a policeman. Things got violent and people almost tried to pretend it wasn't happening. (I did stand up to do something after a short while myself, but that was actually the point the aggressor decided enough was enough and moved on)

Man of Honour
I probably wouldn’t have assisted due to the nature of the ‘crime / offence’. Just sounds a bit jobs-worthy by the policeman. I know it’s his job to enforce the law, but still. I would be more inclined to help if, say, he had stolen a handbag.

Nor am I a Ju-Jitsu champ :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom