• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Ryzen 3700X Overclocking thread***

Soldato
No, unfortunately the latest BIOS is with AGESA 1.0.0.2.

I need to wait for a BIOS update then?

No, I was going to suggest quite the opposite. Boosts were nerfed in 1.0.0.3AB.

The original limits were:

3600 = 4100MHz (80-95°C) / 4200MHz (< 80°C)
3600X = 4200MHz (80-95°C) / 4400MHz (< 80°C)
3700X = 4200MHz (80-95°C) / 4400MHz (< 80°C)
3800X = 4300MHz (80-95°C) / 4550MHz (< 80°C)
3900X = 4400MHz (80-95°C) / 4650MHz (< 80°C)

It has since been lowered to 75°C now.

However, on 1.0.0.2 you should see max boost at low single-threaded loads. Worth leaving HWiNFO running in the background for a while when just browsing etc.

Associate
Yes, latest chipset drivers and set to Ryzen "High Performance" power plan.
Why didn't I get that with latest drivers.? I only got Ryzen balanced but no Ryzen high performance....
Highest boost that hwinfo64 recorded was 4.375 but usually when gaming it's boosting to 4.225-4.2275.
That's on the latest MSI bios with AGESA 1.0.0.3AB.

Soldato
@z10m I am using Ryzen Master to track the stats as I think hwinfo etc. are still needing updates for accuracy.

I'm disappointed that the chip can't hit the advertised boost frequency TBH, I don't see why AMD are getting a pass with this.

Associate
@z10m I am using Ryzen Master to track the stats as I think hwinfo etc. are still needing updates for accuracy.

I'm disappointed that the chip can't hit the advertised boost frequency TBH, I don't see why AMD are getting a pass with this.
Yeah in ryzen master I've never seen it go that high..
I'm disappointed too tbh....

Soldato
I had a quick go at an all core OC using Ryzen Master... completed several Cinebench 2.0 runs at 4300 and only 1.275v... temps a good 10-15c lower than running default settings, but then when i ran The Division 2 it would not let me tab out of game and then launch another other app but the game ran ok.. i see some of you saying your up over 1.325v which is beyond the recommended constant voltage im seeing posted on other sites, so what is "Safe" for an all core OC.. tried 1.325v but could not get anything over 4300 to hold stable. Im using a Corsair H100I Pro and have plenty of case cooling with 2x 200mm and 2x 120mm intake fans, front side and bottom of the case.

Associate
I had a quick go at an all core OC using Ryzen Master... completed several Cinebench 2.0 runs at 4300 and only 1.275v... temps a good 10-15c lower than running default settings, but then when i ran The Division 2 it would not let me tab out of game and then launch another other app but the game ran ok.. i see some of you saying your up over 1.325v which is beyond the recommended constant voltage im seeing posted on other sites, so what is "Safe" for an all core OC.. tried 1.325v but could not get anything over 4300 to hold stable. Im using a Corsair H100I Pro and have plenty of case cooling with 2x 200mm and 2x 120mm intake fans, front side and bottom of the case.
What LLC settings did you use and was that 1.275v under load.? What did you use to monitor voltage.?
For me ryzen master definitely doesn't work well when it comes to voltage monitoring as it doesn't show any vdroop under load but cpu-z does.

Soldato
I did not touch any settings other than Ryzen Master, so used Profile One, selected cores and linked all and set to 4300, then included voltage and set it to 1.275, hit apply and then ran Cinebench a few times, score went up from 4751 to 4951 for multi core test, but single core dropped from 509 to 478. voltage was monitored in ryzen master and HWInfo.

Associate
I did not touch any settings other than Ryzen Master, so used Profile One, selected cores and linked all and set to 4300, then included voltage and set it to 1.275, hit apply and then ran Cinebench a few times, score went up from 4751 to 4951 for multi core test, but single core dropped from 509 to 478. voltage was monitored in ryzen master and HWInfo.

And did you notice any voltage drop under load displayed by ryzen master.? Because for me it doesn't show any so I don't think it works correctly..

Soldato
Think you are right, as far as i recall, Ryzen master did not show any drop in voltage but HWinfo would show Min, Max and AVG... but i do not recall what it showed. I only had a quick mess with it as never used the software before and this is my first Ryzen CPU, been on Intel for over a decade and things are different in the bios from my previous intel board hence why i tried Ryzen Master, looked easier lol.
Ive have little luck finding any good guides for OC on my MSI B450 Tomahawk, so just finding my way still.

Soldato
It seems Cinebench is the software to use for the best indication of multi core performance. What's the best indicator/benchmark for single core performance? Is it also Cinebench or is there something better?

Associate
Why didn't I get that with latest drivers.? I only got Ryzen balanced but no Ryzen high performance....
Highest boost that hwinfo64 recorded was 4.375 but usually when gaming it's boosting to 4.225-4.2275.
That's on the latest MSI bios with AGESA 1.0.0.3AB.

I had the same issue, I had to uninstall the drivers and then delete the AMD folder at C:\AMD after that all was fine

Soldato
Did some further testing last night... Ryzen Master does show the voltage and vdroop under load too, just make sure that after you select and apply a profile, you click on HOME to see the live results. I loaded the latest 1.0.0.3ab bios and started fresh, using Ryzen Master and voltage set to 1.325v, i got an all core of 4350mhz to complete Cinebench 2.0, voltage dropped in Ryzen from 1.325v to around 1.275v under load, this was also shown in CPU-Z at the same time.

I had a go at BIOS OC but although i got into windows and ran Cinebench 2.0 fine, the voltage reading on All my monitoring software, Ryzen Master, CPU-Z, HWInfo etc.. all showed 1.1v and under load down to 1.06v??? even though the bios was hard set to 1.325v, so i restored my normal settings and im close to giving up, these new CPU's dont OC well enough to be worth the time and effort and the bios def need more work.

I had my i5 3570k up and running at 4.6ghz in minutes and it never missed a beast for several years till my PSU started to fail.

Does anyone have a link to a decent guide, i cant find anything clear as there is so much speculation on bios issues and versions etc.. max safe voltage... ?

Soldato
Does anyone have a link to a decent guide, i cant find anything clear as there is so much speculation on bios issues and versions etc.. max safe voltage... ?

BIOS and AGESA are hit and miss currently. As for the max safe voltages, anything other than stock is just pure speculation as to what's safe and what's not. Even The Stilt had a chip degrade rather swiftly, though he did say that it'd seen TjMax a few times.

Soldato
BIOS and AGESA are hit and miss currently. As for the max safe voltages, anything other than stock is just pure speculation as to what's safe and what's not. Even The Stilt had a chip degrade rather swiftly, though he did say that it'd seen TjMax a few times.

So the current "stock" could be killing chips? My 3700x can easilly sit at 95 solid degrees.

Back
Top Bottom