• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Soldato
Somewhat agree with Journey. But if you fancy an upgrade I'd say the 9700k is on an EOL platform and at your resolution the difference between the AMD and 9700k would be nothing. So if you have ££ burning a hole then I'd go Ryzen 2 route.

That was why I was hesitant to move to a 9700 as the AMD chip is a much newer platform. However the boards are stupidly expensive at the moment and I don't like the idea of having an active fan on the board either.

Soldato
That was why I was hesitant to move to a 9700 as the AMD chip is a much newer platform. However the boards are stupidly expensive at the moment and I don't like the idea of having an active fan on the board either.

The active fans have been implemented due to skilled reviewers such as buildzoid finding that the heat in the MOBO VRM's before X570 have been causing a performance issue. Now they put cooling on boards to mitigate it, no one wants them. Inside a case - you aint gonna hear it, unless your case is made of cobwebs. Some peoples fans were at high RPM because the baordvendor set the defualts high in the BIOS or MOBO UEFI software. All easily sorted by chnaging a fan curve. Just go for X470 board or one of the other platforms that Zen2 is compatible with. New latest and greatest is always a premium, and you will be a tester if you're an early adopter. That goes for hardware and software.

Soldato
Have to say I'm not really inspired by the problems I'm seeing with Zen 2 - especially after the 2000 series being a relatively matured and trouble free platform. Seems to be new game performance issues and the odd game not working at all, OS and RAM incompatibilities, etc. being found almost daily and BIOS updates fixing one thing but breaking another.

Well doesnt matter whether its Hardware or software - if you get it on release as an early adopter - you'll be a tester. Just depends how much of an enthusiast you are.

Soldato
The active fans have been implemented due to skilled reviewers such as buildzoid finding that the heat in the MOBO VRM's before X570 have been causing a performance issue. Now they put cooling on boards to mitigate it, no one wants them. Inside a case - you aint gonna hear it, unless your case is made of cobwebs. Some peoples fans were at high RPM because the baordvendor set the defualts high in the BIOS or MOBO UEFI software. All easily sorted by chnaging a fan curve. Just go for X470 board or one of the other platforms that Zen2 is compatible with. New latest and greatest is always a premium, and you will be a tester if you're an early adopter. That goes for hardware and software.

That is just not true, the fans are due to the high TDP chipset

Soldato
That is just not true, the fans are due to the high TDP chipset

Is it the chipset the fan covers and cools? That then. Whatever the fan cools on earlier boards that were all passively cooled. Many reveiwers and particulalry Buildzoid has been going on about for ages where those temps hhas some sort of nagative impact. That's what I saw in one of his videos anyway. Maybe my ears dont work or I heard wrong.

Is the X570 chipset the highest ever TDP chipset then? Therefore requires cooling?

Associate
First question to ask yourself is this, how much better will my experience be for £900?

A GTX 1080 Ti at 3440x1440 is for the most part but going to be CPU bound, yes some game woul benefit, but by how much? 1% lows will be better, and you might get double digit gains in some titles at the higher end, but is a cost of £50-75 per extra frame worth bothering?

Thanks journey I really thought the old cpu was holding my card and system back with its lack of cores bf5 has improved with patches but I struggle to hit 100fps on low settings if I cannot get around a 20% improvement on that and be able to play the latest games fine then as you say what's the point ! I am certainly not chucking over 2k at it with a daft priced 2080ti

Soldato
Thanks journey I really thought the old cpu was holding my card and system back with its lack of cores bf5 has improved with patches but I struggle to hit 100fps on low settings if I cannot get around a 20% improvement on that and be able to play the latest games fine then as you say what's the point ! I am certainly not chucking over 2k at it with a daft priced 2080ti

BFV does gain greatly from more cores and threads, when coupled with a very fast card

My buddy has the Acer 34P and we hooked it up to his mates 9900K with RTX 2080 a couple of months back, it was doing about 75 FPS minimums and 105 Avg on Ultra. All to see if moving from the 4770 he currently has was worth it, he decided against it as G-Sync was doing what it does best and therefore was no need. He's waiting until next year now. :)

Soldato
I bit the bullet and went for a 3700x. The upgrade should "only" cost me around £350-£400 after cashback and selling my old kit so if I get another 4 or 5 years use out of it I'll be happy. I've checked resale prices and my old motherboard is going for pretty much the price I paid for it 5 years ago on eBay! The only annoying thing is that I can't use my Noctua cooler for it yet as I need to buy the mounting kit for it and it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere at the moment.

Soldato
I bit the bullet and went for a 3700x. The upgrade should "only" cost me around £350-£400 after cashback and selling my old kit so if I get another 4 or 5 years use out of it I'll be happy. I've checked resale prices and my old motherboard is going for pretty much the price I paid for it 5 years ago on eBay! The only annoying thing is that I can't use my Noctua cooler for it yet as I need to buy the mounting kit for it and it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere at the moment.
Get in touch with Noctua support, they'll send you one out for free or at cost of postage.

Soldato
Awesome, thanks for letting me know. Completely missed that part on their website but that's good customer service, just got one ordered from them.
No problem, glad you got it sorted, Noctua are great just a shame they don't give you a second option with colours as standard.

Soldato
No problem, glad you got it sorted, Noctua are great just a shame they don't give you a second option with colours as standard.

Noctua must've only gotten the 'prosthetic' swatch from their manufacturer when color choice came along at the plastics manufacturer. (Apologies to all those that require prosthetics). You may blend into it, but I havent seen a case since the 80's where Noctua's colours match it;s surroundings. Remember the beige cases?

And as for the fan colour! Well...when it hits the fan...

Associate
I still use the Noctua U12 CPU cooler from my previous PC and while the quality is top notch, the color of the fans really clash with dark themed builds.
I have a closed case so I didn't really care back then but this time around I will be getting a windowed case.

Noctua better come out with black or gray fans by the time I build my next PC :p

Back
Top Bottom