Energy Suppliers

Soldato
So you were overcharged then ombudsman challenged it and won a reduction but you didn't pay it?

No, they billed me incorrectly, the Ombudsman upheld my complaint, they continued to bill me incorrectly, so i refused to pay incorrect bills as there was no way i was risking going into credit with a company spiraling towards admin and a demonstrable history of not paying people what they owed them.

The administrator then continued to flaunt the law by passing my debt to an agency even though i'd contacted them to say i'd pay if they got the bills right, but they simply didn't do it.

Even then, when i asked the administrators who i could complain to, the agent i spoke to refused to tell me about FCA and FSA protection (or whatever it was i got advised by the energy ombudsman) and simply said "You'll have to speak to the debt collection agency, it's not my problem."

They then said they had increased the debt and sent the revised file on after doing a "full history audit" of my account, which didn't account for the Ombudsman ruling, "Well, Sir, if you're going to challenge these things, sometimes you get what you deserve." That wasn't true, simply the agent being a ****.

Soldato
Their variable tariff is rather good, IME. Prices dropped a while back. Worth a quick google before making the decision.
Cheers and thank you Kol - reading around, there has been quite some variability since 2018, but as would be expected with a variable tariff. The current pricing is fixed until 31st August 2019 (According to uSwitch - not sure how it can be fixed though, especially if consumers haven't been told there will be a change on that date), so it'll be interesting to see if it changes

Soldato
Their variable tariff is rather good, IME. Prices dropped a while back. Worth a quick google before making the decision.
I was with them for a few months then the price went up. The good thing is that you're not tied into a contract to I could leave straight away and after doing another price comparison on MoneySaving Expert I got a cheaper deal

Soldato
No one could say, prices vary depending on your post code and your usage. Just go on any of the price comparison sides and stick in your details and see what happens. Make sure you selected the option to see the whole market if there is one and not just the suppliers the site can switch you to.

Check for cash back or referral links through the normal places (e.g. ask here) and switch direct if it’s cheaper. Some tariffs are not available directly.

The MSE one is decent, start there.

Soldato
Soldato
Washing machine, dishwasher, EV charging will be the big ones. Not a lot you can do about lights or cooking except switching to LED bulbs and more efficient appliances. I imagine there is loads of smaller things that people have consciously changed their habits on to shift use. For example not spending half an hour running your 1800w hoover between 5 and 8.

We only use about 10kwh a day (less in summer) so shifting the washing machine to overnight will make a marked difference to just sticking it on when I get home from work.

Associate
Currently struggling to beat my current fixed deal with Eversmart that is coming to an end, electricity had a standing charge of 20.726 with a KWH unit charge of 11.414, gas had a standing charge of 15.267 and a KWH unit charge of 2.773.

Was this deal just insanely cheap to lure me in or have prices really risen that much in a year (I thought they had gone down a little!)

Soldato
Bulb now emailing to intall smart meters .. we're in your area ... other than the octopus variable I'm still not aware anyone has some preferential tarifs if you do have a smart meter ? (not sure compare sites are showing them all)

Otherwise
These dam octopus tv add's about which awards what the hell were the criteria ? and will someone/they give me a link to the report - I don't see the word which and say sign me up.
the tv smrt meter adds soliciting child/environment angle as a motivation to install a smart meter too !

Associate
I would grateful for a Bulb referral from a established member (oo-eer) if possible?

It is between them and Igloo for electric (£10-15 per year in it under pretty much recent useage figure for past few years I calculate) and Bulb off Warm Home Discount too, so win there.

Gas is just just for heating now (gone electric for cooking) so a 2 year fixed with Bristol Energy via Meerkat is the best all round bet for stable price versus cost.

Associate
Sent mate if you decide to go with Bulb. Been a while since sending one of those!

Thanks Kol, just spotted it in email before I refreshed this page :D. I will get that sorted A.S.A.P, most appreciated.

Edit: All sorted, so hopefully that should go through next month :).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My British Gas tariff is coming to an end and I got an email from MSE to say there's better deals, so I've just moved to Bulb using a code I got from @Kol some months ago. They were the cheapest on there and feedback seems positive all around.

Back
Top Bottom