How long is your work commute?

Associate
34 miles, and takes about 45 mins in the morning, and a bit longer on way home.
More that I would like to do, as it costs a fair bit. But the job isn't too bad.

Would be tempted by public transport, as at least I could do something productive with the time. But that would take over an hour and a half, and the times don't line up.

Caporegime
I went from 3hrs (combined) to 1hr. The way I look at it is, I've got 10hr a week of my life back.

Yeah years ago I used to commute 2 hours minimum each way - 104 miles (one bank holiday friday it took me 4 and half hours to get home) and went to a 30 minute journey on a job change. It was bliss getting so much of my life back.

At the time being young and pay was great I didnt mind the 2 hour drive chilling to dance music but after 7 years it had started to grind (a lot)

Man of Honour
Generally either a 11.5 or 18.5 mile commute 20-40 minutes depending on traffic but if the weather is bad I will pickup or drop off 1-2 colleagues which can add 10-20 minutes.

For a run of the mill job I wouldn't consider anything over about an hour tops - I'd have to really enjoy a job or it pay exceptionally well to consider spending any more of my life commuting.

Would be tempted by public transport, as at least I could do something productive with the time. But that would take over an hour and a half, and the times don't line up.

Always seems to be the case - tomorrow for instance I could get a bus door to door from where I live to where I'll be working - but it takes 4x longer than by car and for starting work the two nearest bus times would mean either turning up an hour and a half early for work of 30 minutes after I'm supposed to start and same for finishing - the two nearest bus times are 30 minutes before I finish or an hour and a half after. It also costs 4x what it would in fuel.

Last edited:
Soldato
3 miles going the quick way, usually go the longer route to avoid a roundabout where everyone takes the ****, wrong lane/cutting in last second etc

Thread made me think about a guy at an old workplace... he”d come in 30min before shift started and sit in the canteen, not because it tied in with other things, he just did!

Associate
A 5 minute walk up the road.

I was house sitting for my parents last week (looking after pets), and I forgot how annoying it is to be stuck in traffic for so long going to work. My parents live about 3 miles way from my work, but it is literally quicker to walk as it takes about 45mins-1hour to drive due to traffic. So glad I live closer to work now.

Soldato
My last 3 IT jobs have been WFH over the last 8 years, saves me ~£600pm +3h commuting to central London everyday.

I never thought I could earn a decent living from my spare bedroom wearing my pajamas.

A lot of London based jobs are like that now, because it's really hard to convince people to commute in. At one time people jumped at the chance, but not any more. People don't want to deal with London prices, traffic or crap public transport, or the stress of it all and London's reputation isn't exactly great right now.

Everyone wants at least double the wages plus travel expenses or they pass. I don't blame them, **** working in London.

Anyway, 10 miles for me :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine was 1h30 each way with a really stressful part of the commute. Now reduced to 45 mins each way but it is completely calm. 40 miles in 45 minutes. Most of it is cruising against traffic. The M11 is a bit annoying being only 2 lanes, hilly, and lots of lorries but it's pretty much always flowing.

Only thing I want now is a more comfortable and quieter car but it's not a priority. Ideally long term I'd like to move closer to a less than 30 minute commute but for the time being this'll do.

Back
Top Bottom