How long is your work commute?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Do you find it weird not talking to people face to face during the day?

Well my wife works from home as well so I'm not home alone all day. My son is also about at various times as he's not in school yet, I'm very fortunate to be able to spend more time with my family.

I also have about 3-6 Skype calls a day.

Soldato
Two hours each way mainly on public transport. That's if it goes smoothly, another hour on top if things get messed up, which is thankfully rare.

Having commuted for 25 years into London from various places near and far, I always advise to carefully check the quality of the commute and not just the time/distance. I'd much rather spend an hour on HS1 as I do now than half that on my first commute from Woking into Waterloo. One has me always with a seat, power socket and smooth ride relaxing catching up on TV while the other was half the time stood shoulder to shoulder on a bumpy old thing getting uncomfortable. Its the latter that soon makes you completely and utterly fed up with commuting. Also when comparing always consider door-to-door time. Despite living in the middle of Surrey at one time I could get from my front door to my seat in the office at the Aldwych quicker than someone in zone 1 could in North London. Proximity of car parks to platforms, distance from London terminus to office and lots of other things need careful consideration.

Man of Honour
Two hours each way mainly on public transport. That's if it goes smoothly, another hour on top if things get messed up, which is thankfully rare.

Having commuted for 25 years into London from various places near and far, I always advise to carefully check the quality of the commute and not just the time/distance. I'd much rather spend an hour on HS1 as I do now than half that on my first commute from Woking into Waterloo. One has me always with a seat, power socket and smooth ride relaxing catching up on TV while the other was half the time stood shoulder to shoulder on a bumpy old thing getting uncomfortable. Its the latter that soon makes you completely and utterly fed up with commuting. Also when comparing always consider door-to-door time. Despite living in the middle of Surrey at one time I could get from my front door to my seat in the office at the Aldwych quicker than someone in zone 1 could in North London. Proximity of car parks to platforms, distance from London terminus to office and lots of other things need careful consideration.

On a lesser scale it is something I've appreciated changing to a big engine, automatic, pickup - I never really saw it as that big a deal before but afterwards I realise that it is a bit wearing (at least for me) commuting any real distance in a small, manual, car and at the end of the day it all adds up.

Associate
Christ some of you really are piddling away precious hours each day just getting to and from work, i hope your being paid a lot for it - there would have to be an awful lot of folded pics of her Maj to entice me into wasting 2/3 or more hours a day sitting in traffic or on a bloody train doing nowt.

Soldato
On a lesser scale it is something I've appreciated changing to a big engine, automatic, pickup - I never really saw it as that big a deal before but afterwards I realise that it is a bit wearing (at least for me) commuting any real distance in a small, manual, car and at the end of the day it all adds up.

Done the driving thing too and couldn’t agree more. Always ran a big engined auto for commuting whether it was stop/stat across London or queueing and cruising on the M25. It’s the same thing - make it as stress free as possible. Turn your own tunes up sitting in plush leather with the car doing the work and you finish feeling better.

Man of Honour
People with a sub 15min drive, why not just walk? Lack of footpaths?

You can quite easily drive 15 miles in 15 minutes, more if you're on the motorway

Get yourself an e-bike.

I bought/assembled my e-Bikes six years ago and they are the best thing I've ever done for my commute.
I have a neighbour who works at the same place as me on a 4.5 mile commute but he has to set out 20 minutes earlier.
If we leave work at the same time I'm home before he has got to his car.

Man of Honour
Aside from other considerations related to my work I would feel way too exposed on much of the roads I commute on using a bike or e-bike.

Soldato
Christ some of you really are piddling away precious hours each day just getting to and from work, i hope your being paid a lot for it - there would have to be an awful lot of folded pics of her Maj to entice me into wasting 2/3 or more hours a day sitting in traffic or on a bloody train doing nowt.

I know it depends on circumstances but if the choice was 5 min travel then 8 hours of hell vs 1-2 hours travel and an easy day for the same money then it'd be tempting to go for the easy day...

Soldato
Door to door about an hour and a half if the trains run on time. 20 minute walk to the station with a 30 minute train ride and then a short 5 minute Tube ride to my office.

Back
Top Bottom