Gravel/Adventure Bike - £1k

Soldato
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a gravel/"adventure" bike, with a budget of around £1k (through Cyclescheme at work). I currently have a Kuota K-Factor Carbon road bike, however it's getting on a bit now and the frame is a touch small for me. I'm looking to upgrade - the reason for looking for a gravel bike rather than just a road bike is that I'd like to use a few easy trails as well, having 25c tyres is a bit tough going! So the larger tyres would help with that.

I took a look at the Whyte Glencoe at the weekend and loved it, but I was hoping to look at some alternatives before taking the plunge.

Any recommendations?

Soldato
Pinnacle Arkose whatever you can afford for 1k, maybe top it up to get one with Tiagra all round, great bikes, still like my 2015 version and goes great as a winter bike now it's no longer needed for CX duties. Did a whole season and a half of CX without any issues.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all - probably going to head out on Friday afternoon to check some bikes out in person. Any places to recommend/avoid? I haven’t bought a bike in years (my current one was second hand..), so I’m a little out of touch!

I’m based in St Albans :)

Soldato
After my experience with Cannondale I wouldn't ever buy from them again, the standard topstone you're paying for the brand, the new one looks quite innovative though. (not the one you're looking at unfortunately)

Soldato
As above hydro brakes are worth the extra off road for greater power / contolr and make sure the tyres are at least 38mm or you will take a pounding off road on anything but very smooth trails.

Soldato
Soldato
Not when the product page states Product not available online you can't.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc-520-gravel-adventure-bike-105-id_8554425.html

I only look at the online option because there isn't a store near me.

Every bike I've looked at that interested me has been OOS either completely or not in my size, for the past two or three years.

Not looking at the right time, it would seem.
Umm just this morning the limited edition one had medium in stock. But other then you can't getting one delivered, what do you recon about the bike itself? Are they good? Do you get what you pay for because a branded version of that bike costs a lot more

Soldato
Umm just this morning the limited edition one had medium in stock. But other then you can't getting one delivered, what do you recon about the bike itself? Are they good? Do you get what you pay for because a branded version of that bike costs a lot more

Good review here:

https://road.cc/content/review/262048-triban-rc-520-gravel

They seem to be great value bikes.

If you can get one.

I've decided I'm going electric for my next bike anyway.

Orbea Gain or Ribble gravel look interesting.

Soldato
It is now back in stock by the way. every size except small

Tempting, but they missed the boat for me this year.

Shimano have released a new gravel specific groupset, GRX, and doubtless this will be coming on their new range.

I'll also be looking for this groupset on my ebike purchase, so that will be put back a few months I guess.

I'm in no rush, I get about just fine on my current MTB, and I can save up a few more pennies.

Soldato
Tempting, but they missed the boat for me this year.

Shimano have released a new gravel specific groupset, GRX, and doubtless this will be coming on their new range.

I'll also be looking for this groupset on my ebike purchase, so that will be put back a few months I guess.

I'm in no rush, I get about just fine on my current MTB, and I can save up a few more pennies.
Is that groupset a massive improvement over what's on the decathlon bike now?

Back
Top Bottom