• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Soldato
Up until the 18th of July i was going to build a Ryzen rig, once all the kinks had been ironed out in the BIOS, then a certain retailer dropped the 9900K to £405 and thought thats too good a deal to pass up. As with everything in life, it's all about timing.

Whether I'd gone with a 3800X or a 9900K I would have been keeping it for the next 3-5yrs, so going with either AMD or Intel really didn't matter to me in the slightest, they'd both offer almost the exact same level of perfromance over that time period.

Soldato
upgraded my radiator and i have x52 multi at 1.31v LLC level 2 and x53 multi at 1.385v also at Level 2.

i can’t seem to get the 9900KF running at 5.4ghz out of the box even way beyond 1.385v.

I will need to go back to one core and work backwards.

5.3 is still way beyond what i thought would
be possible at 8 cores with HT on but i can help think that 5ghz all core at 1.19v is the sweet spot. If the 9900KS offers all core 5ghz at 1.2v
out of the box for £500 then it will be a great deal compared to the only alternative of an expensively 3rd party binned chip.

Associate
i can’t seem to get the 9900KF running at 5.4ghz out of the box even way beyond 1.385v.

I will need to go back to one core and work backwards.

5.3 is still way beyond what i thought would
be possible at 8 cores with HT on but i can help think that 5ghz all core at 1.19v is the sweet spot. If the 9900KS offers all core 5ghz at 1.2v
out of the box for £500 then it will be a great deal compared to the only alternative of an expensively 3rd party binned chip.

What are you using to bench/validate?

Soldato
What are you using to bench/validate?

memtest86 usb boot, then cinebench 20 multi, realbench, superpi 32m then finally 3dmark timespy.

if it passes all those then i play an hour of the division 2 to test for heat soak under normal conditions.

Last edited:
Associate
memtest86 usb boot, then cinebench 20 multi, realbench, superpi 32m then finally 3dmark timespy.

if it passes all those then i play an hour of the division 2 to test for heat soak under normal conditions.

Shadow of the tomb raider has a trial on steam. There’s a benchmark built in that’s quite stressful and uses avx. You can pass realbench but error out in that. That’s a good one.

Soldato
Cinebench R20 with 5ghz, no avx and HT enabled should draw a lot more wattage than that? are you throttling somewhere?

Hey matey, I have retested at 5ghz, this binned chip when tweaked pulls about 160 watts. Bios is set to LLC2 1.195v.

xmXBdS8.png

the secret was to stick one of these on my loop:

5VEFdzF.jpg

Soldato
lol that's badass!

btw, the L0 errors are related to not enough vcore. Another .010 should get rid of those.

You can also get those if your cache/uncore is too high but yours is already at 43x uncore so it's a main core bump that's needed.

thanks pal. did not see those. much appreciated

Associate
thanks pal. did not see those. much appreciated

This is where my system taps out due to temps:

unknown.png

Scores would be higher if was running realtime/admin etc. I was more interested in temps and power draw.

Associate
9900kf @ 5ghz 1.2v LLC 1 (maximum LLC)

Prime95 AVX/FMA3 100% load

63QK89e.png
Going to be touch and go with prime 95 with 8fft temp wise. FFT 1344k is not as bad temp wise. The issue with the 3800x and most likely the 9900k. Is that small fft temps can't be cooled at higher frequencies. At 5Ghz you maybe on the edge but 5.3GHz is likely going to be high enough to hit max temp. No amount of water cooling helps, but a chiller is the only way other than phase change. The temps increase exponentially and at some point you hit the wall.

I did a r20 for the 3800x, so you can see the score.
Temps in prime95 8k fft are in the +80c this is with a big copper 360 rad and full copper water block.

Last edited:
Soldato
Going to be touch and go with prime 95 with 8fft temp wise. FFT 1344k is not as bad temp wise. The issue with the 3800x and most likely the 9900k. Is that small fft temps can't be cooled at higher frequencies. At 5Ghz you maybe on the edge but 5.3GHz is likely going to be high enough to hit max temp. No amount of water cooling helps, but a chiller is the only way other than phase change. The temps increase exponentially and at some point you hit the wall.

I did a r20 for the 3800x, so you can see the score.
Temps in prime95 8k fft are in the +80c this is with a big copper 360 rad and full copper water block.

thanks bud. i am a prime noob with these newer chips. can you show me the prime settings i need to run and i will give them a whirl this evening after the footie.

Associate
thanks bud. i am a prime noob with these newer chips. can you show me the prime settings i need to run and i will give them a whirl this evening after the footie.

Just be careful with prime95, 10 hours 8fft and 10 hours max fft are meant to indecate a stable system. The low fft runs are the hottest, with avx instruction it gets even hotter. Just watch the temps and take your time. Most people get 5 and 5.1GHz on the 9900k for a reason. There are vidoes of people on YouTube having to use two radiators to cool the cpu, with one radiator in an ice bucket. Pick a point that has good temp and performance. You want the overclock to last some time.

Associate
prime95 8k/16 threads run 5ghz @ 1.2v = 181w peak package draw.

if anyone else wants me to run with any other settings then shout.

P95 for cpu stress testing is generally as follows:

Small FFT and number of torture threads should equal your cores + HT threads. So either 8 or 16 (if you have HT on).

You can hit "disable AVX2" and then "Disable AVX" in that sequence if you want to disable AVX which will draw more power and add more heat.

Back
Top Bottom