Greta Thunberg

Soldato
Lol at people having a go at her for screaming or having certain facial expressions, that’s probably how half of these folk converse on a day to day basis looking at the deep seated rage they have for a 16yr old girl just trying to do her bit for the planet.

She doing nothing for the planet. Hysterical doom mongering is as old as humanity. The skies been falling since time immemorial according to a long succession of people who were often acting out their own mental health issues and insecureties vicariously through their calls for immediate radical action.

If we don't want to make the whole situation much worse thee the majority of solutions are likely to be a lot more incremental and less radical individually then the demands made by Greta and her ilk.

We need are rather more mundane approach of seeking international consensus in incremental changes. This may not be enough to avert many of the issues we face but the supposed alternatives will almost certainly make things worse not better regardless of any idealistic intent that lies behind them for some.

Soldato
So many mad boomers seem offended by her.

I don't get it,

Doesn't worry me though i'm done with bothering with morons. Let the world burn.

Take as many flights as you can, drive as much as possible and let's get the show kick started already lads! The only sad part is the idiots that helped create this mess won't have to suffer the consequences.

Soldato
So many mad boomers seem offended by her.

I don't get it,

Doesn't worry me though i'm done with bothering with morons. Let the world burn.

Take as many flights as you can, drive as much as possible and let's get the show kick started already lads! The only sad part is the idiots that helped create this mess won't have to suffer the consequences.

Try separating the message from the messenger and it makes more sense.

Many 'boomers' will have or will have know of plenty of angsty teens who thought they could change the world for the better by being angry and shouting at the adults in it.

Many of thoose 'boomers' were probably a bit like that in their youth.

Regardless I doubt there's that many 'boomers' here with there likely being far more gen x and onwards given when mass home pc ownership and the Internet became 'things'.

Soldato
Try separating the message from the messenger and it makes more sense.

Many 'boomers' will have or will have know of plenty of angsty teens who thought they could change the world for the better by being angry and shouting at the adults in it.

Many of thoose 'boomers' were probably a bit like that in their youth.

Regardless I doubt there's that many 'boomers' here with there likely being far more gen x and onwards given when mass home pc ownership and the Internet became 'things'.

I don't like her that much, she's a standard annoying 15 year old.

But we've tried to convince people with science and it hasn't worked. So maybe a 0.1% chance this might work? (Highly doubtful of course).

Soldato
I don't like her that much, she's a standard annoying 15 year old.

But we've tried to convince people with science and it hasn't worked. So maybe a 0.1% chance this might work? (Highly doubtful of course).

Convince people or what though?

I think few, if pressed, would argue that humanity doesn't have some pressing issues around sustainability and our impact on the environment.

Convicing people that the 'solutions' are things like a necessarily authoritarian command economy or that the west needs to cripple its industries (when large parts of the rest of the world won't) aren't easy things to 'convince' people of however.

Soldato
Convince people or what though?

I think few, if pressed, would argue that humanity doesn't have some pressing issues around sustainability and our impact on the

Convicing people that the 'solutions' are things like a necessarily authoritarian command economy or that the west needs to cripple its industries (when large parts of the rest of the world won't) aren't easy things to 'convince' people of however.

Either way let's not beat around the bush about the elephant in the room.

China.

I don't like using that as an excuse to say "oh but China so we should do absolutely nothing" but we have to be honest about the situation too. Only way we could deal with that really is buy less Chinese goods.... but that's not going to happen (At least not in a short enough time frame).

Soldato
Either way let's not beat around the bush about the elephant in the room.

China.

I don't like using that as an excuse to say "oh but China so we should do absolutely nothing" but we have to be honest about the situation too. Only way we could deal with that really is buy less Chinese goods.... but that's not going to happen (At least not in a short enough time frame).

Then you agree with me that we should focus on maximising what we can realistically do rather then giving excessive air time to radical extremists?

I think it would be good idea for more than one reason to reduce our reliance on political regimes like China to provide us with goods and services.

Caporegime
Had she been growing up in the 1970's she'd have been scaremongering about the imminent ice age just as the alarmists were doing back then, they don't even call it global warming now it's just climate change or climate emergency as a catch-all term. It'd like a weatherman coming on TV telling you that the weather will be different tomorrow with no real details about it so they can't be proven wrong or argued with.

If we want to become greener we need to do it in a sensible way, the radical left basically want to send western nations back to a pre-industrial era whilst just moving all of their polluting industries to China.

Caporegime
Then you agree with me that we should focus on maximising what we can realistically do rather then giving excessive air time to radical extremists?

I think it would be good idea for more than one reason to reduce our reliance on political regimes like China to provide us with goods and services.
Realistically tho, what we can realistically do is minimum effort in most cases.

It boils down to the electorate is not going to put in power anyone who will reduce their living standards, even trivially, to "save the planet". Because, to generalise the entire Earth's population, we just don't care as much as we care about maintaining our way of life.

Soldato
I know a bit about aspbegers and they are very dedicated when they find a topic. Also very sensitive people, truly a blessing.

It is a disgrace that she's getting so much abuse but that's also partly to do with her aspbergers as she won't understand the hate and hence respond the way non aspie people do. I have aspies in my family etc.

Soldato
You want people to change they ways, don't scream in the faces. You want people to take notice, you get experts to tell people, not a child unless you're trying to emotionally blackmail people, which most people can see straight through.

But certain people don't listen to the experts.

In this very thread there have been people trying to debunk the 97% of experts agreeing about our influence on climate change because those experts were climatologists. Their expertise is in the climate. Therefor, to these people they can't be trusted because they have a "vested" interest in claiming we're damaging the environment.

It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Soldato
No tanks, use too much petrol.

Diesel not petrol, thats fine amirite?

But certain people don't listen to the experts.

In this very thread there have been people trying to debunk the 97% of experts agreeing about our influence on climate change because those experts were climatologists. Their expertise is in the climate. Therefor, to these people they can't be trusted because they have a "vested" interest in claiming we're damaging the environment.

It's ridiculous.

It follows a standard pattern try convincing people with rational arguments which get ignored or shouted down, so step up the pressure with protests, direct action whether legal or not. Whether it will make any difference and how long they can keep up the pressure is anyones guess.

Soldato
I want to invade China. Seriously, who is with me?

Why do people single out China so much? Yes they are big polluters but they are trying to raise the stardard of living for the population, something most serious countries try to do. What about countries like the US who are wealthy yet still consume and pollute excessively.

You might be joking but the general comment still stands.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom