I have just been scammed out of s10+.

Associate
OP
How does blocking a phone work, do you have to prove you owned the phone.
What stops you just randomly blocking someone's phone.
How can you unblock them?

I don't know if it differs but I expect other network providers would be more or less similar. Here is the process that three network used before they issued a block for me. I had to confirm my name, address and phone number.

Then asked me the last time I used the sim card in the phone, when was the last time I topped up, how I topped up (shop, online etc) and how much I topped it up for.

They asked me what phone it was (brand and model) and then lastly they asked me what the IMEI number was I guess to make sure it was the right phone for the IMEI number. Only then did the gentleman issue the block.

I guess for them to unblock an IMEI it would be same the same steps. So I think it would be really difficult for someone to randomly IMEI block you. While a scammer, thief, someone found a lost phone possibly know your name, address and phone number the other details are much harder to obtain I would have guessed.

While I didn;t have the IMEI number or the box to find out what it was because it is an Android phone the IMEI can be obtained and tracked (if it has not been factory resetted) by google Find my phone app. There you can remote erase, get it to ring even when on silent and pin lock it. It will also be trackable if location is turned on via wifi or mobile data.

If it has been factory reset then it will still show the IMEI number regardless.

Even though a block has been issued and now the phone is practically a brick. It is still usable as soon as it leaves the UK. Apparently there is a big demand for these in China and India because as soon as it leaves British airspace they IMEI lock is rendered void by the network carrier.

I am sure most of the above apply to iphone users as well.

Soldato
as soon as it leaves British airspace they IMEI lock is rendered void by the network carrier.

Surely that's not correct. You phrase that like it gets reset by leaving the UK. I'd be reasonably sure, you come back into the country and the block would still be there, it just does not block foreign networks is all? I doubt anything is voided surely?

Soldato
Surely that's not correct. You phrase that like it gets reset by leaving the UK. I'd be reasonably sure, you come back into the country and the block would still be there, it just does not block foreign networks is all? I doubt anything is voided surely?

I looked into it a while back so it may have changed, but IMEIs seem to be blocked across networks in multiple counties. So if you block it in the UK, it'll be blocked in other countries, but not all.

Associate
OP
  • You are all quite right i phrased it wrong once it leaves the country the IMEI block is still there but you can use the phone in other countries like china or india but if you were to return to the UK the IMEI block will still operate.

Back
Top Bottom