• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Would it make sense to get a 2080 TI atm or wait for the next gen? Building a new PC by the end of this year. Or get a 5700xt and wait till 30xx series come out?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Would it make sense to get a 2080 TI atm or wait for the next gen? Building a new PC by the end of this year. Or get a 5700xt and wait till 30xx series come out?
Wait. The 2080 Ti will feel like old tech super fast with its demo RT performance. At least with the 3080Ti you will get a lot more RT performance, I am expecting no less than double.

Soldato
I am expecting no less than double.

...not a chance.

Maybe approaching that in traditional raster performance, given the 7nm die shrink and the usual 30-40% gen on gen performance increase, but RT cores? no way will they be doubling in performance in one generatioon. I'd expect expect the now usual 30-40% gains per generation when it comes to RT.

Ray tracing is a long term project for Nvidia.

They should be aiming for...

1440p 60fps or 4K 30fps with RT on the 3080Ti (no DLSS)

1080p 60fps or 1440p 30fps with RT on the 3080 (no DLSS)

1080p 60fps or 1440p 30fps with RT on the 3070 (with DLSS)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
...not a chance.

Maybe approaching that in traditional raster performance, given the 7nm die shrink and the usual 30-40% gen on gen performance increase, but RT cores? no way will they be doubling in performance in one generatioon. I'd expect expect the now usual 30-40% gains per generation when it comes to RT.

Ray tracing is a long term project for Nvidia.

They should be aiming for...

1440p 60fps or 4K 30fps with RT on the 3080Ti (no DLSS)

1080p 60fps or 1440p 30fps with RT on the 3080 (no DLSS)

1080p 60fps or 1440p 30fps with RT on the 3070 (with DLSS)
I will quote this here and point to it when the reviews come out and show double or more the RT performance ;)

Will use a haha.jpg :p

Soldato
I hope they ditch RTX and release cards with decent performance improvements at a reasonable price!

So many people have been suckered in by RTX. It just isnt that good in modern titles (hence why everyone showcases it in minecraft and quake... Because its only old games it makes a noticable difference!

Don't think anyone has been suckered by Ray Tracing. It's the future. And I hope Nvidia and AMD make massive jumps in Ray Tracing performance with their next cards.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
would GPU prices go up considering they are often made in far east Taiwan etc would Brexit actually affect trade with them?

It's not so much the affecting trade with them, it's how much weaker it will make our £. If it drops even more then everything we import will become more expensive, like what has already happened since the actual referendum result.

i.e. a reference 2080Ti would be about £985 inc VAT if they £/$ had stayed the same as what it was before the referendum, instead, they are £1149.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there any way you guys can import a gpu from the US to dodge the VAT?

If you dodge VAT you go to jail, I find tax in general to be quite perverse and no better than the mob blackmailing people for protection money "Don't want to give us money that you didn't agree to give us ? We'll put you in a metal cell for 10 years where you'll likely get stabbed".

Soldato
This is false, there are states with absolutely legal 0% sales tax. The above mentioned plus Alaska, too. Max rate there is 2% if you are unlucky with a particular good.

When did I mention America ? Remember this is a forum based in England not North America, If you dodge VAT here it's prison time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom