• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
Wait. The 2080 Ti will feel like old tech super fast with its demo RT performance. At least with the 3080Ti you will get a lot more RT performance, I am expecting no less than double.

Double awful = still awful though. It will be the 4080ti or 5080ti when RT really starts to shine

Soldato
Double awful = still awful though. It will be the 4080ti or 5080ti when RT really starts to shine

Correct.

A while back I made a post with some quick back of the hand maths based on what size chips Samsung can produce on its 7nm EUV process. And that estimated that Nvidia would be able to double the 2080ti's RT performance.

Yes double sounds great but it's actually still not capable of doing 4k 60 without using a scaler like DLSS. Take a look at Metro Exodus - maxing out the raster settings and maxing out the ray tracing at 4k gets you like 20 odd fps. And that's only using Global Illumination. Even if you have 100% extra performance - that still only gets you 40 to 50fps with Ray Traced Global Illumination and max settings.

We'll need another doubling of RT performance from the 3080ti to the 4080ti - and if this happens only once we get to the 4080ti would be reach the point where RT was more or less performance agnostic.

Caporegime
Correct.

A while back I made a post with some quick back of the hand maths based on what size chips Samsung can produce on its 7nm EUV process. And that estimated that Nvidia would be able to double the 2080ti's RT performance.

Yes double sounds great but it's actually still not capable of doing 4k 60 without using a scaler like DLSS. Take a look at Metro Exodus - maxing out the raster settings and maxing out the ray tracing at 4k gets you like 20 odd fps. And that's only using Global Illumination. Even if you have 100% extra performance - that still only gets you 40 to 50fps with Ray Traced Global Illumination and max settings.

We'll need another doubling of RT performance from the 3080ti to the 4080ti - and if this happens only once we get to the 4080ti would be reach the point where RT was more or less performance agnostic.

And that's only for one facet of ray tracing (there's still full shadows, ambient occlusion and reflections), the full ray tracing suite is still out of realistic usage, maybe at 1080p with a 5080ti can they start using it all at all decent framerate.

It's neat, but it's just a gimmick right now and if people want to spend a huge sum for it, that's cool, but for most it's quite a waste. One issue i forsee is a game with lots of NPC's to ray trace off of, limitations on the fun of a game just to add shiny effects because i highly doubt devs would prefer the former over the latter.

Man of Honour
And that's only for one facet of ray tracing (there's still full shadows, ambient occlusion and reflections), the full ray tracing suite is still out of realistic usage, maybe at 1080p with a 5080ti can they start using it all at all decent framerate.

It's neat, but it's just a gimmick right now and if people want to spend a huge sum for it, that's cool, but for most it's quite a waste.

People vastly underestimate the path tracing implementation in Quake 2 - sure it isn't quite there yet but it shows a lot of potential - you'd only need to approx. double the ray count and sustain around 50-60 FPS to eliminate most of the noise and temporal sampling artefacts.

Though there are some limits to keep the performance feasible i.e. light bounces are constrained with only the sun light having multiple bounce passes and caustics use fast approximation (also don't get scattered light reflections off water though it does refraction) it still produces very usable results for video gaming and does implement GI, reflections, shadows, caustics, etc.

Unlike Minecraft The RTX implementation in Quake 2 doesn't benefit from being able to optimise against blocky geometry contrary to what some people have assumed.

One issue i forsee is a game with lots of NPC's to ray trace off of, limitations on the fun of a game just to add shiny effects because i highly doubt devs would prefer the former over the latter.

That is where path tracing comes in - you can constrain the complexity of the ray tracing to keep performance at the expense of noise - which with increasingly sophisticated denoising algorithms and a bit of clever implementation to avoid weaknesses in the system can be reduced to a level that most people won't notice.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I agree. It is going to be a very long time until we get hardware that will be able to run games without any rasterising that looks much better than current rasterised games. But, I do think double the performance will run current and 2020 games at a level where enabling it does not mean playing at less than half the FPS. From that point of view not so awful :p

Permabanned
When did I mention America ? Remember this is a forum based in England not North America, If you dodge VAT here it's prison time.

You are wrong. @Grim5 asked for the U.S, not for the UK. Don't shift the topic.

His question is: can we buy without being charged with additional sales tax when the purchase is made in the U.S.

The answer is Yes, we can. There is no sales tax in some U.S states and you can take the goods with your luggage.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You are wrong. @Grim5 asked for the U.S, not for the UK. Don't shift the topic.

His question is: can we buy without being charged with additional sales tax when the purchase is made in the U.S.

The answer is Yes, we can. There is no sales tax in some U.S states and you can take the goods with your luggage.
He said import and dodge VAT. So Dice is not wrong in interpreting that the way he did imo.

Maybe @Grim5 can clarify what exactly he meant?

Last edited:
Associate
Wait. The 2080 Ti will feel like old tech super fast with its demo RT performance. At least with the 3080Ti you will get a lot more RT performance, I am expecting no less than double.
What should I aim for now? Maybe an 5700xt and then sell it when 30xx series wil hit? I'm still looking for something capable of 1440p > 60FPS

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What should I aim for now? Maybe an 5700xt and then sell it when 30xx series wil hit? I'm still looking for something capable of 1440p > 60FPS
Get a cheap Vega, that would do that I would imagine? See it as a temp card and then go 3000 series when it is out early next year. A 5700 would fine also, but probably overkill if it is only short term.

Associate
Get a cheap Vega, that would do that I would imagine? See it as a temp card and then go 3000 series when it is out early next year. A 5700 would fine also, but probably overkill if it is only short term.
Just to clarify , my monitor is 1440p 144hz so looking for the best bang for fps

Permabanned
Just to clarify , my monitor is 1440p 144hz so looking for the best bang for fps

Here, more is better, for 1440p:

Performance-per-Cash.jpg

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
What card are you on now?

Vega would probably be best bang for buck as long as you are happy with a bit lower FPS temporary while waiting for the 3000 series to come out. For sure it will be coming out in the first half of 2020 imo so not like you will be waiting for too long :)

FYI when I say Vega I am assuming it can be picked up for sub £250 as I have seen many deals like that come up. For £300 or more might as well go 5700.

Associate
What card are you on now?

Vega would probably be best bang for buck as long as you are happy with a bit lower FPS temporary while waiting for the 3000 series to come out. For sure it will be coming out in the first half of 2020 imo so not like you will be waiting for too long :)

FYI when I say Vega I am assuming it can be picked up for sub £250 as I have seen many deals like that come up. For £300 or more might as well go 5700.

I am on no card currently :cool:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Thank you, I guess this is the best deal :)
Yeah. I agree, for the extra £50 better off going with the 5700 XT. Seems the cheap Vega deals have ended. Some were getting is close to £200 at one point. But as stock levels are going down prices are going up it seems.

Just to make you aware there were some reports some people having some issues with the 5700 XT, though this seems to be a small percentage from what I can see. But worth looking into/keeping in mind. Not a huge deal though, if you have issues just send it back and get a refund in the first 14 days :)

Soldato
Yeah. I agree, for the extra £50 better off going with the 5700 XT. Seems the cheap Vega deals have ended. Some were getting is close to £200 at one point. But as stock levels are going down prices are going up it seems.

Just to make you aware there were some reports some people having some issues with the 5700 XT, though this seems to be a small percentage from what I can see. But worth looking into/keeping in mind. Not a huge deal though, if you have issues just send it back and get a refund in the first 14 days :)
Just out of interest because im too lazy to google it, what issues were people having with the 5700xt?

Soldato
Just out of interest because im too lazy to google it, what issues were people having with the 5700xt?
Mine died 8 weeks into ownership, 5700xt red devil. Despite multiple askings of ocuk they refuse to tell me where my card is, thanks. And I have had no card for the last 2 weeks, great. I really regret not buying an evga 2070 super lol

Back
Top Bottom