January Transfer Window 2019/20

Soldato
Solskjaer Targets FIVE Transfers! Man Utd News Now

Man Utd and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer are targeting five transfers this January including Haaland and James Maddison according to reports. Get the latest Man Utd transfer news on The United Stand.

Emre Can... no thanks

Here's the five players I would target this window or in the summer
  • [*]Ryan Fraser
    [*]Mario Götze
    [*]Callum Wilson
    [*]Blaise Matuidi
    [*]Dries Mertens

Last edited:
Associate
Other than perhaps Wilson as a reasonable (but overly costly) option, there wouldn't be much in those five names to get excited about. Three are short term options at best, and Utd already have a rapid sometime-productive wideman. The benefit of Fraser would be cost due to his contract and coverage, but quality longer-term is lacking.

Need to start squarely with central midfield - and more than one.

Soldato
OP
Other than perhaps Wilson as a reasonable (but overly costly) option, there wouldn't be much in those five names to get excited about. Three are short term options at best, and Utd already have a rapid sometime-productive wideman. The benefit of Fraser would be cost due to his contract and coverage, but quality longer-term is lacking.

Need to start squarely with central midfield - and more than one.

last season Fraser got the second most assists behind hazard

Associate
last season Fraser got the second most assists behind hazard

He did, but he's not the quality Utd need.

You already have two inconsistent winger-forwards, and players in support that are sometimes capable, often limited - or learning their trade. Fraser doesn't markedly improve on that: yes he's industrious, yes he can deliver a cross, but realistically he's a player that could be a squad option for a side with any ambition of challenging for major honours. The benefit to Utd would be cost and potentially short-term performance, similar reasons he was linked to Arsenal previously this summer. Even then, Utd would still need to build on that with real quality and in multiple areas. I think monies would be better spent elsewhere. I would also contend his skillset is more suited to a side like Bournemouth, rather than Utd who (should be reasonably expected to) dominate a majority of teams they face in terms of possession and chances. Fraser is a counter-puncher rather than a consistent creator; Utd have the former in abundance, less the latter.

Although there are only two standout teams in the division, all expected rival teams - bar Chelsea - have elite-level talent in attacking areas. Utd's options are limited by comparison and focus should be on defining and acquiring players who can raise the bar, rather than the addition of another run of the mill player to a core of players who are just that.

*Appreciate you haven't made any claims of Fraser's quality in your post, but given the context and Utd's current situation my assumption is that we are not talking about Fraser coming to warm the bench.

Caporegime
As long as nobody touches Edouard, Christie, McGregor, Ajer and Ntcham I'll be happy. I can see us doing even better in Europe next season.

In fact you can take Ntcham he's a bit like pogba a luxury player at times. £20m for him as he's the next Wanyama.

If we can sign Forster on a permanent and get a real quality winger and a back up striker in I'll be happy. Our defence is nearly there too maybe another utility player like ahmad who can play CB and RB would be good.

If arsenal want to loan us back Tierney next season I'll take that too so long as they pay his new wages.

Don
Danny Rose has come out today and confirmed the club have actively been trying to sell him and hinted that they'll try to in January too but he's point black refusing to leave until his contract is up:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...medium=&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1573653405

How have Spurs managed to mess everything up so badly? It was always going to be a tricky year or two for Spurs, moving to their new stadium, balancing the books and keeping everybody happy but I can't believe how badly everything has turned out. Along with Rose you've got Erikson, Wanyama, Dier, Vertonghen and Alderweireld all with huge question marks over their future, whether that be the club trying to sell them or them wanting out. It's crazy how they've gone into this season in this situation and it's going to be incredibly difficult for them to get out of too.

Don
Chelsea have had their transfer ban halved by CAS, meaning they're now free to sign players in January. It'll be interesting to see what sort of business they do having raised a fair amount of money in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom