Post Your Home Cine & HiFi Kit...

Soldato
Wouldn't you be better with a wider separation of the left and right speakers and angling them toward the listening position? That's how I have mine set up after reading about it on AV Forums. Although I must admit my setup would look nicer if I were to put them like yours are.

No, you want to form an equilateral triangle with the distance between the speakers and the listening position ideally.

Soldato
I've got Monitor Audio Golds and I've never been 100% happy with the sound, perhaps it's my amp but I may try less toe and see if it helps.

What amp you running with them?

I used to have a pair of GS10s and they sound amazing with a decent amp. They do need a bit of grunt though. I had a Roksan Kandy Liii at the time. When I ditched that to go av they sounded pretty average. Tried Yamaha , Dennon, Onkyo then finally a Arcam av amp. None got them to sing like the Roksan

Man of Honour
What amp you running with them?

I used to have a pair of GS10s and they sound amazing with a decent amp. They do need a bit of grunt though. I had a Roksan Kandy Liii at the time. When I ditched that to go av they sounded pretty average. Tried Yamaha , Dennon, Onkyo then finally a Arcam av amp. None got them to sing like the Roksan
I’ve got a Roksan K3.

Man of Honour
Take it there on decent stands and have room to breath.

That combo should be a great match.
I’ve tried all sorts and been disappointed. I may borrow a CD player from a mate to rule out the source being the issue (Sonos Connect and flac files).

Last edited:
Soldato
I would. Something ain’t right there. I know audio is subjective.....

if you try that and your not happy I guess it’s time to find a nice local hi fi dealer. One that will let you take your stuff in and swap components in and out.

Man of Honour
I would. Something ain’t right there. I know audio is subjective.....

if you try that and your not happy I guess it’s time to find a nice local hi fi dealer. One that will let you take your stuff in and swap components in and out.

Sevenoaks are just down the road, the problem is my speakers aren't exactly mobile, I'm not sure I'd be able to fit them in the car.

Man of Honour
It's a large and mostly squarish room, it's a new build so plasterboard all around. It also has laminate flooring. I'm tempted to get a Roksan CD player as I have a load of CDs and I enjoy albums from start to finish, it could then double up as a DAC for the Sonos if I connect it via digital. It may improve the streaming plus I'm going to get the best input from a CD. I don't fancy paying full price though and the cheapest ex demo I can find is still nearly £1000. Other colours which don't match my amp are available cheaper annoyingly. I will just keep an eye out.

Soldato
It's a large and mostly squarish room, it's a new build so plasterboard all around. It also has laminate flooring. I'm tempted to get a Roksan CD player as I have a load of CDs and I enjoy albums from start to finish, it could then double up as a DAC for the Sonos if I connect it via digital. It may improve the streaming plus I'm going to get the best input from a CD. I don't fancy paying full price though and the cheapest ex demo I can find is still nearly £1000. Other colours which don't match my amp are available cheaper annoyingly. I will just keep an eye out.

I doubt doing this will make a lot of difference unless the Sonos is doing something particularly aggressive (DSP / upsampling) to the output.

What don't you like about their sound?

If the room has bugger all in the way of soft furnishings then you're not going to enjoy a particularly great soundstage.

Soldato
Wow, @Unomelodica, that looks stunning. Very classy. Well done.

I've made a few changes to my little hideaway since I last posted some pics, namely room treatment in the form of broadband acoustic absorbers from www.bluefrogaudio.co.uk (wow, what a difference!), wall-mounting the rear speakers (@agw_01 initially suggested this, and it has made an excellent improvement to the rear soundstage), and some of the new Philips Hue Richer Colours GU10s in the ceiling. At the beginning I told myself I don't need coloured lights overhead. I decided that I was wrong. And I love it. The lights can be a "normal" or as cinematic as I feel.

wpuyhkm.jpg

JMmNGeN.jpg

SQNEbij.jpg

gQ3R8hU.jpg

9VRwskZ.jpg

Sv7tCdF.jpg

eFimbl3.jpg

uyosqBU.jpg

cyLBaL2.jpg

o8bBgla.jpg

NWMXvrZ.jpg

fUkvRqY.jpg