Show us your kitty cats

Associate
YIMNcoS.jpg

Bart had a minute long seizure on Saturday night. Was very scary, one minute he was on my lap, the next he was writhing violently on the floor. Poor guy has had a colourful history healthwise; being born with a fused spine, contracting calicivirus resulting in a badly ulcerated tongue and the removal of all but 2 of his teeth, and in the last few years dealing with hypercalcemia and early chronic kidney disease. Certainly the runt of the litter but he has somehow made it to the ripe old age of 17. Everything seemed to be under control and the vet was super impressed with his current condition at his last checkup, so this has really come out of nowhere. Awaiting results of tests right now but I don't have a great feeling about it.

One of ours started seizures couple of years ago. Diagnosed as epilepsy. Now needs two daily oral injections of 0.5ml kepra medication to keep under control.

Associate
20190512_104658_HDR.jpg
stunning-silver-bengal-girl-5bf32e5eb3ec9.webp

This is Lana my bengal girl. She can be a handful at times but i love her to bits. She is mainly a house cat but i do let her outside every now and then on a lead as you can see in the pic lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fernley is quite settled now. He can go anywhere in the house but seems to stay upstairs. He comes to us for strokes and headbutts us (which I think is putting his scent on us?) He spends a lot of the day sleeping in our room behind the bed which is odd, but he is quite friendly with us now. He follows us around quite a lot. He usually runs into the bedroom and jumps onto the bed meowing for pets when we get in from work and go to the bedroom to get changed. Last night we fell asleep with him sprawled on our bed. He's played a bit with a feather on a string too, and lets himself be bribed by dreamies!

Sometime's he'll get scared when one of us walks around upstairs which leads to him running back and forth between his room and the bedroom but he is usually back a minute or two later.

He is very hard to photograph!

b9tmyi4h.jpg

Associate
Glad to hear he's settling in and it didn't take too long!

It's possible he's not used to the noise from upstairs or associates it with something negative from his previous owner, but I'm sure he'll chill out over time.

Soldato
Fernley is quite settled now. He can go anywhere in the house but seems to stay upstairs. He comes to us for strokes and headbutts us (which I think is putting his scent on us?) He spends a lot of the day sleeping in our room behind the bed which is odd, but he is quite friendly with us now. He follows us around quite a lot. He usually runs into the bedroom and jumps onto the bed meowing for pets when we get in from work and go to the bedroom to get changed. Last night we fell asleep with him sprawled on our bed. He's played a bit with a feather on a string too, and lets himself be bribed by dreamies!

Sometime's he'll get scared when one of us walks around upstairs which leads to him running back and forth between his room and the bedroom but he is usually back a minute or two later.

He is very hard to photograph!
Great that he has settled in well. It's fab that he is already showing you some love and is getting used to you. The headbutting is certainly a sign of affection. My 13 yr old boy, Sky actually does it on command, lol.we say, kisses Sky, and he does it every time.

The behind the bed sleeping is normal. My two usually sleep up on the bed with us. However some nights they will go under the bed below where our heads are and sleep there. We can always tell as Sky snores. Cracks me up everytime.

Dunno what's in dreamies but Sky and TJ go crazy for them, just like the adverts.

Man of Honour
Here is a update for anybody who is interested after my essay on Garfield last week.

Things came to a head yesterday and I realised that we just couldn't carry on like this. I came home from town around dinnertime and still no Garfield (he wasn't around for breakfast earlier) I had my dinner, went back to the kitchen and there he was at the cat flap. I let him in and he dived on his food. Once done he went into the living room and jumped up on his bed (my chair, or used to be anyway!!). I sat next to him and as usual he was straight on my lap. I was giving him loads of cuddles and stroking him when I noticed his foot was swollen up. On closer inspection I could see that his "thumb" claw (don't know how else to describe it, it's the 5th one on the inside of the front paw) on his right front paw had grown into his paw and become infected. I was straight onto the vets but as I feared they wouldn't touch him without her say so. I went around to her place but she wasn't in. Once back home I gently wiped his paw with some warm water to clean it up a bit and made him comfy. He then curled up and went to sleep until the wife came home.

It wasn't until just after 19.00 that his owner came home and I finally got to speak to her. She invited me in to have a chat, christ I wished I remained on the doorstep. The house was stinking and nearly made me sick. The kitchen had dirty plates and washing on every work top. No wonder Garfield never goes home!! I asked her if she had seen Garfield lately to which she replied not for a couple of weeks which then turned into a few months as she hasn't had time to go and collect him. In other words exactly as I suspected and not since before Easter. I said that he needs to go to the vets and explained about his paw and how the vets won't do anything without her say so. She said she would come and get him in the morning and take him up first thing. Then she remembered a doctors appointment so it would be mid afternoon, then something else and it would be Friday. I made my mind up by this point and it was clear that the 4th child (6 weeks old) has proven too much for her and she just can't cope anymore. I just came out asked her if she would be willing to sign Garfield over to me. She said yes straight away which confirmed my thoughts. I asked her several times if she was sure during the rest of our conversation and she confirmed it everytime. We agreed that I would draw up a transfer of ownership agreement which we would both sign and agreed a time to come around in the morning to sign it. Next morning at the agreed time of 08.20 I went around with the form and we both signed making Garfield almost mine and just the vets to be updated. She said he was due worming soon and his annual jab as well. She would hunt around for the microchip paperwork for transfer to me.

Got home and phoned the vets straight away and got him a appointment at 09.20. I didn't have to catch him as Garfield had remained in all night for the very first time. Took him to the vets and the form I drew up was good enough to transfer ownership. Once his records were transferred to my account I found out that his last visit to the vets was in 2016!! I remember that clearly as we used to have a huge white male cat come around beating up all the other cats and he did a job on Garfields tail. He hasn't been inoculated since late 2015 and she hadn't got any worming or flea treatments from them although she could have got them from elsewhere. Got into the vet and told him the sad tale of Garfield and that from now I am his owner (slave more like). He gave him a good check over and examined the paw. Luckily he could just cut the claw back and clean up the wound as it had burst overnight. He got a antibiotic jab for that as well. We discussed the state of his coat and I explained that I bought some dematting tools and had got almost all of the mats on his back and sides and will get the rest over the next day or so. I can't do his belly though as they are so bad. He is going into the vets on Tuesday because his teeth are so badly caked in tartar they will have to put him under to clean them so we agreed that he would shave the mats on his belly as it would be the best course of action for Garfield. They are also going to run a blood test to check his kidneys etc at the same time. Anything he needs doing is going to be done. We are starting his annual inoculation from scratch as it been so long since his last one so he had the initial jab this morning then the second three weeks later. He has no health issues on record so that's a good thing. I left the vets with my wallet £66 lighter. You know what? I really don't care how much it will cost. He is a gorgeous cat with such a affectionate temperment and deserves a safe, warm home where he will be loved and spoilt like my two girls are. I now Have three cats!! :D

I learnt something interesting at the vets and this could help @Mercenary Keyboard Warrior with regards to the microchip in his cat. The vet scanned Garfield microchip and wrote the number down for me. When I went to settle up for his treatment I asked the girls on the desk how do I update the keeper and address. Apparently the first three digits of the microchip number is the company it's registered to. They looked it up and found the company and gave me a card to contact them. This may or may not be needed because despite what his ex owner told me he is actually registered to her so she should have the paperwork to transfer ownership for a small fee of around £6 (my £25 was way off). If she can't find the paperwork all I need to do is contact the company who will confirm ownership with the vets and transfer him over to me, again, for a small fee. It looks like that will solve your problem with your cat as well so I hope this is of use to you.

snip snip snipity snip

Thanks, and good news, glad to hear :)

Our issue is we fear they would take her back, only to jut stick her straight outside. We think the issue is probably the kids, who probably wanted her back even though they totally ignored her.

She has pretty much turned into an inside cat now. During winter she goes out twice a day max, to do the obvious we believe. Although she has a tray so she doesn't technically need to go out.
In the summer she really wants to be outside most of the day, she loves shed surfing, so sleeping on a warm shed basically.
She doesn't stray far really the vast majority of the time. Most worrying is when she tries to follow us.
Which reminds me of a funny story. Last house when she sort of lived with us we went for a walk, there was a natural area near us, a pond, lots of trees, a footpath etc.
She followed us there then she disappeared, we figured she had gone home and was used to going there. Didn't see her rest of that day. The following morning still not about. Started to wonder.
I went for a walk, no sign of her. By late morning still not about so went for a walk together and worked out where she was when last we saw her. Walked off the main path into the trees calling her.
Then the other half said she could hear something, we eventually found her about 30 feet up a tree! Kept calling her, nope not coming.
I went home and got some dreamies and she came down almost immediately! The worst thing was that night had been terrible, it rained and was really stormy, she must have been up the tree all that time.
We now have to be super cautious if we walk somewhere from home and she is out to follow us, she tries it on almost constantly!

I do know the chip number as the vet scanned it and put it on her card and their system, will consider if we should take the risk of the chip company contact.

Would be great to hear what they say when you speak to them for the transfer :)

Soldato
My Millie a rescue cat took to following me once she could go out when I used to go for a paper and milk in the early morning. 5 years later she looks for her walk in the morning all year round.
Initially I was very concerned that she would get lost etc but not any more. Traffic is very quiet, we know most of the dog walkers and it is something she loves.
Here is a little clip of her after I let her out of the carrier after a visit to the vet for her annual check up.

Soldato
Millie has good road sense by the look of it - She really is a nice looking cat.

Off to Vet in a couple of hours -Ronnie has been off his food and drinking a lot of water. Guess what - the minute you book them in they suddenly get better.

It may also be I gave him a steroid yesterday for his asthma and another today but still a check up won't hurt - We have got it right this time-- Last time we thought a early visit so we could grab him before he went out -Big mistake - he wet himself on way home. -- he has been out and is now back in in front of the fire.

Man of Honour
Thanks, and good news, glad to hear :)

Our issue is we fear they would take her back, only to jut stick her straight outside. We think the issue is probably the kids, who probably wanted her back even though they totally ignored her.

She has pretty much turned into an inside cat now. During winter she goes out twice a day max, to do the obvious we believe. Although she has a tray so she doesn't technically need to go out.
In the summer she really wants to be outside most of the day, she loves shed surfing, so sleeping on a warm shed basically.
She doesn't stray far really the vast majority of the time. Most worrying is when she tries to follow us.
Which reminds me of a funny story. Last house when she sort of lived with us we went for a walk, there was a natural area near us, a pond, lots of trees, a footpath etc.
She followed us there then she disappeared, we figured she had gone home and was used to going there. Didn't see her rest of that day. The following morning still not about. Started to wonder.
I went for a walk, no sign of her. By late morning still not about so went for a walk together and worked out where she was when last we saw her. Walked off the main path into the trees calling her.
Then the other half said she could hear something, we eventually found her about 30 feet up a tree! Kept calling her, nope not coming.
I went home and got some dreamies and she came down almost immediately! The worst thing was that night had been terrible, it rained and was really stormy, she must have been up the tree all that time.
We now have to be super cautious if we walk somewhere from home and she is out to follow us, she tries it on almost constantly!

I do know the chip number as the vet scanned it and put it on her card and their system, will consider if we should take the risk of the chip company contact.

Would be great to hear what they say when you speak to them for the transfer :)

Thirty feet up a tree, that's some climb. My youngest, Abby, got stuck up a huge tree (all of seven feet high!!) a few years ago. The problem was that it had been snowing and when I reached up to get her down she jumped and all the snow covered me. She probably did it on purpose. :D

I will keep you updated. The vet seems to think it won't be a problem mainly due to all the dogs that have to be chipped now and lots of owners changing addresses. I will give her a few days to see if she can find any paperwork and if not I will phone the chip people and let you know how I get on.

My Millie a rescue cat took to following me once she could go out when I used to go for a paper and milk in the early morning. 5 years later she looks for her walk in the morning all year round.
Initially I was very concerned that she would get lost etc but not any more. Traffic is very quiet, we know most of the dog walkers and it is something she loves.
Here is a little clip of her after I let her out of the carrier after a visit to the vet for her annual check up.

Ours would do that, but shes a jumpy one, we know she had at least one significant injury before we adopted her as she had some scans last year (attacked we think) and the vet said she had old damage. We refuse to accept it was the old owners, it could have caused us to take direct action ;)
So whilst she would certainly start walking with us she would panic at some point.
we did try a lead, she insisted on only walking backwards in it ;)

Thirty feet up a tree, that's some climb. My youngest, Abby, got stuck up a huge tree (all of seven feet high!!) a few years ago. The problem was that it had been snowing and when I reached up to get her down she jumped and all the snow covered me. She probably did it on purpose. :D

I will keep you updated. The vet seems to think it won't be a problem mainly due to all the dogs that have to be chipped now and lots of owners changing addresses. I will give her a few days to see if she can find any paperwork and if not I will phone the chip people and let you know how I get on.

Awesome thanks dude.
I would say actually more than 30 in reality, seriously tall trees. My other half was like "you climb up and get her" I was no ****** chance I haven't climbed a tree since I was about 10 but I still remember coming down is a lot harder than going up!
If the dreamies hadn't worked it was going to be the fire service. Luckily the lure of dreamies and probably hunger got the better of her. She jumped about the last 7 or so feet as well, Straight into my arms. The bottom bit was branch free probably to stop kids climbing it, its close to a school.

Soldato
20190512_104658_HDR.jpg
stunning-silver-bengal-girl-5bf32e5eb3ec9.webp

This is Lana my bengal girl. She can be a handful at times but i love her to bits. She is mainly a house cat but i do let her outside every now and then on a lead as you can see in the pic lol.

Lovely looking cat, but are you sure it’s a Bengal? I ask as someone who has owned multiple Bengals from an F2 (technically required a wild animal permit) onwards and have the scars/paperwork to prove it. We moved onto Mau’s (scroll back far enough and you’ll find my post in this thread with 3 Bengals and our first Mau).

Caporegime
She is mainly a house cat but i do let her outside every now and then on a lead as you can see in the pic lol.
Was beginning to think I was the only one...

She's gorge, of course :)

This time of year my pampered indoor puss doesn't want to do much more than stand at the door, sniff the cold air, glance at the damp floor, then look at me as if to say, "You didn't honestly plan to go out in this, did you?" It takes me longer to put the harness on and off again that we spend outside.

Back
Top Bottom