Show us your kitty cats

We have a similar story.
At our old house (which we rented) we suddenly had a cat in our garden, the other half actually though we had a snake. Turns out it was "kittys" tail. Sleeping on top of a planter in a mini greenhouse.

Cat started spending more and more time around us (I dislike cats) but we wern't feeding it. The the other half picked it up and said on my its weighs nothing. Me still not a cat person ignored this. Other half insisted I bought some cat food when shopping so I bought the cheapest tesco value biscuits. Took them home and it ate a massive amount, and how you imagine you would eat a prime steak if you had had nothing to eat for a week.

Over time this same cat slowly spent some time inside, I resisted this a lot, but she would let the cat in and eventually one day I was reading on the bed, cat hopped up and sat next to me. I am reminded now when other half got home saying oh shes quite sweet really.

The coming in got more and more and I kept saying we are not allowed a cat! Eventually we agreed to contact some cat places and when one had a space kitty was taken there. We were all actually sad, but thought it was for the best.

Next day we had a phone call, the cat belonged to our next door but one neighbours. Now these we knew we wernt that happy with. Had dogs locked in a small cage in the garden with them shock collars on to stop them barking.
But anyway said neighbours went and recovered kitty and she was back. The cat people said you have two choices if she keeps coming back, either ignore her or let her in and in effect adopt her. Next day she was back at our door, within 2-3 days she was clearly starving again and desperate to get in. That was it, she moved in and spent increasingly longer periods at ours.

The dilema happened a few years ago, we were moving to our new house, we no longer needed to be where we were (kids) so could go back to living away from town. We had to decide basically between taking kitty or not, we decided we had to.

Plenty of people have said cats choose their owners.

We waited around 6 months after moving to get her jabbed, we said we didnt think she was probably up to date and the vet said it would be fine to do the starter course on jabs again at that point.

The only thing we fear is that as shes chipped to the "old owners" should something bad happen they would get the call. Its just a risk we have to live with.

Shes a little bugger and I love her to bits, she literally converted me from being a dog lover to a cat lover.

So I would say, keep him, love him, and just accept your doing the best for him you can.

Soldato
In the late 60's I went to see a mate at his house and when I sat down his cat came up to me and tried to sit on my lap - I kept nudging it off and mate said you are a cat man - "bullpoo" I don't like cats as we had always had dogs since I was 5.
Fast forward 20 yrs and we took in a few feral strays and now have two of our own.
Cats know you are a cat man.

Man of Honour
@Mercenary Keyboard Warrior Thanks for that MKW, that's a side of you I haven't seen on here before, you big softy. :p We have practically taken him on full time now anyway. He is in 13-14 hours a day now and we just need to keep trying to get him to settle at night instead of going back to next doors shed. We just want to do the right thing for him and be the best "owners" we can although it would seem that he adopted us and not the other way around. We now have three cats plotting our demise at night!! The cheeky chappie had me in stitches earlier. The wife came home from work and after she ate her snack and drank her coffee she went to sleep lying down on the sofa (she's up at 4.40 every weekday morning). Garfield came into the living room after having something to eat and because she was sleeping in his spot he climbed up her and went to sleep on top of her. :D

As for your cats microchip, the vet should be able to read the code and put you in touch with the people who run the register who you can then ask to swap over to your address. I think it costs £25 to have it changed.

Soldato
Take him in, get him a booster. Unless he's had one very recently I wouldn't worry about giving another. Deny all knowledge if asked. :p

I'd do the same deny all knowledge if asked, I wouldn't mention it either. Clearly they care little for him and the broken tooth and bloody nose is highly suspect too, he's at yours and your neighbour's because he's not happy where he is and even living under a bush is preferable to where he came from. He's clearly made up his mind, have you?
Patience is the key with cats, things will happen only in their own time and they will not be rushed.
Lovely looking cat by the way.

Aye dogs you give orders to, cats you enter into negotiations with lol.
In the late 60's I went to see a mate at his house and when I sat down his cat came up to me and tried to sit on my lap - I kept nudging it off and mate said you are a cat man - "bullpoo" I don't like cats as we had always had dogs since I was 5.
Fast forward 20 yrs and we took in a few feral strays and now have two of our own.
Cats know you are a cat man.

When we were kids we used to pitch a tent in the garden and pretend we were camping like kids do, sleeping under the stars was exciting. Anyway one night I woke I wasn't sure what it was but something was in the tent with us... got into a bit of panic found a torch and it was black cat curled up on the bag. Well I wasn't having any of that and shooed it out, never been up close with a cat before with its reflective eyes and sharp claws! Bloody hell not having that!

Well the cat came back again, and again, she was very patient with us never showed any irritation was always calm and tolerant, I got to thinking "thats a very cute cat..." well one thing lead to another and she more or less moved in with us. And very happy we were to have her, never even thought about cats before much less keeping one as a pet, perish the thought.

The rest as they say, is history.

Man of Honour
a7Aa3SE.jpg

hJLYfP1.jpg

My little baby :)

I’m really annoyed this evening though. Her eye infection has moved to the eye that the vet said not to bother putting drops into. Entirely predictable and now I have to do the whole process over. She’ll be thrilled.

Man of Honour
I’m so in love with her. I’ve phoned the vet several times because I’ve been worried about something or other. I have cameras setup so I can see her while I’m in work. She’s moved beyond the super cuddly phase sadly - the first few weeks she would fall asleep on me for hours, often upside down! She’s still pretty cuddly though and she follows me everywhere I go in the house.

Man of Honour
:) I love it when they wake up all sleepy.

My wife decided we needed a second kitten to keep our first company. Our new ragdoll that we will collect in 3 weeks (just as I finish work for Christmas!)...

Associate
Floof number 1 - Baggy - 2.5 years old (Bagheera (Jungle Book))

ztyYY3ll.jpg

MViFHRWl.jpg

Floof number 2 - Willow 1.5 years old :)

lH7rHgHl.jpg

SQ8RphYl.jpg

yQkVqAll.jpg

Baggy is a demon cat, lovely 80% of the time but occasionally just flips and attacks Willow resulting in her screaming the house down and us having to pull him off her. Willow is the most gentle pet I've had, doesn't go for him or us in anyway, keeps to herself - Don't know what Baggy's problem is :(

Associate
YIMNcoS.jpg

Bart had a minute long seizure on Saturday night. Was very scary, one minute he was on my lap, the next he was writhing violently on the floor. Poor guy has had a colourful history healthwise; being born with a fused spine, contracting calicivirus resulting in a badly ulcerated tongue and the removal of all but 2 of his teeth, and in the last few years dealing with hypercalcemia and early chronic kidney disease. Certainly the runt of the litter but he has somehow made it to the ripe old age of 17. Everything seemed to be under control and the vet was super impressed with his current condition at his last checkup, so this has really come out of nowhere. Awaiting results of tests right now but I don't have a great feeling about it.

Back
Top Bottom