• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Decided to hang on to my 4770K in the end. 4.7GHz still feels fast enough for now. Might try and wait until Zen 3/4 so I go with AM5 platform. Gives AMD a year or two to sort out there issues also and get it right from the start.

Associate
Finally jumped, first big upgrade since 2012. 3770 (non k), to 3800x. I upgraded every couple years from 2000 until 2012, then intel put the handbrake on and amd were nowhere.

If this can last me another seven years, it will be money well spent. Old parts are being used for a 1st pc for my boy.

Associate
Moving my long in the tooth 3570K to a Ryzen 3600 later this week, along with doubling the RAM to 16GB DDR4-3600 and grabbing an NVMe boot drive. A lot more affordable than it might have been due to some help from my friends, which means I also have my eyes on a GPU (though I wish RTX wasn't quite so pricey).

Associate
Been a while since this thread was bumped, so thought I would check-in and see how those who made the jump to Ryzen are getting on now that things have settled down BIOS/ Chipset wise?

With the current offers, I'm eyeing an upgrade to a 3600X, Tomahawk Max, 8Pack 3600Mhz RAM and an NVME drive.

Soldato
OP
My PC is fine I guess. Not had any BIOS or chipset /CPU issues but I am running the latest x470 prime Pro BIOS and drivers anyway.

I couldn't really see a huge difference from my 4770K at 1080p really. I was getting about 60fps before with high CPU usage and now I gr about 60fps with low CPU usage

But ive just upgraded to a 144Hz monitor and the 4770K might have been significantly worse than the 3700x!

Soldato
I went for a 3600 and X570 Strix E board with 32GB RAM for now so a fair upgrade for me.
Everything seems to be running pretty much spot on and now just waiting for the release of the Lancool 2 case in December to complete everything.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Been a while since this thread was bumped, so thought I would check-in and see how those who made the jump to Ryzen are getting on now that things have settled down BIOS/ Chipset wise?

With the current offers, I'm eyeing an upgrade to a 3600X, Tomahawk Max, 8Pack 3600Mhz RAM and an NVME drive.

I upgraded in the end and happy I did :)

No difference in fps in games for me as I game at 4K and was GPU limited before I even upgraded, but in terms of raw performance there is obviously a huge increase.

One thing I can say is this last BIOS update has improved things and should lead to smoother sailing. One of the biggest improvements is the bootup time which improved a lot and is now as fast, if not faster than my 4770K and ASUS Hero mobo.

You have a nice combo there, only thing I would say is, if you think you may want to upgrade to a 4900X in a couple of years time to double your core count and better IPC etc then I would go for a X570 mobo like my Gigabyte Aorus Elite. We are not talking much more money here, like £70 someone mentioned recently is the difference. But if you think you will just sell and upgrade to the new AM5 platform in 2-3 years then what you are considering getting is perfect.

Also a heads up, I heard the recent 3600's OC better, mine does 4.4GHz on all cores without a problem, which makes a 3600X pointless then. I would not pay more than £30 extra for it.

Soldato

I have a 3600 in a tomahawk max and it's been rock solid, there was some teething problems with the early bios but it's all good now. Running a 4.2 all core oc with 16gb 8pack 3200/cl14 ram clocked at 3800/cl16, managed to get tighter timings than my bro even though he's running a x570 taichi with his 8pack stuff.

Even though the tomahawk max is a budget board it's capable of handling a 16 core 3950x so plenty of upgrade options in the future. Would also recomend a 1tb nvme as its only got 1 m.2 slot so worth maxing it out, corsair force mp510, sabrent rocket or silicon power p34a80 are all excellent choice nvmes for price/performance at around the £100 mark for 1tb.

Soldato
I've just ordered an AMD 3800X due to it dropping to £340 with hopefully 15% cash back! I now need to pad out the rest of the build. I'm thinking the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite motherboard and Patriot Viper Steel 4000Mhz RAM.

My 2500K has been absolutely immense for nearly 9 years, but I think its time has come!

Soldato
I've picked up an R5 3600X with an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16GB Crucial Ballistix LT Sport RAM (3200Mhz) and an ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe. It should hopefully be here tomorrow so I can get it all up-and-running. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it all performs!

Associate
I upgraded to 3600, all fine, now, made a mission to fit a large cooler in a tiny case, done! Hitman doesn't lag as much as it did, now I'm GPU limited, I'm now ready for a 3070 GPU upgrade and AAA games of 2020. And patched ones of 2019 :) NVMe is a beast (for unzipping :))

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I upgraded to 3600, all fine, now, made a mission to fit a large cooler in a tiny case, done! Hitman doesn't lag as much as it did, now I'm GPU limited, I'm now ready for a 3070 GPU upgrade and AAA games of 2020. And patched ones of 2019 :) NVMe is a beast (for unzipping :))
Same here :)

I am still on a SSD though, not been in a rush to jump on NVMe, waiting for the right deal.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Same here :)

I am still on a SSD though, not been in a rush to jump on NVMe, waiting for the right deal.

there has been some good deals on nvme though justnot so much on samsung they really do hold a price premuim in sales. But the adata xpg 8200 pro 1tb nvme ssd for less the £100 pounds is a very good deal for a very faste pci3 drive

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
there has been some good deals on nvme though justnot so much on samsung they really do hold a price premuim in sales. But the adata xpg 8200 pro 1tb nvme ssd for less the £100 pounds is a very good deal for a very faste pci3 drive
I agree there has. Been waiting for the Samsung one’s to drop though. Was close to picking up a Sabrant 1tb one recently for around eighty quid but then I read they did a bate and switch with some of the components on the drive which put me off. Rather stick with brands I am comfortable with if possible.

TrM

TrM

Associate
I agree there has. Been waiting for the Samsung one’s to drop though. Was close to picking up a Sabrant 1tb one recently for around eighty quid but then I read they did a bate and switch with some of the components on the drive which put me off. Rather stick with brands I am comfortable with if possible.

i guessed that from sticking to a samsung evo 860:) I was looking for a samsung 970 evo plus to go on black friday sale but on other sites and overclockers they only went down do 160ish for 1tb thats then i went for the adata one at less the 100 pounds. that 970 evo plus really didn't get much of a sale vs the others:(

Back
Top Bottom