• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Associate
Still cant decide to go for a 3700X now or hold on till next week at least to get a 3800X ….. got motherboard and most of the other bits. Wish I had taken the plunge on the 3800X when it was cheap on BF and Cyber Monday.

Soldato
Still cant decide to go for a 3700X now or hold on till next week at least to get a 3800X ….. got motherboard and most of the other bits. Wish I had taken the plunge on the 3800X when it was cheap on BF and Cyber Monday.

I would personally go for a 3700X but I'm going off info from when they were first released. I'm unsure if anything has changed much with the 3800X with firmware updates.

I went for the 3600 to then drop a 4xxx into my board just so I could get a higher core and hopefully the faster chip for the final release of AM4.

Soldato
I managed to collect all my bits this evening:
  • AMD 3800X
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
  • 16Gb Crucial Ballistix
  • Scythe Fuma 2
I went with the 3800X as the difference in cost over the lifetime of the CPU compared to the 3700X is likely to be irrelevant and there's a chance of a better bin for hopefully higher speeds.

I'm hoping to put it all together and install Windows tomorrow evening. Hopefully I notice a massive difference compared to my venerable 2500K!

Man of Honour
I've now had almost a complete refresh. Today I put together:

* 3700x
* Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
* 32gb Crucial Ballistix Sport LT
* Noctua DH D15s

I already had a Radeon VII, almost new Seasonic 850w PSU and an unused Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case which I bought last year and stored away. The icing on the cake was the Alienware AW3420DW monitor which I also just got today. In the last few months I've also replace my desk with a beautiful white one and my chair with a Humanscale Freedom. In fact the only item I've not replaced recently is the keyboard which does now look old an chunky (an orginal Razer Blackwidow).

My old 3930k setup died almost three months ago so it's nice having a gaming system again.

Soldato
seriously thinking my 2600Ks days are numbered

not because it doesnt do what i need it to do sitting between 4.8 and 5ghz depending on summer or winter config its still absolutely fine for everything i use it for which is nothign more than a bit of 1440p gaming and even then nothing too demanding.

but the upgrade itch is strong and i want 12 cores 24 threads no reason at all or no way to justify it but much want

Soldato
I'm looking to upgrade from my i7 4790k, partly because the MB is getting slightly dodgy, but also because I would like the extra cores and threads of a modern processor for video compression. My current rig runs games at perfectly acceptable rates, so that's not an issue. Not sure if I want to go Intel or AMD. Last AMD I had was an Athlon 64, so my experiences in this regard are well out of date.

Soldato
Upgraded my pc a couple of months ago now, 3770k OC, 16gb to 3700X, X570 Aorus Elite, 32GB 3200 (same GTX 1080, which I may upgrade next gen).

This will hopefully keep me going for a while but I don’t see it lasting as long as my 3770k which definitely still has life left in it.

Man of Honour
I'm looking to upgrade from my i7 4790k, partly because the MB is getting slightly dodgy, but also because I would like the extra cores and threads of a modern processor for video compression. My current rig runs games at perfectly acceptable rates, so that's not an issue. Not sure if I want to go Intel or AMD. Last AMD I had was an Athlon 64, so my experiences in this regard are well out of date.
Intel are very slightly ahead for games (only just) but much more expensive than AMD. AMD is ahead for everything else and is much cheaper. It is also expected that new CPU's from AMD next year will probably come to the existing AM4 socket.

The consensus right now is basically just pick an AMD Ryzen chip in your budget.

Associate
I just bit the bullet and went for a 3800x (comming from a 4790K which was still great )

4790K to 3800x
16gb 2666 to 32gb 3600
570 motherboard
and keeping my Vega 56

all comming next week and i hope it will be worth it as all the advice came from here :D

Soldato
I just bit the bullet and went for a 3800x (comming from a 4790K which was still great )

4790K to 3800x
16gb 2666 to 32gb 3600
570 motherboard
and keeping my Vega 56

all comming next week and i hope it will be worth it as all the advice came from here :D
If it all boots up and works you won't regret it, the improvement I got from a 3770k in CPU heavy games was massive.

Soldato
I managed to collect all my bits this evening:
  • AMD 3800X
  • Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
  • 16Gb Crucial Ballistix
  • Scythe Fuma 2
I went with the 3800X as the difference in cost over the lifetime of the CPU compared to the 3700X is likely to be irrelevant and there's a chance of a better bin for hopefully higher speeds.

I'm hoping to put it all together and install Windows tomorrow evening. Hopefully I notice a massive difference compared to my venerable 2500K!
Having our it all together and played a lot of PUBG this afternoon/evening I'm really pleased with how much smoother it is. I've gone from 100% CPU usage in game to about 25%. I'm no longer CPU limited and my RX480 can perform to its best.

I need to tweak the RAM to get it hopefully to 3600Mhz+ but otherwise I think I'll let the CPU manage its speed itself.

Soldato
I've now had almost a complete refresh. Today I put together:

* 3700x
* Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
* 32gb Crucial Ballistix Sport LT
* Noctua DH D15s

I already had a Radeon VII, almost new Seasonic 850w PSU and an unused Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case which I bought last year and stored away. The icing on the cake was the Alienware AW3420DW monitor which I also just got today. In the last few months I've also replace my desk with a beautiful white one and my chair with a Humanscale Freedom. In fact the only item I've not replaced recently is the keyboard which does now look old an chunky (an orginal Razer Blackwidow).

My old 3930k setup died almost three months ago so it's nice having a gaming system again.
What're your load temps with the Noctua?

Man of Honour
What're your load temps with the Noctua?
Sorry for the slight delay. I'm currently in Linux and have just tried stressing it using the Linux stress tool. I set it to stress just the CPU and not other components. After 10 mins the peak it hit was 66.4 degrees. I'll be playing some games tonight under Windows so I'll check the temps after a gaming session and report back.

The case is a Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (the first gen one without the additional holes in the front panel for cooling). So cooling is quite good in that case but not stellar. I have kept the stock fans in the case and also the stock fan on the Noctua.

Back
Top Bottom