Greta Thunberg

Caporegime
Maybe just go back to a literal road usage tax, at least then it can be directly tied to maintenance and infrastructure spending. I mean if folks don’t just want to add it to general taxation, exempt bicycles as they barely if at all damage the surface of roads, even if they annoy some folks... I guess a weight limit would suffice.

Soldato
Maybe just go back to a literal road usage tax, at least then it can be directly tied to maintenance and infrastructure spending. I mean if folks don’t just want to add it to general taxation, exempt bicycles as they barely if at all damage the surface of roads, even if they annoy some folks... I guess a weight limit would suffice.

My next vehicle purchase is a pedelec or ebike.

I don't actually own a car since retirement but I do occasionally steal my wife's car.

Soldato

Most of them own cars anyway, but cycling in cities should be encouraged. Shame its perceived as dangerous and aggressive drivers put many off doing it.

Man of Honour
Maybe just go back to a literal road usage tax

but but but I already pay road tax, my idiot mate says so.

My next vehicle purchase is a pedelec or ebike.

I don't actually own a car since retirement but I do occasionally steal my wife's car.

I got rid of my car 18 months ago and ride to most places on one of my 2x e-Bikes.
I use the wife's car at the most once a week when I'm gigging with my band.

Man of Honour
I always hear this, this is a 'small part' that is a 'small part'.... well guess what, many small changes add up to something big. People can blame big businesses but ultimately it is consumer demand that causes it.

Small changes only add up to something big if (a) there are enough small changes and (b) they are changes in the right things. In this case, neither is true.

If someone has a broken leg with a gaping wound in it and also has some much more minor cuts on their arm, treating the cuts on their arm is of some use and should be done but it won't "add up to something big" in terms of helping with their injuries.

In the case of emissions, "add up to something big" would require massively restricting international trade and travel. Which would be hugely unpopular, massively harmful to many people and probably impossible anyway.

The ordinary people can only stop using their cars but that will ultimately mean another economic disaster, and many businesses go bankrupt.
Isn't it simply easier for the automotive manufacturers to stop immediately making ICE vehicles?? [..]

Easier, maybe. Although of course that would also "mean another economic disaster, and many businesses go bankrupt". Businesses involved in cars, of course, as all of the knowledge and most of the parts become irrelevant, but also pretty much everything else since the effects would be the same as "ordinary people stop using their cars" since the infrastructure to support universal EV use doesn't exist, can't yet exist and wouldn't be sustainable if it did exist. So people would indeed stop using their cars because they wouldn't be able to use their cars.

High concentrations of CO2 are used in greenhouses to speed up the growth of plants but the greens and climate emergency alarmists want zero emissions, if plants were to become sentient the equivalent would be like them getting together and agreeing to zero emissions on oxygen. Photosynthesis forms the cycle of life on Earth.

Do we need to cut down on other pollution? yes, do we need to reduce deforestation? yes. but the "climate emergency" scare due to CO2 is laughable, plants will be loving and thriving on any increase in CO2 and they will produce more oxygen as a result.

Even if that's true (and don't think it is because I think that the CO2 output exceeds the ability of existing plant growth to process it), that would be a different problem. The very large amount of oxygen produced as a result would increase oxygen levels in the atmosphere and that would be a problem. Humans can breathe air with much higher amounts of oxygen, but it would significantly change the environment in a variety of ways. Most directly relevantly to us is that it would increase the risk and severity of fires.

Caporegime
Greta Thunberg says she's upset because the climate strikes have had no effect, and nothing has changed.

Any sensible person could have foreseen this, and most did.

Greta just doesn't understand how the world works. I hope she's learned a valuable lesson.

Soldato
Greta Thunberg says she's upset because the climate strikes have had no effect, and nothing has changed.

Any sensible person could have foreseen this, and most did.

Greta just doesn't understand how the world works. I hope she's learned a valuable lesson.

She has done nothing herself though really.

She sailed across the ocean, on an un-recyclable carbon fibre ship (which also had a diesel engine) captained by a guy who flew out there on an airliner just for that job. It's all just a publicity stunt now. She might be living the "eco friendly" life, but the people around her trying to meet her many demands aren't.

Last edited:
Caporegime
She has done nothing herself though really.

She sailed across the ocean, on an un-recyclable carbon fibre ship (which also had a diesel engine)

Where to start with this...A carbon fibre boat is going to last up to 100 years, and requires little to no maintenance. They are required by racing regulations to have a backup engine, but the engine was locked away and is fitted with an electric motor for use in emergencies.

captained by a guy who flew out there on an airliner just for that job.

There was a good reason for this, to be fair:

Henderson was forced to make the flight last second because protests in Chile caused the U.N.’s Cop25 climate summit to be moved to Madrid, Spain. Thunberg was set to speak at the conference but needed to leave the U.S. sooner than expected.

Associate
I'm a fan of hers. I believe she a force for good, trying to make the world a better place. To all the non-fans: What have you done to make the world a better place? :) Maybe that's where the hate comes from. The guilt of knowing she is right.

Soldato
No they just hate children and the world in general it would seem. These people dont have consciences.
She's almost 17, she is not a child, despite her parents creepily dressing her up as one with pigtails to make her look about 10. You've fallen for it hook, line and sinker. At age 16 quite a few friends of mine, I would say 50% from school, had full time jobs, and I know maybe 5-6 people that had their own kids at that age including my mother in law.

The whole 'child' rhetoric is there to shut down debate, nothing else.

Man of Honour
I am puzzled at the irrational levels of hatred that some posters here exhibit about Greta Thunberg . . . guilty conscience about their wasteful, polluting existence?

So a Facebook 'friend' of mine has put a big post comparing Greta to Dr Judith Curry who he's holding up as a hero.
I then point out that she is the most debunked person ever and has actually given up now because of it.
He replies "I'm not interested in that little **** Greta" to which I point out he's that not interested he's just started a big post about her :)

Soldato
She's almost 17, she is not a child, despite her parents creepily dressing her up as one with pigtails to make her look about 10. You've fallen for it hook, line and sinker. At age 16 quite a few friends of mine, I would say 50% from school, had full time jobs, and I know maybe 5-6 people that had their own kids at that age including my mother in law.

The whole 'child' rhetoric is there to shut down debate, nothing else.
How about just concentrate on the 'hate the world' part instead if it bothers you that much?

Soldato
Why assume that criticism of you or others fawning over her necessarily implies that someone would be anti green or hates the world etc..
Im not fawning over her. I dont think Ive ever said anything positive about her. More Virtue signalling from you again dowie. or is it just defecation as usual. Or just your hatred for anything not spiteful?

Back
Top Bottom