Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
A while ago I bought a TP Link Archer dual band usb wi-fi adapter since my laptop doesn't have an ac network card and only uses the 2.4 ghz bandwidth. The TP Link never gave me my full VM speed and because of the plastic sticking out of the socket, it got broken. I just bought a much cheaper nano sized one, a brand name I'd never heard of but reviews were good, which only sticks out about 6 mm so much less chance of it breaking. I've just set it up with the included mini CD and it's giving me full speed just like on my phone. Very impressed! I hope it lasts and doesn't fail. (I better not mention the name as it's not in OCuK's shop).

Caporegime
lolwut?

Why do you turn it off?

also why not just buy a smart plug and turn it on 5 minutes before you need it?

do you not have stuff which needs wifi on all the time?

I have a smart doorbell, smart smoke detectors, smart cctv, smart thermostat, the list goes on and on. therefore internet is on 24/7.

How would a smart plug work without internet :p?

Permabanned
The HUB3 is slow to boot up, no way I unplug it night and if it matters to you (FTP etc) you could loose your "sticky" Dynamic IP address to another customer as there is not enough ipv4 IP's to go around.

Soldato
lolwut?

Why do you turn it off?

also why not just buy a smart plug and turn it on 5 minutes before you need it?

do you not have stuff which needs wifi on all the time?

I have a smart doorbell, smart smoke detectors, smart cctv, smart thermostat, the list goes on and on. therefore internet is on 24/7.

Why anyone would want to turn a hub off/on as when needed is daft, the things are designed to be on 24/7, I've not turned mine off for a good 6 months +, only give it a reboot if something is up or to push an update. Likely use more power just rebooting it all the time than just leaving it on.

Caporegime
Why anyone would want to turn a hub off/on as when needed is daft, the things are designed to be on 24/7, I've not turned mine off for a good 6 months +, only give it a reboot if something is up or to push an update. Likely use more power just rebooting it all the time than just leaving it on.

Yeah it is crazy. But there are folk out there that think by turning it off they will save themselves £100 a year. Truth is a hub will be using 10W or thereabouts so 15p a week. Less than £10 a year to leave on 24/7.

Soldato
Anyone getting flooded with spam from headlines@trib (followed by ever changing letters)? My inbox has been getting them everyday by the bucket load. They're coming from the US. I went to my VM webmail and added a filter rule to send anything containing 'headlines@trib' to the spam folder and it's working well.

Soldato
Can I have both Virgin media and fttc? Currently with plusnet on 80/20 and I've ordered 100M broadband only from virgin wishing to see how it turns out then cancel plusnet providing virgin works fine etc.

Cheers

Associate
Can I have both Virgin media and fttc? Currently with plusnet on 80/20 and I've ordered 100M broadband only from virgin wishing to see how it turns out then cancel plusnet providing virgin works fine etc.

Yes no problem as the Virgin cable is separate from the BT infrastructure for FTTC. I had both for a couple of years when I wanted backup broadband as I had some issues with VM.

Associate
Only have time today to make contact VM about slow download speed after they fixed the area fault on Sunday.
1st call, I connected to overseas team, he told me I have to monitor the speed because it is short term issue, and call again if issue still exist after 48hrs, he even refused to talk about the router config like power level, only insist nothing they can do now and I have to wait 48hrs before contact them again. :mad::mad::mad:

Not happy with his response and called again, this time connected to UK team and he did some checks and booked engineer right away because he can issues with the connection. Lesson learn now, in future if calls go to overseas team just be patient and try again until you reach their UK team.

Soldato
Had my first proper encounter with the foreign call centre today, normally been able to get through to the UK retentions team straight away but they were adamant that I can't speak to them.

Was like talking to a brick wall, just kept repeating the same thing over and over again and when I asked to make a complaint I was told there was no point :eek:. I wasn't being aggressive or anything either just found it frustratingly funny.

Will try again later, to me its very straight forward as I was told the price increase wouldn't affect my new contract and yet it has gone up, I know the time and date so they can just check the recording and hear what I was told.

Lmao reminds me of the time that someone told me they was the manager, i asked to log a complaint got put on hold then disconnected after 30 minutes, never going back again, happy bt fttp customer

Sho

Sho

Soldato
My BT contract is up. Used to be a Virgin media customer before going with BT. Been with BT now for the last 3 years. And honestly its been excellent. Not had any issues. Best part not even a phone call to customer service.

I remember my virgin media days, where a lot of the time i used to have issues, router going on/off. Internet speeds slowing down to the point you can't use it. Having to phone up every so often to resolve something. That's why i left them.

Now i know its been few years, Has virgin media improved? Thinking about given them another try. Broadband only for £24 and £75 credit applied to account.

Man of Honour
Now i know its been few years, Has virgin media improved? Thinking about given them another try. Broadband only for £24 and £75 credit applied to account.
It's largely area dependent, but if I were you, is it worth the risk? If your service is fine and you're happy with it why change? I wouldn't go back to VM unless I had to or I had it as a second line.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
It's largely area dependent, but if I were you, is it worth the risk? If your service is fine and you're happy with it why change? I wouldn't go back to VM unless I had to or I had it as a second line.
Yes fully aware it's area dependent. I just have this feeling i'll regret going back to virgin Media. Better off with BT

Man of Honour
Yes fully aware it's area dependent. I just have this feeling i'll regret going back to virgin Media. Better off with BT
Then you have answered your own questions. Also consider other FTTC providers. I'm with PlusNet and I've been with them for 3 or 4 years now without issue. Line stability will be the same regardless of ISP, it's the level of customer service which varies and also sometimes the ISPs internal network.

I'm a 200mb BB only customer, I pay £45.50 per month. I noticed online this package is £33 per month or 350mb is £39. What gives?
You will find this can be had cheaper if you call up and threaten to cancel. Im paying £35.50 for 200mb BB and if you scroll through the thread you will find some people are paying a bit more or a bit less than this.
Welcome to haggle for your service

Soldato
Guys I'm 2 months into an 18 month contract with Vodaphone, just had the Virgin Media rep around as they've installed GBIT Virgin media and they're telling me they can buy out my contract with Vodaphone, and companies are only allowed to charge 40% of the total monthly amount left to leave and VM would pay this but I'm not really sure that's true?

Back
Top Bottom