US: The Expanse - ** Please use spoiler tags for reveals with TV show or books**

Soldato
Somewhat redeemed by Ep 9 and 10, more like The Expanse we know and love - grand space opera.

I think the problem with the earlier episodes was the quick cutting between the different sub-stories and viewpoints. I know that's how the books are written but it doesn't come off so well using that technique adapted for the screen.

Some poignant moments in Ep10
Ashford going out the airlock - I was expecting it having viewed the spoiler but swear I moved a tear. Perfectly crafted scene and no OTT gore with it either, just like going to sleep. Then Avasarala - the realisation that she had in some ways become what she hated and how powerless she looked when Bobby turned to her for help.

Hopefully being on Amazon will not preclude a Blu-ray release next year, at which point will probably back to back watch from the beginning again.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I enjoyed the previous season but this one dragged a bit tho until the end

It is not moaning or whining it is just my personnel option
Most people agree with you.
He hasn't even offered his own opinion on s10 so pay no attention.

I enjoyed it for being The Expanse but if this is to become a 1 planet per season show then i doubt i'll watch much more.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Eh, not sure what to rate this season.... it had its moments but it certainly seemed to lack decent pacing compared to the previous seasons.

I think they need to get things back to being reunited with all the main cast, so it doesnt seem so disjointed.

Bossman being floated was a huge let down for me, he was one of my favorite characters.

Soldato
Been reading the 4th book this week while up at the hospital each day. About half way through and it seems most of the TV 4th season was the invention of the screenplay writers. The events on New Terra/Ilus have a vague resemblance (so far) though
The Belter squatters are given a much less sympathetic account than in the TV series. Naomi is not on the planet. No sign of where they conjured up the Ashford/Drummer, Bobby and Asvarala sub stories from. The political machinations shown in the TV show have not materialised in fact Asvarala didn't even stand for office and encouraged the appointment of the women shown as a bitter rival.

All I can assume is the money men behind the show decided the events on Ilus alone could not sustain enough episodes and had to sex it up a bit.

Soldato
Finally got through this earlier this week. Did feel a struggle at times but did enjoy some of the moments too. Amos is still the best for me, those one word answers and then the crazy eyes haha

I do hope S5 will have a lot more going on.

Soldato
Just started watching this show about a month ago.

I've just finished Season 2 and love it so far!

Does the storyline in the TV series closely mirror the novels? I'm wondering if it would be worth trying the novels as well?

Man of Honour
Does the storyline in the TV series closely mirror the novels? I'm wondering if it would be worth trying the novels as well?

so that’s the weird thing, no it doesn’t, it very close but has it’s own story ark.

That being said yes, totally worth reading the books, so well written and fleshes out the charities while following a different path.

Soldato
I am just getting to the end of season 2. Enjoying it and pretty intriguing.. I have to say, it does remind me of 24 in space at times. It even had a decent amount of the cast from 24.

Soldato
LOL less than a week after I posted this I have now finished S4. Enjoyed it and looking forward to some more whenever it comes out. It was funny seeing Adam Savage in one of the scenes :D

Soldato
Just finished the first book, really enjoyed it even though I’d watched TV show. Plot is subtly different but shows how faithful TV show has been and reading it after the show makes me appreciate the shows changes as being good for the pacing and breadth.

Man of Honour
Just finished the first book, really enjoyed it even though I’d watched TV show. Plot is subtly different but shows how faithful TV show has been and reading it after the show makes me appreciate the shows changes as being good for the pacing and breadth.

the first book is arguably one of the worst (well least awesome), its a little bit all over the place but sets things up so well for the rest of them. Biggest relief is that the whole damn thing is planned out, although the next book (9) is the last so thats a huge disappointment
Ty: Daniel and I both believe that good stories end. You make promises at the beginning of the story that you can only pay off with a satisfying ending.

Soldato
@Siliconslave it might be I enjoyed it so much because I’d seen and liked the show so always had other elements from the show in mind. I quite liked some of the details in the book not in the show. Going to by the next 3 for the lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom