• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Vs. Nvidia Image Quality - Old man yells at cloud

Caporegime
Don't look as sharp........

Depends on your distance, my TV looks sharper than any monitor out there but that's because I view my screens from the recommended viewing distance, that and it's OLED.

Contrast ratio helps with clarity/sharpness not to mention not having any anti glare/matte finish boosts the sharpness/clarity tenfold.

Input lag wise, latest oled tvs iirc are rated at 13ms for 60HZ and 120HZ is 6ms, that is better or on par than a lot of monitors out there and unless you are a competitive pro player in the likes of CS, I seriously doubt many people will notice the difference in a few ms, even more so if using a controller for gaming.

I do find it odd how much we have to compromise on monitors these days.

Far smaller market than the TV market so less spent on R&D, less profit margin on them so they have to charge far more, "PC gamers/enthusiasts" are more than happy to throw their money at "gamer" marketed products so monitor manufacturers will happily milk tiny improvements each year and still charge a fortune for them etc. etc.

But yes, it really is embarrassing now.

Soldato
Even the latest ones are over 10ms, some over 20ms! Which is very noticeable when using a mouse.

Most a gaming monitors are 4ms or lower.

No they aren't. Here's the best gaming monitors on the planet:

lag.png

And where's this "needs to be under 10ms to feel good with a mouse" coming from? I use a TV that has 24ms daily and it feels fine. Is it as responsive as when I put it at 1080p 120hz (13ms)? No, but it's not noticeable in usage, nor do I feel like I'm gaining all that much when I use my 1080p 144hz monitor which does go <10ms. Because here's the thing, outside of CS:GO and Quake, it really doesn't matter and 99% of people would agree to that. People who are hyper-sensitive to input lag should ofc stick to their atrocious TN monitors and enjoy the colour grey.

Oh, and I forgot, re <10ms TV: LG B/C/E9 & Samsung Q90R & next year every other HDMI 2.1 TV that will come out, which is most of them.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b9-oled

Man of Honour
Eh if you do any kind of FPS gaming at all it quickly gets less than ideal much over 10ms or so unless you are really insensitive to it. My main IPS IIRC does ~17ms in quality mode and ~13ms with stuff disabled for gaming and is OK but less is better - I can hugely tell the difference when I swap over to my gaming monitors that are at least half that.

I've got various displays in the 20-60ms region and they really are not a joy to game on once you are used to anything better!

Soldato
Eh if you do any kind of FPS gaming at all it quickly gets less than ideal much over 10ms or so unless you are really insensitive to it. My main IPS IIRC does ~17ms in quality mode and ~13ms with stuff disabled for gaming and is OK but less is better - I can hugely tell the difference when I swap over to my gaming monitors that are at least half that.

I've got various displays in the 20-60ms region and they really are not a joy to game on once you are used to anything better!

Not to mention the refresh rate. A gaming monitor can do 120hz+. Most TVs only insert extra frames to mimic a high refresh rate, which makes the input delay even worse.

Soldato
Caporegime
What's got the bandwidth for 4K 120?
I've got a 2018 LG OLED and a 2019 Sony OLED and both are 4K 60?

No TV can do 4k at 120HZ (afaik) but you can do 1080/1440 @ 120hz. EDIT: Actually iirc, some TVs can but we need to wait for the GPUs to get the new HDMI first...

Personally I have a hard time telling the difference between 1440 and 4k especially with radeon image sharpening, only in the last year or so are "some" games starting to use "true" HD/4k textures, particles etc.

Another massive pro of TVs, playing at anything other than native res. doesn't look like complete trash unlike with monitors, you really have to use the native res. as anything else looks terrible.

Soldato
Not to mention the refresh rate. A gaming monitor can do 120hz+. Most TVs only insert extra frames to mimic a high refresh rate, which makes the input delay even worse.

As of 2019 most mid range or better TVs are native 120hz panels with very low latency with the OLEDS achieving 4ms input and 1ms pixel response. Linus even did some testing with CS GO and Doom at 120hz and said he couldn't tell the difference between his TV and any gaming monitor he has tested in terms of speed and responsiveness, in addition the TV achiev exceptional motion handling and creating a very clean clear image.

Soldato
As of 2019 most mid range or better TVs are native 120hz panels with very low latency with the OLEDS achieving 4ms input and 1ms pixel response. Linus even did some testing with CS GO and Doom at 120hz and said he couldn't tell the difference between his TV and any gaming monitor he has tested in terms of speed and responsiveness, in addition the TV achiev exceptional motion handling and creating a very clean clear image.

But you need to compare an OLED TV with and OLED monitor.

Not a TN/VA/IPS. It's different and much newer tech.

Soldato
So a 2019 LG c9 oled does 120hz 4k (whenever a gpu is capable of right hdmi) and does hdr. It also has an input on par with a gaming monitor.

What monitor are you saying is superior?

They still have a very slow response time of over 21ms (as measured in actual tests). Thats no good for PC gaming as you'll feel the laginess with a mouse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom