• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Vs. Nvidia Image Quality - Old man yells at cloud

Associate
Hey first time here and googled what I thought was weird and came to this post. I've been using a LG 34UC89G-B with a 1080ti for a bit. Recently got a 5700xt just for ***** and giggles and plugged that in. I noticed immediately that the images were sharper but saw the pixels more. For me it was refreshing as things seemed sharper and not smoothed out. Sorry about bringing this up or it might have been discussed in the 30+ pages here but thought I would give my 2 cents here.

Soldato
Hey first time here and googled what I thought was weird and came to this post. I've been using a LG 34UC89G-B with a 1080ti for a bit. Recently got a 5700xt just for ***** and giggles and plugged that in. I noticed immediately that the images were sharper but saw the pixels more. For me it was refreshing as things seemed sharper and not smoothed out. Sorry about bringing this up or it might have been discussed in the 30+ pages here but thought I would give my 2 cents here.

There are several posts appearing on Reddit about this, including from long term Nvidia users.
Most of us who have seen the difference, we do believe you. The naysayers are lost cause. :)

Associate
There are several posts appearing on Reddit about this, including from long term Nvidia users.
Most of us who have seen the difference, we do believe you. The naysayers are lost cause. :)

Ok good! Thought I was seeing things or thought my eyes got better because things seemed clearer in games. lol.

Associate
I thought that was just to add DLSS ;)

We should be able to hide this thread, It always makes me long for a decent performing card from AMD. Though that 5700XT doesn't look bad.

The 5700XT I have is very promising. The performance for me was on par with my 1080ti but then again that was NVIDIA's top of the line last gen so AMD still has some catching up to do. If they can expand on the 5700XT like they seem to be doing it would be awesome to see a 5800 or 5900XT and I'm sure those would be some amazing cards. If AMD is putting ray tracing in the PS5 GPU they should be adding that in the next series of AMD GPUs for the desktop.

Soldato
People see what they want to see.

there is no objective evidence to suggest that either card offers a tangible difference to the other.

All you can find is people looking for attention posting subjective ramblings

Permabanned
I thought that was just to add DLSS ;)

We should be able to hide this thread, It always makes me long for a decent performing card from AMD. Though that 5700XT doesn't look bad.

The 5700XT I have is very promising. The performance for me was on par with my 1080ti but then again that was NVIDIA's top of the line last gen so AMD still has some catching up to do. If they can expand on the 5700XT like they seem to be doing it would be awesome to see a 5800 or 5900XT and I'm sure those would be some amazing cards. If AMD is putting ray tracing in the PS5 GPU they should be adding that in the next series of AMD GPUs for the desktop.

These are the ones recommended by AMD itself :D

Recommendations.png

Permabanned
Ok so your original statement was

Nothing about what chips the cards use.....so admit your wrong and make everybodys Christmas that little bit happier.:D:p:D

These are AMD cards which they sell under a different brand, for whatever weird reason.
Matrox don't make their own graphics cards. Period..

Can you buy a Matrox card from OCUK? No, of course.

bru

bru

Soldato
These are AMD cards which they sell under a different brand, for whatever weird reason.
Matrox don't make their own graphics cards. Period..

Can you buy a Matrox card from OCUK? No, of course.

So by that reasoning Gigabyte, ASUS, EVGA, Saphire, Powercolor, MSI Asrock, KFA, INNO3D, Palit etc don't make graphics cards because they all use either NVidia or AMD chips. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Forget about games, but from a software developer I will tell you this.

Nvidia cards have better colour/contrast/gamma control for 2D work, so in my case while programming.

It was the case over 20 years ago with the Riva 128, and it's still the same today. Last card I tried was an AMD R9 290 and could not get on with the desktop colours. I'm talking very subtle here, and from the perspective of someone looking at text over 8 hours per day, that said sometimes I've worked until sun-light is coming up.

I run Nvidia Quadro cards and Ag Neovo glass fronted monitors, all on Ergotron Lift stands. I have have a BenQ Screen Bar, and BenQ e-reading lamps. The BenQ lights retail over £400, triple stand retail over £250, and my 3 Ag Neovo's retail maybe £300-£400 each. I mention all this as i'm that serious about reducing eye strain, so when I choose Nvidia over AMD it's researched and not just done in the moment.

http://uk.agneovo.com/uk/content/neov_optical_glass.asp

Many people will read this and disagree, but I go to great lengths on reducing eye strain, and it's always Nvidia Quadro I choose. However from everything I can tell Quadro and Geforce cards have the same colour quality.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I use f.lux for reducing eye strain (as well as having a high refresh rate screen). Is there anything better out there that I should consider using, software speaking?

Man of Honour
To be fair Quadro is a bit of a different story though - both hardware and driver level there are some differences to the way they do 2D due to the use for high end CAD, etc.

If you really take 2D (or workstation type 3D) that importantly then neither the AMD or nVidia consumer GPUs are optimal.

Soldato
Rroff, i've been using Quadro that long i'm unsure how different if any the 2D colour output is compared to Geforce. I do a Geforce card on my HTPC but without putting card with same monitors it's hard to tell any exact difference. Your correct the drivers are main difference, being they not focused on games releases, plus with Quadro I have Nview software that's quite useful.

arc@css, never knew about flux, however Windows 10 does something very similar as standard, and do have this enabled for night time work.

Things to reduce eye strain I know.

1) The BenQ screen bar, I only found this 4 months ago, it's brilliant for night working.
https://www.benq.eu/en-uk/lamps/computer-desklamp/screenbar-plus.html

2) Make your fonts a little bigger
3) Set your gamma control / contract / monitor colour control etc, takes ages to get correct, but it's worth the investment in time.
4) Run 3 monitors and run a quality monitor stand, I'm running an Ergotron LX triple, however all my screens are at eye level. The stand is old but still one of the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbGs0xp-4VY

5) Finally I use Ag Neovo glass fronted monitors, i'm the only person on this forum that runs them, but then i'm a bit oddball! but I swear the glass on them reduces eye strain. One thing my Ag Neovo's are not the latest ones, and they use technology prior to the LED technology, and I suspect the older technology although not as efficient on power, was kinder on eyes compared to the modern blue back lit LED's we have now.

So arc@css there my tips for reducing eye strain.

Man of Honour
and I suspect the older technology although not as efficient on power, was kinder on eyes compared to the modern blue back lit LED's we have now.

I used to way prefer CCFL backlights for a long time to modern LEDs - for awhile it was like staring into first generation ultra-bright LEDs with a slightly icy blue hue to it that was horrid but the latest monitors on most the backlight hue is fairly neutral.

Soldato
I used to way prefer CCFL backlights for a long time to modern LEDs - for awhile it was like staring into first generation ultra-bright LEDs with a slightly icy blue hue to it that was horrid but the latest monitors on most the backlight hue is fairly neutral.

It's nice that you have picked up and understood what I meant. I'm in agreement I suspect the very latest monitors have addressed the blue hue issue, but like you when I first looked at LED back light screens I did not like them, and much preferred my older screens.

Back
Top Bottom