• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Vs. Nvidia Image Quality - Old man yells at cloud

Soldato
It's because of the 643 ppi or Retina panel. No monitor has a "retina" screen, except maybe if you find a 15" 4K notebook screen but even then, it isn't guaranteed, in no way.

Every modern smartphone with PPI over 400 will produce better image quality than the available monitors, the larger they are, the worse.

Even my old Sony Xperia S (2012) with 342 ppi beats every single monitor available on the market.

Good god just stop. Image quality of a product of detail, contrast, brightness and colour accuracy. Your old Xperia might have had a higher PPI but it was a 1280x720 panel. It wouldn't beat a decent monitor on ANY front. It's like you intentionally misunderstand EVERYTHING you post about.

Soldato
I think it's the other way round lol

Resolution is less important than screen size. 1280x720 on a tiny phone screen is a much sharper image than any 4k TV.

Permabanned
I can't believe you just said that.

1280x720 = ~900k pixels
3840x2160 = ~8.2m pixels.

And you think that has no bearing on how much detail is displayed? Why aren't we all running 720p monitors then? :o

The image quality on the Sony Xperia S is as if you are looking through a window outside - perfect, clear, crystal clean image. It is 1280 x 720 but the screen size is 3 inches diagonal only.

No monitor can display images with this level of realism.

Soldato
the Xperia S had a 4.3 inch display, giving it a a density of 342PPI. I dont know where your 3" measurement comes from. But, regardless, that doesnt matter. It used a tft from 2012 - pixel density is about the only thing it has going for it against a modern display.

Permabanned
the Xperia S had a 4.3 inch display, giving it a a density of 342PPI. I dont know where your 3" measurement comes from. But, regardless, that doesnt matter. It used a tft from 2012 - pixel density is about the only thing it has going for it against a modern display.

Pixel density (PPI) together with the diagon size, and the quality of the individual pixel (its clarity) are the most important specs of a screen. Forget the resolution.
When your screen grows in size, you need to compensate somehow the quality of the panel which goes inversely-proportional with respect to the increase in size.

I don't remember very well, but I think I have seen in a store a 32-inch Sony 1080p TV that looked with exceptionally good quality of its individual pixels, and despite being that size, its image quality was rather good.

Normally, PC monitors are not that good, but Sony and Panasonic don't make PC monitors...

Soldato
Again ill say it's a mobile tft from 2012, it wont compare.

Pixel density (PPI) together with the diagon size, and the quality of the individual pixel (its clarity) are the most important specs of a screen

PPI is one of the least important aspects of a display. Resolution is vitally important when it comes to rendering detail. Detail is a key component of display 'quality'. I'm not going to keep saying this again and again.

Permabanned
PPI is one of the least important aspects of a display.

"laugh"

Five Factors Affecting the Clarity and Quality of Smartphone Screens

1. Pixel Density
Pixel density is probably the most important thing when it comes to the quality of your smartphone screen. The higher the number, the better the screen. As a buyer’s guide from Ximix.com explains, a phone with less than 200 ppi (pixels per inch) has low resolution and doesn’t offer a very good picture while a phone with a ppi between 200 and 300 is average. A phone with a pixel density above 300 ppi has high resolution. Many phones have climbed higher than that with 342 ppi.

https://techieinspire.com/factors-affecting-clarity-quality-smartphone-screens/

:D

Soldato
Yeah..it's nonsense from a time when phones had a very low display density. doesn't happen these day, even budget phones have 720p panels. funnily enough that article was written in 2012...when the phone was released. Are you seeing the correlation there? You really do like bring up ancient articles in an effort to support your arguments, don't you?

Also, this is soo typically you:

from the article:
3. Display Technologies

As Raymond Soniera explains in this CNET article, without the proper technology, your smartphone’s awesome specs don’t matter. LCD and OLED are the two competing technologies for smartphone displays, but both have high-end and low-end versions. Low-end versions include the TFT-LCD or the AMOLED, while premium versions include IPS-LCD or the Super AMOLED Plus. Low-end versions of both have a variety of problems including a narrow viewing angle, not enough brightness, and over saturated colors. The premium versions of both eliminate many of these problems. Choosing between the two is mostly a matter of preference, but be sure to choose phones with the premium versions if you can.

What panel did the Xperia S use? oh yeah, a TFT-LCD...Whoops.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah..it's nonsense from a time when phones had a very low display density. doesn't happen these day, even budget phones have 720p panels. funnily enough that article was written in 2012...when the phone was released. Are you seeing the correlation there? You really do like bring up ancient articles in an effort to support your arguments, don't you?

Also, this is soo typically you:

from the article:

What panel did the Xperia S use? oh yeah, a TFT-LCD...Whoops.
He has killed any shred of credibility he had the past couple of months. No one that knows him on here will take what he says seriously anyway. He is very closed minded. Never seen him hold his hands up and say he got it wrong. He thinks he is right ever time and everyone else is just stupid. Lol.

Soldato
I can't believe you just said that.

1280x720 = ~900k pixels
3840x2160 = ~8.2m pixels.

And you think that has no bearing on how much detail is displayed? Why aren't we all running 720p monitors then? :o

But what size screens are you talking about. Like I sad the image on a 30" 1080 screen is the same as a 4k 60" one. The spacing between the pixels is the same.

Literally the whole point in higher resolutions is to increase the pixel density.

Last edited:
Soldato
He has killed any shred of credibility he had the past couple of months. No one that knows him on here will take what he says seriously anyway. He is very closed minded. Never seen him hold his hands up and say he got it wrong. He thinks he is right ever time and everyone else is just stupid. Lol.

They had credibility? I honestly thought they were a bot for the longest time. Now I am unsure if they are a troll or just stubborn and ignorant.

Soldato
But what size screens are you talking about. Like I sad the image on a 30" 1080 screen is the same as a 4k 60" one.
It's only being rendered at 1/4 of the detail of the 4k panel.
The spacing between the pixels is the same.
This is correct.
Literally the whole point in higher resolutions is to increase the pixel density.
The whole point of a higher resolution is to render more detail.

@Disco_P and @james.miller : You are trolling, I have added you to the ignore list..

That's fine. The more people you block, the less you'll argue when people point out the glaring holes in everything you post on these forums. Have fun burying your head in the sand.

Soldato
You don't seem to be understanding it.

No, nasher, you dont. If you render the same image, one at 4k and one at 1080p, then the renders are NOT the same. One has 25% of the pixels of the other. That is fact. You seem to be looking at this from a position where both displays would be used at a distance where the pixels would appear the same size to the viewer, but that's a convenience that ignore sever key factors, the biggest being we as viewers rarely ever do that.

Look up my posts on PPD (Not to be confused with PPI) and come back and tell me i still don't understand this.

Soldato
The scaling is the same between a 1080 monitor and a 4k one twice the size.

Pixel density is the most important thing for how sharp an image looks. Which is why when people went from 27" 1080 to 27" 4k monitors it looked much sharper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom