OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
Thanks RoboCod and @Devrij, but don't get me wrong we're still full of excitement and happiness and i have a positive mind about it, it's likely nothing will be wrong and even if there is, apparently there's an easy fix, just it'll be better if there's nothing to fix. I felt my baby kick for the first time today, my wife has been feeling it for weeks but today was the first time it was strong enough for me to feel it! That was brilliant to experience!

Oh and something that just happened minutes ago. We have our sister in law come over for Christmas and she has a 5 month-old. Sister-in-law asks us to look after the baby for 5 minutes. LONGEST 5 MINUTES EVER!! Immediately starts to cry while she was good as gold all day, we try to claim her down and then realized she needed a change, the wife doesn't know how to change a baby yet! I go :eek:, both of us then try to change the baby while she's bringing down the house with her wailing, I wish I had ear defenders, wife trying to give me instruction and I can barely hear her over the wailing, it's as loud as a tube train in a tunnel, we get the diaper off, clean her, then wife put the diaper on again, then realises she put the old one on by mistake and not a new one. She almost collapse in embarrassment as the mother breezes in and fixes the situation in 30s flat.

Now the wife is in the kitchen feeling like a failure and i'm laughing my arse off and the whole thing. I've claimed her down now and assured her she's not a failure and she's not going to be a terrible mother and we'll do much better when our little one is born. I'm not sure she's wholly convinced :D
The funny thing is, I'll bet that your sister in law was rubbish at changing nappies before her child was born. Think about it, if you've never done it before, how can you expect to be good at it. Just wait till they fill they're nappy properly, the noises will make you chuckle. I'd say there's not a day goes by that the kids don't make me laugh. And since here, I got the kids a nerf gun each (and 1 for me of course). The kids love them, but can **** it as its too hard. This does mean I win every fight:p. Let my Mrs have a go as she'd not plated before, she loves them too, hmm wonder if I should get her one:D Boys vs girls:p.

Soldato
OP
Thanks RoboCod and @Devrij, but don't get me wrong we're still full of excitement and happiness and i have a positive mind about it, it's likely nothing will be wrong and even if there is, apparently there's an easy fix, just it'll be better if there's nothing to fix. I felt my baby kick for the first time today, my wife has been feeling it for weeks but today was the first time it was strong enough for me to feel it! That was brilliant to experience!

Oh and something that just happened minutes ago. We have our sister in law come over for Christmas and she has a 5 month-old. Sister-in-law asks us to look after the baby for 5 minutes. LONGEST 5 MINUTES EVER!! Immediately starts to cry while she was good as gold all day, we try to claim her down and then realized she needed a change, the wife doesn't know how to change a baby yet! I go :eek:, both of us then try to change the baby while she's bringing down the house with her wailing, I wish I had ear defenders, wife trying to give me instruction and I can barely hear her over the wailing, it's as loud as a tube train in a tunnel, we get the diaper off, clean her, then wife put the diaper on again, then realises she put the old one on by mistake and not a new one. She almost collapse in embarrassment as the mother breezes in and fixes the situation in 30s flat.

Now the wife is in the kitchen feeling like a failure and i'm laughing my arse off and the whole thing. I've claimed her down now and assured her she's not a failure and she's not going to be a terrible mother and we'll do much better when our little one is born. I'm not sure she's wholly convinced :D

My usual "protip" applies here: open a nappy bag before taking off the dirty nappy. In fact, open the fresh nappy up first as well so you can slide it under easier, and have the wipes open. Preparation helps. Because the first time you encounter a spill, well that's when you want to be ready.

Being serious, nappy changing you'll have down pat in a single day, 2 tops, after feeling like a complete tool the first time. After 2 weeks you'll be an old hand at the vast majority of that early days stuff.

I'm currently at a point where the problems are all about reasoning with an unreasonable being because I need her compliance or it ain't happening. No stuffing little feet into PJs anymore. If she doesn't want those PJs on, they ain't going on unless I'm prepared to wrestle a demon.

Soldato

:D :D :D

My first EVER nappy change of my entire life was in the hospital with my wee lad.
This served as the first nappy change of his life also. We were in that **** together. Literally.

Girlfriend lying in the bed judging. Midwife standing arms folded watching on. Itching for me to fail miserably. Tutting and eye rolling on standby.
My own mother. Standing straight faced glaring at me.
The mother in law (not actuals married but life's too short to not call her that). Straighter faced than my own mother judging wildly. Something I thought impossible until this moment.

Damn right I got that nappy done. But talk about being on the spot and pressured. I deserved to be held aloft like a bloomin boxer after the 12th round when he knows he pasted the other bugger on points. All I got was shoulder shrugs and shimmied out the way so cuddling could re-commence. Back in my box.

So you've had a practice run you lucky sod. Appreciate! 99.9% of the time it's about learning as you go and screwing up a little less than the last time when it comes to these little things. I can do it one handed in about 2.3 nanoseconds now and then even have the mini me take his own poo to the bin for me. Soon, that shall be you!

Sketchy scans! My wee dude had 4 kidneys at the 20 week scan! Scared the living hell out of us..... ended up with top consultant scans and constant re-scans for re-assurance. Still never took that worry away but everything worked out perfectly in the end and he had the "normal" amount of kidneys the entire time FFS...... Don't let the tiny little shimmer of a possibility ruin this special time for you and your partner. Enjoy!! :)

Soldato
:D :D :D

My first EVER nappy change of my entire life was in the hospital with my wee lad.
This served as the first nappy change of his life also. We were in that **** together. Literally.

Girlfriend lying in the bed judging. Midwife standing arms folded watching on. Itching for me to fail miserably. Tutting and eye rolling on standby.
My own mother. Standing straight faced glaring at me.
The mother in law (not actuals married but life's too short to not call her that). Straighter faced than my own mother judging wildly. Something I thought impossible until this moment.

Damn right I got that nappy done. But talk about being on the spot and pressured. I deserved to be held aloft like a bloomin boxer after the 12th round when he knows he pasted the other bugger on points. All I got was shoulder shrugs and shimmied out the way so cuddling could re-commence. Back in my box.

So you've had a practice run you lucky sod. Appreciate! 99.9% of the time it's about learning as you go and screwing up a little less than the last time when it comes to these little things. I can do it one handed in about 2.3 nanoseconds now and then even have the mini me take his own poo to the bin for me. Soon, that shall be you!

Congrats dude. I'd had practice before my own, still daunting when it's you're own and they're that tiny.

xdcx post: 33249641 said:
Sketchy scans! My wee dude had 4 kidneys at the 20 week scan! Scared the living hell out of us..... ended up with top consultant scans and constant re-scans for re-assurance. Still never took that worry away but everything worked out perfectly in the end and he had the "normal" amount of kidneys the entire time FFS...... Don't let the tiny little shimmer of a possibility ruin this special time for you and your partner. Enjoy!! :)

Yeah we had concern which ended in docs deciding on a early (10 days) birth by C-sec with our first. Up to that point they had projected her to be 10lb 6oz at term but due to other health complications they decided to do a late scan and thought she wasn't progressing properly in terms of growth. She was born weighing 6lb 4oz, perfectly healthy. Subsequent investigation revealed that the sonographer (or whatever they're called) had made a calculation error & it was carried on through following scans until the last one.

Soldato
So not been a good day.

George is in hospital. Not been eating for a couple of days, and getting agitated.
Wife took him a few hours ago and he has Bronchiolitis and RSV virus. Low blood sugar so he's on a drip, he's panting so they're thinking of putting him on oxygen tonight as well.

Won't be allowed home until he starts feeding again, though I think we should be able to swing just coming home with an NG tube im still okay doing those.

It's annoying because he had injections last year to avoid that RSV virus this year he gets it.

Soldato
OP
So not been a good day.

George is in hospital. Not been eating for a couple of days, and getting agitated.
Wife took him a few hours ago and he has Bronchiolitis and RSV virus. Low blood sugar so he's on a drip, he's panting so they're thinking of putting him on oxygen tonight as well.

Won't be allowed home until he starts feeding again, though I think we should be able to swing just coming home with an NG tube im still okay doing those.

It's annoying because he had injections last year to avoid that RSV virus this year he gets it.

That sucks dude, hope all is well and he makes a speedy recovery

Caporegime
So not been a good day.

You only get the RSV jabs for the first winter, once they're over 1 they tolerate bronch a lot better (but not perfectly as you've found).

Bronch season has been really bad this year.

Soldato
You only get the RSV jabs for the first winter, once they're over 1 they tolerate bronch a lot better (but not perfectly as you've found).

Bronch season has been really bad this year.
Yeah just a shame he couldnt get it again. He's still tiny.
His sats were down at 92%, he just doesn't have the lungs to be able to cough strong enough.
They're hopeful he could go home tomorrow as long as he starts eating even just milk.

Caporegime
Yeah just a shame he couldnt get it again. He's still tiny.
His sats were down at 92%, he just doesn't have the lungs to be able to cough strong enough.
They're hopeful he could go home tomorrow as long as he starts eating even just milk.

Its silly expensive, about £3K a child for a full course, with really limited benefit as theres plenty of other viruses that cause bronch. We are very limited on who we can give it too, even if we think it's a good idea it gets blocked.

Had a few kids get RSV on Palivizumab too this year.

Soldato
Its silly expensive, about £3K a child for a full course, with really limited benefit as theres plenty of other viruses that cause bronch. We are very limited on who we can give it too, even if we think it's a good idea it gets blocked.

Had a few kids get RSV on Palivizumab too this year.
He had Synogis or something like that, doctor said about £800 a go and 5 goes

Soldato
We're looking at taking the kids for a weekend away on the bank holiday in May. I was originally looking at Disney but it's 2 grand for 2 nights and I refuse to have my pants pulled down. I've seen chessington world of adventure for under 600. Has anyone been there with young kids, mine are 6 and 3 and from looking at their website they seem to be the perfect age for it.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
What did/do you guys do with your old bottles and feeding gear?

Ours has stopped the bottles now and before I just bin the lot I was wondering if there were somewhere that I could take it so it can be used? Missus said about bottle banks but the local one said they don't need anymore.

Don
We're looking at taking the kids for a weekend away on the bank holiday in May. I was originally looking at Disney but it's 2 grand for 2 nights and I refuse to have my pants pulled down. I've seen chessington world of adventure for under 600. Has anyone been there with young kids, mine are 6 and 3 and from looking at their website they seem to be the perfect age for it.

Chessington is great for the kids at that age (so is Legoland) but bank holidays are absolutely the worst time to be visiting theme parks unless you are prepared to buy their Q-bot / fastpass thing, especially with a 3-year old. You'll spend the majority of your days trying to keep your bored kids entertained in the queues. I would plan it for when your eldest has a teacher-training day in school instead.

I live centrally to Legoland, Chessington and Thorpe Park so I visit them regularly (they are all about 30mins drive from me) but never in bank holidays unless you want to lose your sanity!

For the bank holiday, I'd be looking at holiday parks instead. Pontins, Butlins, Parkdean etc.

Man of Honour
Bloody kids :D

We try and keep the "firsts" of things for memory boxes, as I'm sure most people do on here. We were waiting for my 5 year old sons first tooth to fall out as he got his teeth early so figured they'd probably start coming out early.

Walked in the kitchen today while he's eating his lunch and looked at him thinking something isn't right. Asked him to smile and saw a tooth missing, asked if he realised or felt anything...nothing. So he's eaten it with the rest of his lunch. Great :D I'm certainly not retrieving it later either. Second will have to do in this case :p

Soldato
Bloody kids :D

We try and keep the "firsts" of things for memory boxes, as I'm sure most people do on here. We were waiting for my 5 year old sons first tooth to fall out as he got his teeth early so figured they'd probably start coming out early.

Walked in the kitchen today while he's eating his lunch and looked at him thinking something isn't right. Asked him to smile and saw a tooth missing, asked if he realised or felt anything...nothing. So he's eaten it with the rest of his lunch. Great :D I'm certainly not retrieving it later either. Second will have to do in this case :p
My daughter only lost her first tooth a couple of months ago (turns 5 this week so more or less same age). She almost missed it, and there was hardly any blood. Said she didn't even feel it come lose it wobbling. I do think it's a bit gross to keep everything, my mum still has mine and my brothers and we're both early 30's:eek:.

Also, new nerf gun arrived today, motorised semi auto. To say the kids love it is an understatement. My 3 year old can load it, switch it on and fire it quite easily (although he likes to fire at fast as possible so ends up running out). I can reccomend nerf guns at being great fun, even indoors (we don't really have any breakables). Even the Mrs had some fun (bad had a lame excuse for how her gun wasn't working right).

Soldato
Our boy is almost 20 months now so outgrown his first pram, looking for a lighter weight but still sturdy and well made pushchair/stroller to move on to. Does anyone have any recommendations? Looking to spend no more than 150 quid.

Soldato
Our boy is almost 20 months now so outgrown his first pram, looking for a lighter weight but still sturdy and well made pushchair/stroller to move on to. Does anyone have any recommendations? Looking to spend no more than 150 quid.
We use the joie stroller. Really light, sturdy and pack's down to a decent size.

Back
Top Bottom