Getting Irish nationality for children?

Caporegime
I've seen so many people talk about applying for different passports and rubbing it in telling us they will be able to move to any of the EU countries once Brexit is done but us British passport holders are screwed. We all know they'll still be here in a decade. :p

Associate
my next question is should you be allowed Duel citizenship. It kind off pisse me off that the likes of michaella (drugs mule)mccollum is more that happy to call her self irish, and travel under a irish passport until the **** hit the fan, then she became british so she could get the benefits of the much better British consulate services , yes have multi nationality that can't be helped in this international world. but you should only be allowed to be a citizen of only one country

Associate
Oh please, I went to Turkey about 5 years ago and they required a Visa, the process was done on landing in a few minutes and cost about a fiver. Even an ESTA takes about 15 minutes to do online.

Agreed. People will still whine about it though. "Bloody Europeans making us do stuff"

Soldato
I bet your children are called Beatrix and Fredrick and they get educational toys for Christmas

My son is called Frederik and yes, he got some educational toys at Christmas.

He's also getting dual Nationality with Finland, as I have just been accepted for mine as well.

What's your problem?

Soldato
My son is called Frederik and yes, he got some educational toys at Christmas.

He's also getting dual Nationality with Finland, as I have just been accepted for mine as well.

What's your problem?

Do you like F1 and photography and have aspirations for your son to go to University and become an Engineer?

Soldato
Do you like F1 and photography and have aspirations for your son to go to University and become an Engineer?

No, but I would like him to to to University as he wants to become an architect. . Would you not your children? Certainly want him to use his brain rather than hard graft which is what I do.

Soldato
The OP's post reminds of me of the ridiculous comments I read on Facebook in the aftermath of the referendum.

One acquaintance who's wife was expecting their first child post "I seriously worry about bringing up my child in this country now". Quite frankly the most ignorant thing to post considering parents in South America at the time were worried about their children being born with Zika virus related deformities, or how about being a parent in a worn torn country like Syria?

Even post Brexit, you should consider yourself lucky to be raising a child in a democratic developed country with State funded healthcare.

Associate
my next question is should you be allowed Duel citizenship. It kind off pisse me off that the likes of michaella (drugs mule)mccollum is more that happy to call her self irish, and travel under a irish passport until the **** hit the fan, then she became british so she could get the benefits of the much better British consulate services , yes have multi nationality that can't be helped in this international world. but you should only be allowed to be a citizen of only one country
just like that woman form Northern Ireland who wanted to bring her unemployed American husband as a permanent resident the home office said no she said im Irish so the home office told her to renounce her British citizenship but she wouldn't.

Soldato
OP
No.

Citizenship through descent ends at grandchildren. It does not pass on to great-grandchildren.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...ish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

Your kids can only become Irish through naturalisation if you yourself are naturalised, in which case you and the kids need to live in Ireland for 5 years. First you apply for citizenship and then afterwards apply for the kids to be naturalised.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/..._an_irish_citizen_through_naturalisation.html

SOURCE:

I got Irish citizenship through my mother last February, so have been through the process.

Your wife will have to apply first to the Irish Foreign Births Registry to get proof of her grandfathers citizenship ~10 months and then apply for the passport ~2months. She'll need his birth certificate.
Thanks.

So it's the case that my wife's new Irish nationality won't itself confer similar opportunities to her children and grandchildren that her grandfather's nationality does? Because she's not living in Ireland?

Makes sense.

Soldato
I've seen so many people talk about applying for different passports and rubbing it in telling us they will be able to move to any of the EU countries once Brexit is done but us British passport holders are screwed. We all know they'll still be here in a decade. :p

Not me! I packed my bags and buggered off last year :)

Soldato
Thanks.

So it's the case that my wife's new Irish nationality won't itself confer similar opportunities to her children and grandchildren that her grandfather's nationality does? Because she's not living in Ireland?

Makes sense.
If she'd done it before the children were born it wouldn't have been a problem, but then who knew the country was going to go mental...

Soldato
Interesting - my gran on my dad's side was Irish but pretty sure there isn't existing documentation to prove it.
Yes it can be a real issue, some Irish records weren't as well kept as others. A lot of Irish at the time seemed to have one name,but go by another for some reason!

Soldato
Personally, like the OP, I'm more concerned for the options of my kids: there's every reason to believe one or both of them might like to work in Europe at some stage. Or study there - recent news has the Tories confirming that we will be withdrawing from the Erasmus system along with Brexit.

It's quite aggravating having friends and colleagues fortunate enough to have Irish roots who are cheerfully able to get around the stupidity of Brexit, when those of us with entirely British family trees are left without option.

Soldato
Hmmm maybe i should become Hungarian/Austrian. It would save me a few quid!

Although my Grandad was from Transylvania so think that's now part of Romania and my Grandma was Yugoslavian that no longer exists

Feel like it's more effort than it's worth!

Caporegime

That is up to the individual countries, in some cases they specifically won't allow you to have more than one citizenship if you want to retain your citizenship of that particular country. For example India under their rules you can be a citizen or India or you can be a citizen of other countries but not both ergo they have some "overseas citizenship scheme" - some of my British Indian friends have this - they're British but get the right to live/work in India if they want, travel freely etc...

Of course one country can't dictate what another countries rules are on this at the moment so even if one country forbids dual nationality if you don't tell them about another nationality then meh... Some Indian billionaire could in theory still buy an EU citizenship from Cyprus or citizenship of some random Caribbean country etc... and maintain their Indian citizenship as long as India doesn't find out (which, if the names get leaked, is a risk).

Associate
Thanks.

Makes sense.

the way i read it is that only the children born after your wife become irish would be able to claim irish citizenship

https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abroad/

Caporegime
Hmmm maybe i should become Hungarian/Austrian. It would save me a few quid!

Although my Grandad was from Transylvania so think that's now part of Romania and my Grandma was Yugoslavian that no longer exists

Feel like it's more effort than it's worth!

It's probably well worth a shot - super sensitive subject for the Hungarians and they're generally prone to recognising the Hungarian's in what used to be their territory AFAIK. I've met a few girls from that part of "Romania" when attending Sziget festival over the years and they've been adamant that they're Hungarians in what should be part of Hungary... they have Hungarian passports etc... so you might be in luck.

Then again if that fails then try for a Romanian one... just don't come round my house in your gypsy wagon trying to sell pegs or lucky heather once you get it. :D

Back
Top Bottom