US kills Iran's General Soleimani

Soldato
Iran state media.

“According to international regulations, representatives from the civil aviation agency of the country where the crash has taken place, the civil aviation agency of the country which has issued the airworthiness certificate (Ukraine), the owner of the airliner (Ukraine International Airlines), the aircraft manufacturer (Boeing Co.), and the jet engine manufacturer (CFM International) can participate in the investigation process," Iran's Government spokesman Ali Rabiei said Friday.

"A delegate from Ukraine is already in Iran. We call upon Boeing Co. to dispatch its own representative to participate in the process of reading the black box data,” he said.

Abedzadeh said the Islamic Republic can download the black box data under normal circumstances, but since the box has been damaged, it will be difficult to directly extract information from the system.

“We need special software and hardware which are available in our country, but if we fail to extract the data due to the damages of the black box, we will get help from other countries,” he noted.

At the same press conference, Hassan Rezaeifar, the head of the Aviation Organization’s commission for plane crash probes, said Ukraine, France, Canada, and Russia have all expressed their readiness to assist Iran with the data extraction.

Tehran, he said, will send the black box to one of these countries if it fails to retrieve the data.

Iran has already urged all parties involved, including Boeing, to contribute to the probe into the crash.

Caporegime
They don’t really need the black box in order to own up and confirm they shot the thing down. But sure, they’ll carry on with whatever distraction they can.

Soldato
They don’t really need the black box in order to own up and confirm they shot the thing down. But sure, they’ll carry on with whatever distraction they can.
Not sure about this one tbh - its a definite wait and see.
There is a lot of interesting details about the plane now coming out particularly around the issue of it not being approved to fly that night but did anyway.

Caporegime
Not sure about this one tbh - its a definite wait and see.
There is a lot of interesting details about the plane now coming out particularly around the issue of it not being approved to fly that night but did anyway.

I don’t doubt there are other aspects to investigate etc... and yes there might well have been more than just error from the Iranians but just that with regards to the Iranians they could just be honest about what they’ve clearly done.

Man of Honour
Reported today -
Meanwhile, the "black box" flight recorders recovered from the wreckage will be opened on Friday, Iran's official Irna news agency reported.

Report tomorrow - 'The black boxes were found to be too damaged to retrieve any data'

Soldato
Report tomorrow - 'The black boxes were found to be too damaged to retrieve any data'

*EDIT* See below

From the Makers of the FA2200/2300 series FDR (flight data recorder a.k.a The Black Box) fitted to the 737-800 series aircraft -

L3 Commercial Aviation said:
The FA2200/2300 series MADRAS FDR's can withstand a crush force of 5,000 pounds per axis, provide impact protection of 3400 G's, remain undamaged in 20,000ft depth of water and can survive temperatures of 1,100C for 60mins whilst still allowing the solid state memory chips to be read.

They are specifically designed to survive the worst kind of air-crashes (one's much worse that the Iran crash which isn't that "bad" in terms of potential FDR destruction - low angle, low height, low speed etc) and yet still retain all the critical information req'd by investigators - I don't think anyone will be fooled if Iran says "nope, too badly damaged, sorry!" TBH

With new information available (picture on Iranian TV) it looks like the FDR is a Honeywell Connected Recorder -25 (HCR-25). While the point above is still valid as the Honeywell unit is tested to the same limits as the FA2200 series, I just wanted to edit this post with the correct info.

Last edited:
Soldato
The question I have, suppose the information on the FDR is intact (as it probably is) and retrievable. Is it possible to actually modify or delete the information on the FDR, lets suppose the Iranians wanted to delete parts of potentially incriminating information, before letting anyone else near it. (perhaps parts of the cockpit voice recorder, if the pilots were heard shouting anything about an impact or explosion) ?

Or could they modify any of the technical data stored on it, for example create a fake fault with the data from one of the engines, to make it look like one was likely to develop a fault right after takeoff?

Just trying to think of ways in which it might be 'hackable' to support their intentions.

Soldato
Did anyone see the Iranian ambassador to the UK being interviewed on sky news today?

He was muttering and stumbling and blurting out all manner of crap in a desperate attempt to plead innocence.

I feel quite sorry for ambassadors sometimes.

They must, for the most part, be reasonable decent and affable people (Otherwise they could not do their job)

And then the government that they represent goes full retard and they are left having to spout all sorts of toe curling crap that they have been instructed to say to people who might well actually be personal friends.

:(

Soldato

They m1ust, for the most part, be reasonable decent and affable people (Otherwise they could not do their job)

And then the government that they represent goes full retard and they are left having to spout all sorts of toe curling crap that they have been instructed to say to people who might well actually be personal friends.

Yeah, it must suck to know or hear of the facts, then have to go to the governments of your friends and enemies, and lie to their faces. Then face the media and just spew endless lies and nonsense, when surely - the loss of life from this stupid behaviour, must be gnawing at their senses.

Associate

They must, for the most part, be reasonable decent and affable people (Otherwise they could not do their job)

Yeah that was my first thought. Basically you have to tow the most ridiculous company line on national TV. Not a job I'd ever want to do by choice.

Soldato
Good luck to us all if they develop nukes.
The Americans/Trump already have them.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...lear-weapons-disrupt-storm-bomb-a9078796.html
Donald Trump suggested firing nuclear weapons into hurricanes to prevent them hitting the US, reports in Washington claim.

The president is said to have raised the idea of bombing hurricanes with senior Homeland Security and national security officials on numerous occasions, dating back as far as 2017.

“I got it. I got it. Why don’t we nuke them?” one source told US news website Axios the president had asked during a hurricane briefing at the White House.

The source said the briefer was “knocked back on his heels” as Mr Trump went on to suggest dropping a nuclear bomb in the eye of an off-shore hurricane would disrupt its formation.

“People were astonished,” the source added. “After the meeting ended, we thought, ‘What the ****? What do we do with this?’”

Soldato

Being an ambassador for a country like Iran would be a **** job. Probably don't even get paid all that well either.

Caporegime
From the Makers of the FA2200/2300 series FDR (flight data recorder a.k.a The Black Box) fitted to the 737-800 series aircraft -

They are specifically designed to survive the worst kind of air-crashes (one's much worse that the Iran crash which isn't that "bad" in terms of potential FDR destruction - low angle, low height, low speed etc) and yet still retain all the critical information req'd by investigators - I don't think anyone will be fooled if Iran says "nope, too badly damaged, sorry!" TBH

The data was fully recoverable despite the FDR "looking" like it's been destroyed - it hasn't, thats just the outer-casing.

et302-fdr.jpg

Nothing an smelting oven can't solve.

Back
Top Bottom