PC Gaming and the problem with parity.

Soldato
People saying you can use keyboard and mouse on console...any experience of this? Does it feel the same as PC in terms of input lag and speed? What about sitting on the sofa to see your big TV....what do you use as a table for keyboard/mouse? Or do you simply hook your console up to your desk and play at same location as a PC?

Associate
OP
I've got my PC hooked up to my TV in the living-room and use this combo, it's perfect (and wireless) as i can just put it behind or under the couch when not needed.:

u_10175732.jpg

Caporegime
I'll be buying a PS5 (And hope it has BC, although there's still a load of quality PS3 games I haven't played, so it needs more than just PS4 BC for me)
I'd buy an Xbox, but it depends on the game situation, there's maybe 2 games that exist on the Xbox that don't exist on my PC. Xbox One was the biggest waste of money I've ever done.

Associate
I'll be buying a PS5 (And hope it has BC, although there's still a load of quality PS3 games I haven't played, so it needs more than just PS4 BC for me)
I'd buy an Xbox, but it depends on the game situation, there's maybe 2 games that exist on the Xbox that don't exist on my PC. Xbox One was the biggest waste of money I've ever done.
The full backwards compatability rumours that are going about I have filed under "believe it when I see it". I expect they will manage PS4 compatability, as I think it's similar enough architecture wise, but I just don't see them pouring a whole lot of resources into doing it for older games that many players will probably think:yeah i remember playing game x and it was great, then play it for 10 minutes, for nostalgia, and never look at again.

I guess it all depends on whether they think people will be willing to pay money for the old games through the PS store (I doubt it unless they are really cheap). If they do though I guess they might figure it is worth the expense.

Soldato
If the projected estimates are true, the next-gen consoles won't be beaten on price! You would be hard-pressed to build an equivalent PC in the same price bracket. We're not going to see significant reductions in hardware pricing either.

I simply can't justify a rebuild, or splurging hundreds of pounds on just a GPU upgrade. Moreover, with developers favouring the console demographic, it seems like the logical choice! I'm tired of the divide caused by different storefronts, I'm fed up with shoddy console ports. I want a system that will last me the duration of the generation, with no necessity to upgrade to play the latest and greatest games!
That always happens for a year or two max when new consoles come out. They quickly lose value and become obsolete though as pc hardware leaps ahead even at budget levels.

Caporegime
The full backwards compatability rumours that are going about I have filed under "believe it when I see it". I expect they will manage PS4 compatability, as I think it's similar enough architecture wise, but I just don't see them pouring a whole lot of resources into doing it for older games that many players will probably think:yeah i remember playing game x and it was great, then play it for 10 minutes, for nostalgia, and never look at again.

I guess it all depends on whether they think people will be willing to pay money for the old games through the PS store (I doubt it unless they are really cheap). If they do though I guess they might figure it is worth the expense.

I'd be surprised if it's any more than PS4 BC, but I still do play older games.
I mean I've just completed Timeshift on PC 2 days ago.

Associate
I'd be surprised if it's any more than PS4 BC, but I still do play older games.
I mean I've just completed Timeshift on PC 2 days ago.
Don't get me wrong, there are some old games that are still very much worth playing, KOTOR for example, but by and large most do not hold up to how we remember them, assuming it's games we played when younger at least. I suspect the majority of old games are played purely for nostalgia, and that's not what it used to be...

Associate
Yes, they are, definitely. But as i stated in a previous thread it's all rumours/hype/marketing at this point.

I wouldn't be so sure! Most industry analysts agree that the specs are entirely plausible, especially if you consider that Microsoft and Sony can sell each console at a loss and instead profit massively from software sales.

I don't expect the PS5 to outperform high-end gaming PCs, however I do expect it to compete on price! You will be hard-pressed to build a PC for £499 with the same graphical capabilities, an exceptionally fast SSD, and a 4K UHD Blu-ray drive!

Also, it's worth remembering that:
Most developers cater to the lowest common denominator, namely consoles. PC exclusives that push the envelope are virtually unheard of now.

Last edited:
Soldato

I feel the same way. Based on my experieince of the PS4 (with cracking exclusives and VR support) I'd rush out to buy a PS5 day one but having owned an XBox One since launch I don't think I'd buy another Microsoft console. The machine itself was utterly lacklustre and the exclusives lacking.

Soldato
Will quote this one also. Might come in handy for laughs later :p:D

He changes his mind every couple of months. I think he is only trolling at this stage.

When the next round of GPUs are released he will be back again saying that they are too expensive and consoles are the only way forward.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
He changes his mind every couple of months. I think he is only trolling at this stage.

When the next round of GPUs are released he will be back again saying that they are too expensive and consoles are the only way forward.
Indeed. That is why I quoted it as I can see it easily happening :p

Associate
OP
I wouldn't be so sure! Most industry analysts agree that the specs are entirely plausible, especially if you consider that Microsoft and Sony can sell each console at a loss and instead profit massively from software sales.

I don't expect the PS5 to outperform high-end gaming PCs, however I do expect it to compete on price! You will be hard-pressed to build a PC for £499 with the same graphical capabilities, an exceptionally fast SSD, and a 4K UHD Blu-ray drive!

Also, it's worth remembering that:

Found an old Reddit post on the subject. It's an interesting read:

Why I left PC gaming (for good)

Whatever rocks your boat mate. You don't need to convince me of anything. If consoles work for you, fair do's....

Associate
Perhaps CDPR will release an enhanced edition of The Witcher 3 with all the previously promised (in actual gameplay trailers / demos) next gen content in it when these new consoles arrive, or perhaps they'll only make one for Cyberpunk when people are disappointed with the fact it has been developed for current-gen consoles and new ones are just around the corner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom