PC Gaming and the problem with parity.

Associate
OP
Thought it would be a good time to revive the thread since we know more about next gen consoles and the pricing of GPUs still haven't changed much. Cards are still overpriced and value for money still isn't there if you want to game at over 1080P.

With next gen consoles, the line between the platforms will be even more blurred than they were previously.

Personally, if prices don't improve within the GPU space, i might just get a next gen console for graphically demanding games and keep the PC for indies and other genres.

AMD/Nvidia only have themselves to blame if GPU sales start to drop like a lead balloon next year.

Soldato
Thought it would be a good time to revive the thread since we know more about next gen consoles and the pricing of GPUs still haven't changed much. Cards are still overpriced and value for money still isn't there if you want to game at over 1080P.

With next gen consoles, the line between the platforms will be even more blurred than they were previously.

Personally, if prices don't improve within the GPU space, i might just get a next gen console for graphically demanding games and keep the PC for indies and other genres.

AMD/Nvidia only have themselves to blame if GPU sales start to drop like a lead balloon next year.
I'm not falling for the hype of new consoles again. Within a year I'm back to pc gaming as new amazing hardware comes out and console gaming is just so limited. New consoles have always been followed by a landmark graphics card release and I expect no different this time.

Nvidia can cut prices by 40% and still make money if they feel threatened. I'm defintely interested to see how things pan out.

Associate
Give me 60+fps at 1440p resolution or higher and propper M+K support and I'll happily ease off on upgrading my PC. Until then, I'll always buy the new Playstation for exclusives and keep on top of my PC upgrades. Because there's no way in hell I'll play shooters, racers and many other games with a controller.

Soldato
Give me 60+fps at 1440p resolution or higher and propper M+K support and I'll happily ease off on upgrading my PC. Until then, I'll always buy the new Playstation for exclusives and keep on top of my PC upgrades. Because there's no way in hell I'll play shooters, racers and many other games with a controller.
Okay I get shooters but there is nothing wrong with a pad for a racing game.

Racing wheel or a pad for a racer any day sod keyboard for a racing game

Associate
Okay I get shooters but there is nothing wrong with a pad for a racing game.

Racing wheel or a pad for a racer any day sod keyboard for a racing game
I race in iRacing, Assetto Corsa etc and have a wheel setup. For me, that's the only way to play these games. Sure, for silly arcade racers, pad is fine, but I don't really play those.

But honestly, give me a proper mouse and keyboard support on consoles and most games come alive.

Associate
I on the other hand felt a bit underwelmed..

Finally i got to build a new desktop but i felt quite underwelmed graphically compared to a console and the amount of cost.

Yes the ps4 pro cannot do 4k, or 60fps on most of the games but some games look really good and i wouldn't be able to tell that they were on a ps4 pro or a gaming pc.

Fire away my brand spanking new pc, which cost an arm, and 2 gpus for my leg and lo and behold i can run witcher 3 4k ultra with 60 fps (2x Vega 56 bought when vegas just came out OUCH!). Lets not forget to turn on the nuclear plant to power those things. Pc cost alooooot more than the ps4 pro cost though.

Of course now that i can use properly my gpus i will be playing more on the pc and any multi plat game i can play i will play on the pc instead of the ps4 but it did cost so much and was a hassle. Ie i will need to get rid of the vega's to get a better gpu in the not so distant future, the ps4 even when i will change to the ps5 will cost me roughly the price of a 2070 super and i will have a console that will work for 7 years. My vegas wont have 7 years usage. I will need to get rid of one anyway because of crappy xfire support.

In order to get proper fps on pc and 4k you need a 2080ti which is ridiculous, honestly i felt a really huge buyers remorse when i finished my built just a week ago. But I needed a new pc desperately so fair point. Just sad times as everything on the desktop end suddenly got really expensive, not sure if i will build a new pc in the future or just get the console of the time.

I was really good with KB and mouse, now i am crap. I tried witcher with KB and mouse and couldn't play it, or couldn't enjoy it. FPS i can play either way it doesn't bother me.

Associate
This won't be a popular opinion, but it's one of the reasons I'll be migrating from PC to a PS5. If the latter can provide 4K 60fps, backwards compatibility, and an UHD player for less than £499, it's hardly worth upgrading given the absurdity of hardware pricing. Most developers cater to the lowest common denominator, namely consoles. PC exclusives that push the envelope are virtually unheard of now.

I posted the above comment on the PC Master Race subreddit, and fully expected to get downvoted into oblivion, however many were in agreement!

There's no denying the freedom that PC gaming affords you, whether it's the wealth of customization, the modding community, or superior controls. With that said, there's also the law of diminishing returns to consider!

Associate
Another reason for me is that there was a time when upgrading a pc would come with significant speed upgrades in other non gaming apps also, even just browsing the web, video editing etc, upgrading from a Pentium 4 to a core 2 duo was huge for me, now you don't even need a powerful pc by todays standards to have a fast pc for pretty much anything but gaming. My i7-4790 still has more than enough grunt to do anything i need. I would literally only be upgrading for gaming performance only. Unless there is a huge drop pc component prices, I can't see me upgrading from my 4790/RX580 combo any time soon, i am almost ceartain i will be getting one of the new consoles instead this time around. Its a shame as i love building and customizing pc's, But the value for money is becoming worse and worse and going by the specs of the next gen consoles it could be the final nail in the coffin for me.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Another reason for me is that there was a time when upgrading a pc would come with significant speed upgrades in other non gaming apps also, even just browsing the web, video editing etc, upgrading from a Pentium 4 to a core 2 duo was huge for me, now you don't even need a powerful pc by todays standards to have a fast pc for pretty much anything but gaming. My i7-4790 still has more than enough grunt to do anything i need. I would literally only be upgrading for gaming performance only. Unless there is a huge drop pc component prices, I can't see me upgrading from my 4790/RX580 combo any time soon, i am almost ceartain i will be getting one of the new consoles instead this time around. Its a shame as i love building and customizing pc's, But the value for money is becoming worse and worse and going by the specs of the next gen consoles it could be the final nail in the coffin for me.

Yeah. Upgrading CPU's before one would see a huge speed boost in windows, browsing etc. The 4770K which I had running at 4.7GHz was plenty fast at this. Upgrading to Ryzen 3600 even at 4.4GHz which is a lot faster than my 4.7GHz 4770K saw little speed up in Windows. It is a bit like upgrading from my Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD to my Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVMe. The difference is small and you barely feel it. Only time we will see the benefits is either Windows or games are optimised to make use of the extra speed provided.

If I did not enjoy gaming more on a PC vs a console then I would not even bother upgrading my graphics card anymore as the value is $uper poor for high end cards relative to the past. We don't see the big jumps in performance we used to and we have to pay a lot more for the small performance increases we end up getting.

I think an OLED TV together with a PS5 will be a great combo for gaming. My PS4 Pro looks very good as it is, so I think with much beefier graphics and an NVMe drive so games load quickly the PS5 will be a beast of a system. This will lead me to not upgrading so often on PC I recon.

Associate
OP
I'm not falling for the hype of new consoles again. Within a year I'm back to pc gaming as new amazing hardware comes out and console gaming is just so limited.

You have a point and it happens every generation. I bought the PS4 and played a few so-called great exclusives, disliked the console so much and realised what i take for granted on PC. I got my money back and sold the games.

I won't be getting a next gen console. I'm just going to upgrade my system instead when the time is right.

Played with the idea due to the buzz surrounding them at present, but the reality is you just can't get the PC experience on these systems. I missed the options/openness/customisation/cheaper games/free online gaming, etc. It's more than just graphics/performance.

Also prefer to concentrate on one platform too as you play more.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I haven't upgraded my PC in 8 years and I still wouldn't be caught dead with a console.

In my opinion, in this day and age you're not really a PC gamer if all you care about is graphics.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You have a point and it happens every generation. I bought the PS4 and played a few so-called great exclusives, disliked the console so much and realised what i take for granted on PC. I got my money back and sold the games.

I won't be getting a next gen console. I'm just going to upgrade my system instead when the time is right.

Played with the idea due to the buzz surrounding them at present, but the reality is you just can't get the PC experience on these systems. I missed the options/openness/customisation/cheaper games/free online gaming, etc. It's more than just graphics/performance.

Also prefer to concentrate on one platform too as you play more.
Will quote this one also. Might come in handy for laughs later :p:D

Associate
OP
Aye, games like Neverwinter Nights is £47.99 on PSN, LMAO plus you need to pay a sub to play online.

Same game can be had for £15 on PC and DRM free.

Enjoy yer next gen consoles..:p:D

image-png.212641

Last edited:
Associate
If the projected estimates are true, the next-gen consoles won't be beaten on price! You would be hard-pressed to build an equivalent PC in the same price bracket. We're not going to see significant reductions in hardware pricing either.

I simply can't justify a rebuild, or splurging hundreds of pounds on just a GPU upgrade. Moreover, with developers favouring the console demographic, it seems like the logical choice! I'm tired of the divide caused by different storefronts, I'm fed up with shoddy console ports. I want a system that will last me the duration of the generation, with no necessity to upgrade to play the latest and greatest games!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If the projected estimates are true, the next-gen consoles won't be beaten on price! You would be hard-pressed to build an equivalent PC in the same price bracket. We're not going to see significant reductions in hardware pricing either.

I simply can't justify a rebuild, or splurging hundreds of pounds on just a GPU upgrade. Moreover, with developers favouring the console demographic, it seems like the logical choice! I'm tired of the divide caused by different storefronts, I'm fed up with shoddy console ports. I want a system that will last me the duration of the generation, with no necessity to upgrade to play the latest and greatest games!

Some fair points raised there.

But i don't like the lack of a open digital market, it's closed nature, it's reliance still on retail, no free online gaming, pay-walled features, ***** network speeds, lack of original IP, a non existent strategy genre, almost no mod support, it's focus on AAA and sequels, lack of I/O options, adverts embedded within the interface, only 1 of the 3 support digital refunds, etc.

I don't see much of the above changing for the next systems. I'm not falling for the hype again either, it happens every generation when a new console is getting released.

PC gaming is more than just graphics/performance. From my own experience it was hard going back to a console. PC gamers don't realise how good we have it and take a lot for granted. I'll pay a bit more for the hardware.

If it's one thing people are ****** about the PC, it's GPU prices. GPU prices will stabilize eventually, plus a third player in Intel in the GPU space means more competition at some point.

But aye, no system is perfect. Just that the PC suits me better for my needs, i suppose.

Associate
Some fair points raised there.

But i don't like the lack of a open digital market, it's closed nature, it's reliance still on retail, no free online gaming, pay-walled features, ***** network speeds, lack of original IP, a non existent strategy genre, almost no mod support, it's focus on AAA and sequels, lack of I/O options, adverts embedded within the interface, only 1 of the 3 support digital refunds, etc.

I don't see much of the above changing for the next systems. I'm not falling for the hype again either, it happens every generation when a new console is getting released.

PC gaming is more than just graphics/performance. From my own experience it was hard going back to a console. PC gamers don't realise how good we have it and take a lot for granted. I'll pay a bit more for the hardware.

If it's one thing people are ****** about the PC, it's GPU prices. GPU prices will stabilize eventually, plus a third player in Intel in the GPU space means more competition at some point.

But aye, no system is perfect. Just that the PC suits me better for my needs, i suppose.

The rumoured specs of the PS5 are very impressive, especially if you consider that it's likely to have backwards compatibility:
  • Zen 2 CPU
  • 9-12 TFLOP Navi GPU
  • SSD Storage
  • Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
  • PSVR 2 Support

If it's a toss-up between a £499 GPU upgrade or a £499 next-gen console, I know which one I'd choose!

Associate
OP
The rumoured specs of the PS5 are very impressive, especially if you consider that it's likely to have full backwards compatibility: Zen 2 CPU, 9-12 TFLOP Navi GPU, SSD Storage, Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
If it's a toss-up between a £499 GPU upgrade or a £499 next-gen console, I know which one I'd choose!

Yes, they are, definitely. But as i stated in a previous thread it's all rumours/hype/marketing at this point.

Just to quote myself, save me from typing.

12 TF? What are these rumours based on? If it's just by Phil Spencer saying it's double the GPU performance of the X1, then those rumors hold zero truth as that could mean absolutely anything when you consider all the variables.

Frankly, it's all just marketing talk/nonsense. Phil Spencer knew what he was doing here. It creates discussion of their product and even when it's released people will still believe it's the most powerful box, even if it isn't. It's marketing 101.

I wouldn't believe anything until the consoles are out in the market, tested, dissected and games are fully analysed.

The X1 was apparently the same GPU performance as 1070, but when you contrasted the X1/PC versions of games it was a **** show for the console.

It's all hype and nothing more at this point.

If you prefer a console, fair enough.

I do get the feeling though that once the systems have been released a lot of people will have been red-pilled when reality hits.

The hype is hitting ridiculous levels and we're only in January.

Back
Top Bottom