PC Gaming and the problem with parity.

Associate
There was a time in PC gaming when you paid top dollar and you got what you paid for i.e. better graphics, frame rates, etc. There was almost a night and day difference between PC and console versions of games.

Now, not so much, everything is parity, the only aspect PC gaming has in it's favour is high frame rates.

You're spending all this money on high performance hardware and the publishers/devs aren't taking advantage of it. They are targeting the least powerful systems, so that everything runs optimally across the board, it's just souped up console ports at this point.

Sadly, PC gamers spend all this money on hardware just to get versions of games that don't look that much better than the console versions. With many being broken even at release.

With the prices of components forever increasing and getting more expensive, justifying the purchase of high-end components leaves a lot to be desired now.

The old prices on graphics cards are simply gone and won't be returning, simply because it is no longer possible.

At this point, one may as well just get a console for graphically demanding games and keep the PC for anything else.

If the trend continues, is there even any point purchasing high-end parts now for gaming, as the return is very little.

Caporegime
+1

Been saying it for ages.

I have had no interest in upgrading my PC for a long time now and things are only going to get worse. Thinking of selling my PC and getting a laptop + HTPC and will eventually pick up a PS 4 pro for the exclusives (they look better than 90% of what gets released cross platform....) when there is a good deal.

Besides, I hardly play any games these days anyway.

Caporegime
Sadly, PC gamers spend all this money on hardware

And nothing on software except in Steam sales. :p *jk*

PC versions never out sell console versions these days unless it's got a head start like PUBG. I wouldn't bother optimising a game on PC for little return. And as you can see with PUBG, it doesn't even matter. That runs janky and still sells a boatload.

Associate
OP
Given a choice, i still prefer to game on PC as it still has advantages over console. But, the poor return on high-end and the extortionate prices aren't helping just now.

I wouldn't bother optimising a game on PC for little return.

You're on a Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz, 4GB DDR2, nVidia GeForce GT 640 2GB mate. I wouldn't bother optimising for that set up either. :p:D

Last edited:
Soldato
+1 I'm feeling the exact same way right now.

I'm about ready to give up on pc gaming and join the console peasants unless this next generation of video cards brings some massive improvements to the table :) It's at a point where I can buy an Xbox one x or a ps4 pro and a 4K TV for the price of a new video card!

Honestly, there's no way I can justify spending £600+ on a graphics card. I haven't seen anything on PC which justifies the extra outlay compared to the consoles now we're in the era of 4k everywhere.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

I'm about ready to give up on pc gaming and join the console peasants unless this next generation of video cards brings some massive improvements to the table :) It's at a point where I can buy an Xbox one x or a ps4 pro and a 4K TV for the price of a new video card!

Honestly, there's no way I can justify spending £600+ on a graphics card. I haven't seen anything on PC which justifies the extra outlay compared to the consoles now we're in the era of 4k everywhere.

Next gen consoles will be HDMI 2.1 out the box and have features like Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). Every console game could finally have consistant high frames rates (if implemented and you have a HDMI 2.1 compatible TV). There goes another advantage PC once had, gone.

By the time 2020/21 comes Nvidia or AMD will need to have GPU's on the market priced at £300/400 which can run all next gen games at 4K60+ without issue. If that happens i'll stick with PC gaming as i love the platform.

Also, there are many aspects of consoles i don't like i.e lack of a open digital market, it's closed nature, it's reliance on retail (i hate physical media and value space), no free online gaming, pay-walled features, ***** network speeds, lack of original IP, a non existent strategy genre, almost no mod support, it's focus on AAA and sequels, lack of I/O options, adverts embedded within the interface, only 1 of the 3 support digital refunds, etc.

So, i won't be jumping ship anytime soon. I'll weigh up my options in a couple of years and see where each market is headed.

I haven't seen anything on PC which justifies the extra outlay compared to the consoles now we're in the era of 4k everywhere.

Yep, a mate of mine has a PS4 Pro/4K TV (with HDR) and had Zero Dawn running on it. It looked amazing. It's definitely the best looking game this gen, on any system.

Oi, it plays Microsoft Jigsaw beautifully! :D

:D:D

Last edited:
Caporegime
And nothing on software except in Steam sales. :p *jk*

PC versions never out sell console versions these days unless it's got a head start like PUBG. I wouldn't bother optimising a game on PC for little return. And as you can see with PUBG, it doesn't even matter. That runs janky and still sells a boatload.

Pretty much, as per usual, no one to blame but consumers, why bother optimising games for the platform when people will happily throw money at their hardware just to be able to get 10 more fps every year in poorly optimised games. If I/people can run the likes of the division, batman AK, battlefront 1/2, gta 5 etc. on more or less max settings @ 60 fps @ 1080P then the likes of ark, dishonored 2 (base game) pubg sure as hell should be able to run just as well too.....

What I find even more amusing are the people who buy the top end hardware and advertise it in their sigs but hardly ever play games, let alone demanding ones :D

The fact that the PC versions graphics are barely any better than the console over the last 1-2 years shows this, especially when the publishers/developers out source the PC port/version to smaller studies i.e. as WB/Rocksteady did with batman AK...... If the money was there for the PC, I don't think a publisher and development team as big as them would trust a small time studio (with no PC port experience) with such a huge title as batman.

You also have to laugh when a console game is number 1 for technical advancement (horizon zero dawn) on a PC favoured youtube channel (digital foundry) :D Saying that, even digital foundry have become predominately console based now (various reasons for this though)

Exactly what I did, got a nice TV (largely due to monitors being **** for panel/IQ as well as ridiculous prices too) so I am pretty much set, a ps 4 pro paired with that TV will look better than most setups i.e. a £1500+ high end PC paired with a crappy monitor (£500-1500) and still be far cheaper :cool:

Next gen consoles will be HDMI 2.1 out the box and have features like Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). Every console game could finally have consistant high frames rates (if implemented and you have a HDMI 2.1 compatible TV). There goes another advantage PC once had, gone.

HDMI 2.1 isn't even needed for VRR, one of Samsung's 2018 Tvs has support for VRR and it doesn't have HDMI 2.1.

But yup, one of the main advantages of PC won't be around for much longer.

Doesn't the xbox one x already have freesync 2 support too?

Also, don't forget consoles run HDR flawlessly too, HDR is messed up on PCs still, at least for some games.

For me, the main blow will be when consoles can/will let you get/choose a 60 FPS option. Unfortunately it seems developers are prioritising 4k over 60 FPS :(

Only other thing I would like to see is 21.9 option/support!

Soldato
Thinking of the ludicrous amount of money I've spent on Graphic cards I would happily use a console if I could use a keyboard & mouse (which I believe is now possible?) I could buy both of the latest Xbox & PS4 for less than a GTX1080Ti

Caporegime
Thinking of the ludicrous amount of money I've spent on Graphic cards I would happily use a console if I could use a keyboard & mouse (which I believe is now possible?) I could buy both of the latest Xbox & PS4 for less than a GTX1080Ti

You have been able to use M+K with consoles for quite a long time now, although for a good adaptor kit, it can cost up to £150 iirc and it also requires a bit of faff setting it up.

Can't say I am that bothered about K+M any more, only time I use it is for online shooters.

Soldato
You have been able to use M+K with consoles for quite a long time now, although for a good adaptor kit, it can cost up to £150 iirc and it also requires a bit of faff setting it up.

Can't say I am that bothered about K+M any more, only time I use it is for online shooters.

I watch my Sons 2 boys playing on my PC but with a controller & it's too jerky for my taste, I like the smoothness of turning & aiming with a mouse, I just read that official Kb & Mouse support is coming to the Xbox One

Soldato
Console games @ 4K look poor & run slow compared to same game on PC @ 4K 60FP or higher. Its night & day difference graphically. Only thing console games are getting right now is HDR usually from day 1 which takes time to hit PC as standards are still not set & so few HDR monitors (apart from HDTVs).

Console prices are also going to skyrocket if GPU demand continues for Cryptocurrencies they will not be able to make for current pricing much longer as the fabs up their prices and someone has to swallow the extra cost of supply & demand. The fabs will make the PC GPU first as way more profit in that than consoles GPUs.

Caporegime
Look at digital foundry comparisons.

The likes of the PS 4 pro and especially xbox one x hardly look "poor".... As per usual, the differences have to be pointed out to us with zooming in a **** ton, slowing down the footage and even pausing it....

i.e. assassins creed origins, on my 4k screen, there is very little difference between the new consoles and PC, the main graphical difference is draw distance.

And then go and look at what you need for 4k high/max graphics on PC, especially if you want a min. of 60 fps..... Not exactly good value for money in my eyes.

I watch my Sons 2 boys playing on my PC but with a controller & it's too jerky for my taste, I like the smoothness of turning & aiming with a mouse, I just read that official Kb & Mouse support is coming to the Xbox One

A controller provides "smoother" transitioning. That is why a lot of cinematic youtubers, such as neebsgaming use controllers, you can instantly tell which shots are using a M+K and which ones they are using a controller for.

Controllers are also very good to mask input lag and the lack of responsiveness of low/inconsistent FPS i.e. a 30FPS game will feel far better with a controller than a M+K.

But yes for accuracy and aiming, nothing will ever beat mouse.

Personally I prefer the feel of controllers in every game now especially in the likes of assassins creed origins, as above, just feels more natural/fluid and cinematic.

Soldato
It doesn't matter how much I have spent on my PC when consoles are completely unplayable to me. Given the choice between playing a game on a dirt slow console with a controller at 30fps and not playing I choose not playing.

I don't care about graphics or release performance, give me 60fps in a couple year old game with my friends on KB and mouse and I am happy.

Soldato
Same old argument/discussion. The reality is consoles are always on catch up but until they support keyboard and mouse they will always be inferior. Yes, I know there is some support on them and using a third party device you can plug both in but it's not the norm and is quite limited.

Graphically, sure they have some parity and yes a controller can do the job just fine but let's not forget they are coded to help with aim and movement.

The PC will always be a more versatile and viable option if you want a package that can do everything at the best level for gaming and work.

The main problem that I see which happened to the gamers who prefer PC is the lack of modding support, this was an area that bred some of the best and most innovative advances and kept the community healthy and on top.

There are some games/genre's on PC that the console will never, in it's current setup, match ie the like of WoW and most RTS titles that require more precision tons of dexterous finger agility.

Both have their respective place in the market, both have strengths and weaknesses and the reality is both are still viable.

Soldato
As soon as consoles allow me to:

• Play the game using my choice of peripheral, e.g. M&KB, stick, wheel, controller
  • Play my entire back catalogue of games
  • Set up my own dedicated servers configured how I want so I can play with my mates as and when we want
Then I will jump ship to consoles.

Until then, for me at least they are simply not a viable alternative.

I don't get the argument about cost, I'm still using a 7 year old CPU (i7-2600), and a GTX 980ti which cost me £320 2 years ago, and I can still play every current game with no issues at 1080p or even 3440x1440. Gone are the days where you HAD to upgrade every year or 2 to actually be able to play the latest games.

If you're spending £4-500+ every year on the latest & greatest CPU/motherboard (and more on GPU) then I guess it does become difficult to justify when there is minimal benefit, and I don't really see the point except for benchmarking scores

Last edited:
Soldato
Look at digital foundry comparisons.

The likes of the PS 4 pro and especially xbox one x hardly look "poor".... As per usual, the differences have to be pointed out to us with zooming in a **** ton, slowing down the footage and even pausing it....

i.e. assassins creed origins, on my 4k screen, there is very little difference between the new consoles and PC, the main graphical difference is draw distance.

And then go and look at what you need for 4k high/max graphics on PC, especially if you want a min. of 60 fps..... Not exactly good value for money in my eyes.

Reading you post got me curious so I watched your youtube link up until the point when I saw that console games still run at 30fps. Yup consoles still suck. 30fps is unplayable, I would rather not play games at all.

Caporegime
Reading you post got me curious so I watched your youtube link up until the point when I saw that console games still run at 30fps. Yup consoles still suck. 30fps is unplayable, I would rather not play games at all.

And then go and look at what you would need to achieve a constant 60FPS in that game @ 4k with good settings, not to mention if you want HDR too ;) Maybe yourself and others can justify the cost just to get a constant 60+FPS, personally I can't, if graphics were much better on the PC version like the old days, then I would have no problem spending the premium for PC gaming.

But yes, I don't disagree, 30 fps on consoles is still pretty crap, it's a lot better than 30 fps on PC though (due to console using its own sync as well as using a controller).

Soldato
And then go and look at what you would need to achieve a constant 60FPS in that game @ 4k with good settings, not to mention if you want HDR too ;) Maybe yourself and others can justify the cost just to get a constant 60+FPS, personally I can't, if graphics were much better on the PC version like the old days, then I would have no problem spending the premium for PC gaming.

But yes, I don't disagree, 30 fps on consoles is still pretty crap, it's a lot better than 30 fps on PC though (due to console using its own sync as well as using a controller).
But none of the consoles run the game at 4k. Its more like 1440p at 30 fps and lower settings. You can easily achieve that with a £150 used gpu, turn on dynamic resolution on your pc version too so you can also get these occasional resolution bumps. 30 fps is 30 fps there is no way to make it feel better and console optimization is pretty much a myth that has been disproven so many times.

What about a hdr? Just run an hdmi cable from your pc to your hdr capable tv/monitor and enjoy it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom