PC Gaming and the problem with parity.

Associate
There was a time in PC gaming when you paid top dollar and you got what you paid for i.e. better graphics, frame rates, etc. There was almost a night and day difference between PC and console versions of games.

Now, not so much, everything is parity, the only aspect PC gaming has in it's favour is high frame rates.

You're spending all this money on high performance hardware and the publishers/devs aren't taking advantage of it. They are targeting the least powerful systems, so that everything runs optimally across the board, it's just souped up console ports at this point.

Sadly, PC gamers spend all this money on hardware just to get versions of games that don't look that much better than the console versions. With many being broken even at release.

With the prices of components forever increasing and getting more expensive, justifying the purchase of high-end components leaves a lot to be desired now.

The old prices on graphics cards are simply gone and won't be returning, simply because it is no longer possible.

At this point, one may as well just get a console for graphically demanding games and keep the PC for anything else.

If the trend continues, is there even any point purchasing high-end parts now for gaming, as the return is very little.

Associate
OP
Given a choice, i still prefer to game on PC as it still has advantages over console. But, the poor return on high-end and the extortionate prices aren't helping just now.

I wouldn't bother optimising a game on PC for little return.

You're on a Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz, 4GB DDR2, nVidia GeForce GT 640 2GB mate. I wouldn't bother optimising for that set up either. :p:D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
+1 I'm feeling the exact same way right now.

I'm about ready to give up on pc gaming and join the console peasants unless this next generation of video cards brings some massive improvements to the table :) It's at a point where I can buy an Xbox one x or a ps4 pro and a 4K TV for the price of a new video card!

Honestly, there's no way I can justify spending £600+ on a graphics card. I haven't seen anything on PC which justifies the extra outlay compared to the consoles now we're in the era of 4k everywhere.

Next gen consoles will be HDMI 2.1 out the box and have features like Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). Every console game could finally have consistant high frames rates (if implemented and you have a HDMI 2.1 compatible TV). There goes another advantage PC once had, gone.

By the time 2020/21 comes Nvidia or AMD will need to have GPU's on the market priced at £300/400 which can run all next gen games at 4K60+ without issue. If that happens i'll stick with PC gaming as i love the platform.

Also, there are many aspects of consoles i don't like i.e lack of a open digital market, it's closed nature, it's reliance on retail (i hate physical media and value space), no free online gaming, pay-walled features, ***** network speeds, lack of original IP, a non existent strategy genre, almost no mod support, it's focus on AAA and sequels, lack of I/O options, adverts embedded within the interface, only 1 of the 3 support digital refunds, etc.

So, i won't be jumping ship anytime soon. I'll weigh up my options in a couple of years and see where each market is headed.

I haven't seen anything on PC which justifies the extra outlay compared to the consoles now we're in the era of 4k everywhere.

Yep, a mate of mine has a PS4 Pro/4K TV (with HDR) and had Zero Dawn running on it. It looked amazing. It's definitely the best looking game this gen, on any system.

Oi, it plays Microsoft Jigsaw beautifully! :D

:D:D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Is it me or there is a smear campaign currently going on against pc gaming? There is a reason why we're all here and why pc gaming has skyrocketed in popularity the past few years. Console gaming sucks and nothing has changed.

I think there is a lot of negativity going on within the PC market just now, due to the high prices of GPUs/RAM. No one likes being ripped off. I can't see it getting better until 2020, but i hope i'm wrong.

Associate
OP
The other aspect of PC Gaming that concerns me is Nvidia's dominance. They've basically got a monopoly on the PC market and AMD aren't competing. Nvidia could charge whatever they want with their GPUs, it's already happening just now. When the playing field was level between ATI/Nvidia, you had 100% performance increases between new GPUs. Now, it's 25%, if you're lucky and that's your top end cards. It's completely unacceptable.

Look at the 1080ti on release, it was already a silly price before the mining situation (cheapest price for that card just now on OCUK is a laughable £829.99). For that price you could buy all 3 consoles with games.

Some gamers may not like consoles, but that market has competition with three firms keeping each other on their toes. The PC market needs more competition, badly.

Anyway, the $27 billion a year PC video games market isn't going away, but it can improve.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
1440p/144hz 21:9 vs 720p/30hz, I'll choose PC the only issue I've got is cheaters.

Aye, PC has the frame rate advantage just now.

Next gen consoles will be HDMI 2.1 out the box and have features like Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Freesync 2. Every console game could finally have consistent high frames rates (if implemented and you have a compatible TV). There goes another advantage PC once had, gone.

There is just no point buying high-end parts now for gaming, especially with the price hikes, as the return is very little.

Associate
OP
Sure the next console is going to do UHD, 60 fps at all times with no drops. It's going to do all this for the £400 that all launch consoles cost? Keyboard and mouse with no fees for online gaming, with better graphical settings and higher framerates, with a view to do video editing and many other tasks, I'm surprised many of you are on a PC hardware site, surely you'd be better off on something that is more inclined toward consoles?

Consoles have their place but will never be better than a PC hardware wise, this keeps getting bought up every year for the last 30 years and it's always had the same result.

I never said or stated consoles were better hardware wise (I don't own any consoles by the way). I'm merely pointing out the fact that console parity is making high-end hardware redundant for a lot of us due to devs/publishers not taking advantage of the hardware.

You're spending all this money on high performance hardware and the publishers/devs aren't taking advantage of it. They are targeting the least powerful systems, so that everything runs optimally across the board.

It's just souped up console ports at this point.

PC gamers spend all this money on hardware just to get versions of games that don't look that much better than the console versions. With many being broken even at release.

The days of PC games looking far superior is over. Accept it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you're already on PC and really need to play those first party console exclusives, it's best to wait until the generation is almost over and pick up the console for under £100 and the games for a £10 or less.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As i've stated before, there are many aspects of consoles i don't like i.e lack of a open digital market, it's closed nature, it's reliance on retail (i hate physical media and value space), no free online gaming, pay-walled features, ***** network speeds, lack of original IP, a non existent strategy genre, almost no mod support, it's focus on AAA and sequels, lack of I/O options, adverts embedded within the interface, only 1 of the 3 support digital refunds, etc.

The only thing going for consoles is first party exclusives. That's it. If i felt the need to play them, i'd wait until the generation is almost over, pick up the console for under £100 and buy the exclusives games for £10 or less, play them, then sell the lot.

The grass definitely isn't greener on the other side.

Also, it'll be VR that pushes PC hardware over the coming years. Not mediocre AAA console ports.

Associate
OP
I might be in cloud cuckoo land but if the majority of games run at 4K60 then I probably won't upgrade my PC.

Cloud cuckoo land indeed. Never going to happen. Someone should tell the peasants over on Resetera to pull their head from dreamland too, with regards to their expectations for next gen consoles. They expect an i7, 32GB of RAM, and a GPU equivalent of a 1080Ti for $400.

Anyway, i'm of the opinion that console gamers shouldn't be concerned with specs. It's a box you plug into your TV, play games, that's it.

If they want great hardware then they should buy a PC and pay for decent hardware, like everybody else. Otherwise, they should shut the **** up about specifications and continue to play popcorn games.

Associate
OP
Thought it would be a good time to revive the thread since we know more about next gen consoles and the pricing of GPUs still haven't changed much. Cards are still overpriced and value for money still isn't there if you want to game at over 1080P.

With next gen consoles, the line between the platforms will be even more blurred than they were previously.

Personally, if prices don't improve within the GPU space, i might just get a next gen console for graphically demanding games and keep the PC for indies and other genres.

AMD/Nvidia only have themselves to blame if GPU sales start to drop like a lead balloon next year.

Associate
OP
I'm not falling for the hype of new consoles again. Within a year I'm back to pc gaming as new amazing hardware comes out and console gaming is just so limited.

You have a point and it happens every generation. I bought the PS4 and played a few so-called great exclusives, disliked the console so much and realised what i take for granted on PC. I got my money back and sold the games.

I won't be getting a next gen console. I'm just going to upgrade my system instead when the time is right.

Played with the idea due to the buzz surrounding them at present, but the reality is you just can't get the PC experience on these systems. I missed the options/openness/customisation/cheaper games/free online gaming, etc. It's more than just graphics/performance.

Also prefer to concentrate on one platform too as you play more.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Aye, games like Neverwinter Nights is £47.99 on PSN, LMAO plus you need to pay a sub to play online.

Same game can be had for £15 on PC and DRM free.

Enjoy yer next gen consoles..:p:D

image-png.212641

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If the projected estimates are true, the next-gen consoles won't be beaten on price! You would be hard-pressed to build an equivalent PC in the same price bracket. We're not going to see significant reductions in hardware pricing either.

I simply can't justify a rebuild, or splurging hundreds of pounds on just a GPU upgrade. Moreover, with developers favouring the console demographic, it seems like the logical choice! I'm tired of the divide caused by different storefronts, I'm fed up with shoddy console ports. I want a system that will last me the duration of the generation, with no necessity to upgrade to play the latest and greatest games!

Some fair points raised there.

But i don't like the lack of a open digital market, it's closed nature, it's reliance still on retail, no free online gaming, pay-walled features, ***** network speeds, lack of original IP, a non existent strategy genre, almost no mod support, it's focus on AAA and sequels, lack of I/O options, adverts embedded within the interface, only 1 of the 3 support digital refunds, etc.

I don't see much of the above changing for the next systems. I'm not falling for the hype again either, it happens every generation when a new console is getting released.

PC gaming is more than just graphics/performance. From my own experience it was hard going back to a console. PC gamers don't realise how good we have it and take a lot for granted. I'll pay a bit more for the hardware.

If it's one thing people are ****** about the PC, it's GPU prices. GPU prices will stabilize eventually, plus a third player in Intel in the GPU space means more competition at some point.

But aye, no system is perfect. Just that the PC suits me better for my needs, i suppose.

Associate
OP
The rumoured specs of the PS5 are very impressive, especially if you consider that it's likely to have full backwards compatibility: Zen 2 CPU, 9-12 TFLOP Navi GPU, SSD Storage, Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
If it's a toss-up between a £499 GPU upgrade or a £499 next-gen console, I know which one I'd choose!

Yes, they are, definitely. But as i stated in a previous thread it's all rumours/hype/marketing at this point.

Just to quote myself, save me from typing.

12 TF? What are these rumours based on? If it's just by Phil Spencer saying it's double the GPU performance of the X1, then those rumors hold zero truth as that could mean absolutely anything when you consider all the variables.

Frankly, it's all just marketing talk/nonsense. Phil Spencer knew what he was doing here. It creates discussion of their product and even when it's released people will still believe it's the most powerful box, even if it isn't. It's marketing 101.

I wouldn't believe anything until the consoles are out in the market, tested, dissected and games are fully analysed.

The X1 was apparently the same GPU performance as 1070, but when you contrasted the X1/PC versions of games it was a **** show for the console.

It's all hype and nothing more at this point.

If you prefer a console, fair enough.

I do get the feeling though that once the systems have been released a lot of people will have been red-pilled when reality hits.

The hype is hitting ridiculous levels and we're only in January.

Back
Top Bottom