People you admired but now you don't

Soldato
Rolf Harris has got to be one lol. He always seemed like such a nice guy. Never had any rants or bad press, did loads of charity work etc. He went from the top right to the bottom over night.

Throughout all of history, Many smart, talented, and creative people have also been total ***** as far as their personal lives are concerned. (I think various paraphilia's are not at all uncommon and may well present at a higher rate than in the general population. An interesting topic for research perhaps)

I admire Sharks and Piranha fish, but I wouldn't want to share a pool with one!

It is always important not to confuse the work that people do with who they actually are!

Associate
Linford Christie - got his father to state on TV "Linford don't take drugs" when all the time "Linford do take drugs".
Emma Thompson - for obvious reasons.
Gareth Thomas - one day he's the macho man of Welsh Rugby but only after he stopped playing did he announce that he was a homosexual.

I've never liked Phillip Schofield who made a joke about Rail Track being taken back into public ownership when thousands of pensioners' funds were invested in the company.

Soldato
I don't know what the obvious reasons are for Emma Thomson.

And Gareth Thomas, you dislike him now because he's homosexual? Or because he didn't want to declare it to everyone when he felt that he lived and worked in a place which would be very toxic about it? Do you think there was some reason him declaring his homsexulaity should have been mandatory, that it annoys you he didn't?

Associate
I don't know what the obvious reasons are for Emma Thomson.

And Gareth Thomas, you dislike him now because he's homosexual? Or because he didn't want to declare it to everyone when he felt that he lived and worked in a place which would be very toxic about it? Do you think there was some reason him declaring his homsexulaity should have been mandatory, that it annoys you he didn't?

Emma Thomson flies 5000 miles in business class (the equivalent of 10 seats) to attend a protest for climate change in UK.

Gareth Thomas - I gave my reasons in my original post.

PS: I have no issues with homosexuality; just as long as they don't make it compulsory!

Associate
Lostprophets, used to love listening to them growing up, Start Something was one of my most listened to albums. Turns out Ian was into toddlers, not been able to listen to them since, any reference to romance / good times makes me feel sick. I still don't buy it that none of the bandmates knew what he was up to.

Soldato
Emma Thomson flies 5000 miles in business class (the equivalent of 10 seats) to attend a protest for climate change in UK.

Gareth Thomas - I gave my reasons in my original post.

PS: I have no issues with homosexuality; just as long as they don't make it compulsory!

OK I understand the Emma Thomson one. Although expecting someone to never make a mistake is asking for a fall I guess.

Are you sure you gave your reasons for Gareth? So your problem is that he was macho but at the same time he was gay but not publicizing it? I feel like there's some detail missing. I don't understand what's objectionable about it.

Associate
Are you sure you gave your reasons for Gareth? So your problem is that he was macho but at the same time he was gay but not publicizing it? I feel like there's some detail missing. I don't understand what's objectionable about it.

It is worth mentioning that Gareth Thomas was married to a female, the lady had three miscarriages so no doubt his team mates would have considered him to be heterosexual. I've played a bit or rugby in my past and at the end of the game there is usually communal showers, I think nowadays there are communal ice baths (NOT my bag) and I wouldn't like to think that I'd had communal showers/baths with a guy I thought was heterosexual only to discover that all the time he had been homosexual. He could very well have told his team mates from the outset. I haven't got much else to say on the matter really.

Soldato
It is worth mentioning that Gareth Thomas was married to a female, the lady had three miscarriages so no doubt his team mates would have considered him to be heterosexual. I've played a bit or rugby in my past and at the end of the game there is usually communal showers, I think nowadays there are communal ice baths (NOT my bag) and I wouldn't like to think that I'd had communal showers/baths with a guy I thought was heterosexual only to discover that all the time he had been homosexual. He could very well have told his team mates from the outset. I haven't got much else to say on the matter really.

Ah I get it, you're just a straight up homophobe?

Soldato
Lolz.

That reminds me of a very naive young lady I used to know who found out her dentist was a lesbian and decided she wanted to change because "she might do anything to me while I'm knocked out!"
To her credit, when asked to consider whether the situation would be any different with a straight male dentist she was able to change her position and opinion - so many people these days can't bring themselves to do that.

Why do so many people seem to think that being gay makes you incapable of being anywhere near someone of the same sex without wanting to pounce on them?

Man of Honour
OP

I can't count how many married heterosexual guys I knew with kids who have eventually come out, three of them actually came out to me first and many of them I've shared showers with after a football match - it bothered me not one jot.
Contrary to popular belief gay blokes don't fancy every bloke they see.

Caporegime
Speaking of Philip Schofield... he's now come out this morning at 57 after 27 years of marriage and two daughters. I might need some educating because I don't understand how you realise you're gay that late in life. Unless he's always been aware but never wanted to accept it.

Last edited:
Associate
Ah I get it, you're just a straight up homophobe?

No, that's NOT the case. I don't like people purporting to be something they are NOT.

Speaking of Philip Schofield... he's now come out this morning at 57 after 27 years of marriage and two daughters. I might need some educating because I don't understand how you realise you're gay that late in life. Unless he's always been aware but never wanted to accept it.

I too don't understand how someone can be heterosexual today and homosexual tomorrow. Schofield's wife must be devastated, having said that she's probably better off without him. I know I would be. I remember speaking to a married lady who said that she had split up from her husband and was waiting for a divorce for adultery, she said "I came home from work one afternoon and found my husband in bed with another man!"

I won't dislike him anymore than I do now (that's impossible). I wasn't aware that he had announced that he was homosexual. If I see his face on TV; I flick over.

Soldato

You don't just suddenly realise. You don't understand for the same reason I don't understand, because we're straight. I have gay friends who have commended him because they've said coming out was the single most difficult thing they've ever had to do.

I think it's very respectable.

Back
Top Bottom