The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
So tried one tonight on the Yorkshire course, blimey that was tough but some good training, put out 314W for 20:24 and 4.7W/KG, trying to get your head around when to put the power down and when not took a while, but came home in 28th.

Associate
Stage 7 long done this morning , didnt want to go too hard but damn you just cant take it easy in these things can you ?

Anyhow I missed stage 6 so will catch that up next week with hopefully doing the race ride and trying not to get blown away up the 3 hills

Soldato
Stage 7 done for me too to finish TdZ. I often ride Watopia but I really enjoyed Yorkshire and Richmond so will ride them more. When do I get my jersey?! I need to do a ramp test too in case there have been gains. Going to follow the British Cycling eRacing workouts for a few weeks to get ready for my Duathlon at the end of March.

Soldato
Scottish lad doing 450w+ for 30mins @ 130BPM last night on TdZ stage :p He's also shrunk 1cm in height recently.
Lad on my new race team was in the same club as Mr 450W FTP so I asked him to confirm the guy is pure cheating or is he a Brad Wiggins level rider that somehow I've never heard of.... confirmed, the chap rides in the slowest group of their training rides and can barely hack it. Yet he's pumping out 450w avg's in Zwift races on his turbo trainer he got for his Xmas :p :p

They are my favourite type of cheat. The ones that know their data is completely fabricated. But they just plough on pretending that they are unaware. Why would you cheat your own self in this way and be OK with it? the mind boggles.

Soldato
probably one for @xdcx I notice that if I join an event and warm up on the "turbo" this doesn't count as time ridden in Strava/TP etc, but shows the total time in Zwift. IS this data captured anywhere or is the best way to properly record stuff like this on the Garmin as a separate activity. Just wonderign if I need to adjust my T Scores as I've got about 15minutes yesterday unaccounted for. Some of it ridden at a bit of an effort.

Soldato
probably one for @xdcx I notice that if I join an event and warm up on the "turbo" this doesn't count as time ridden in Strava/TP etc, but shows the total time in Zwift. IS this data captured anywhere or is the best way to properly record stuff like this on the Garmin as a separate activity. Just wonderign if I need to adjust my T Scores as I've got about 15minutes yesterday unaccounted for. Some of it ridden at a bit of an effort.

If by some miracle I'm ready to ride more than ~2mins before a race start, I do a freeride warmup and then hit the "join event" button in bottom-left when it gets to ~90secs before race start. Zwift will then upload that warmup to Strava and give you TSS data etc. for it.

It's another area Zwift could do with improving, uploading significant virtual turbo warmups in the pre-race pens.

Soldato
@SoliD it's as @UTmaniac says, best to just do a free ride for 10-20mins wherever and hit the "join event" button down the bottom left 1-2mins before the event starts.
Sitting in the start pen on the imaginery turbo will not correspond to anything you move over to Strava or more importantly, Training Peaks.... Way back when I would sit in there and probably score a good 15TSS or more which I would never actually capture in TP due to the problem you are seeing here.

So just ride anywhere as normal and hit join event a minute before the event. The only annoyance here is that you end up with 2x rides in Strava/TP. One of which being warmup and then one being the event but this is the only way really to capture all your data properly.

The biggest downside is on things like TdZ where you can have 1000+ people in it and a mass start.... if you hit that join event button with a minute to spare in those you will end up starting in 800+ position and even for strong strong lads it is hard to make it all the way through to the very front group.
For any other non massive events where you have like 30-100 people in A then joining a minute before it starts is fine. So just something to be weary of when doing these huge events and joining them. Get in start pens early and just sacrifice the warmup data for those is my advice.

Soldato
@SoliD it's as @UTmaniac says, best to just do a free ride for 10-20mins wherever and hit the "join event" button down the bottom left 1-2mins before the event starts.
Sitting in the start pen on the imaginery turbo will not correspond to anything you move over to Strava or more importantly, Training Peaks.... Way back when I would sit in there and probably score a good 15TSS or more which I would never actually capture in TP due to the problem you are seeing here.

So just ride anywhere as normal and hit join event a minute before the event. The only annoyance here is that you end up with 2x rides in Strava/TP. One of which being warmup and then one being the event but this is the only way really to capture all your data properly.

The biggest downside is on things like TdZ where you can have 1000+ people in it and a mass start.... if you hit that join event button with a minute to spare in those you will end up starting in 800+ position and even for strong strong lads it is hard to make it all the way through to the very front group.
For any other non massive events where you have like 30-100 people in A then joining a minute before it starts is fine. So just something to be weary of when doing these huge events and joining them. Get in start pens early and just sacrifice the warmup data for those is my advice.

It is odd as I'm pretty sure TP is showing as the correct time in each Zone, but I will know for future to join much later on/Keep my Garmin ride to ensure I get the TSS data as this is all I'm really interested in.

dod

dod

Soldato
Scottish lad doing 450w+ for 30mins @ 130BPM last night on TdZ stage :p He's also shrunk 1cm in height recently.
Lad on my new race team was in the same club as Mr 450W FTP so I asked him to confirm the guy is pure cheating or is he a Brad Wiggins level rider that somehow I've never heard of.... confirmed, the chap rides in the slowest group of their training rides and can barely hack it. Yet he's pumping out 450w avg's in Zwift races on his turbo trainer he got for his Xmas :p :p

They are my favourite type of cheat. The ones that know their data is completely fabricated. But they just plough on pretending that they are unaware. Why would you cheat your own self in this way and be OK with it? the mind boggles.
How does that work? I can understand the w/kg being out if you put in a really light weight but I thought the system was picking up the watts from the trainer so would be accurate? (within the limits of the trainer anyway)

Soldato
How does that work? I can understand the w/kg being out if you put in a really light weight but I thought the system was picking up the watts from the trainer so would be accurate? (within the limits of the trainer anyway)

Mis-calibrated trainer. I think the majority of "cheating" is actually mis-cal'd trainers.

Soldato
As the weekend weather isn't looking great I'm thinking about doing the Fondo on Sunday next.
Forecast here was grim with weather warnings for storms. Looking now Saturday is actually ok, cool start but the winds only coming in the evening. Rain then too all the way through sunday with some high winds, but not storm levels from what I can tell.

So tried one tonight on the Yorkshire course, blimey that was tough but some good training, put out 314W for 20:24 and 4.7W/KG, trying to get your head around when to put the power down and when not took a while, but came home in 28th.
Great numbers/effort/result buddy! Monsterious Matt Looker from 3R in that same race but looks like he got pipped in the sprint. Must have been a tough one as that's not that big a sprint for him! :o

Stage 7 done for me too to finish TdZ. I often ride Watopia but I really enjoyed Yorkshire and Richmond so will ride them more. When do I get my jersey?! I need to do a ramp test too in case there have been gains. Going to follow the British Cycling eRacing workouts for a few weeks to get ready for my Duathlon at the end of March.
Think you get the Jersey after all stages 'finish', but guess that may not be until after the catchup events are all over...

Why would you cheat your own self in this way and be OK with it? the mind boggles.
Because WINNIGN!!!1one

Annoying as hell, c'mon ZADA. Time you stepped up more! :rolleyes:

Soldato
I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I'm level 10 and only just realised I can buy gear... :confused: :cool: :eek: As I think back, I do remember looking through the different brands products before when I first installed Zwift, but that was very early on when I didn't have any drops anyway. Since then I literally just jump on and ride.

So, I bought a Ribble Endurance frame and Roval CLX64 wheels :)

Soldato
Wheel on trainer with just a light touch to the roller? People are just odd. What do you achieve by it. You're not winning any money or anything!

They are though man that's what's even more wrong with this platform and any seriousness attached to it. The prize for 1st in the pro am races these past few weeks is thousands of dollars and there has already been winners DQ for out of this world data. It's a total shambles.

Soldato
I probably shouldn't admit to this, but I'm level 10 and only just realised I can buy gear... :confused: :cool: :eek: As I think back, I do remember looking through the different brands products before when I first installed Zwift, but that was very early on when I didn't have any drops anyway. Since then I literally just jump on and ride.

So, I bought a Ribble Endurance frame and Roval CLX64 wheels :)

Meh dont worry. I have 5 million drops or something and dont spend them as theres nothing worth buying with them!!

Soldato
Meh dont worry. I have 5 million drops or something and dont spend them as theres nothing worth buying with them!!

Same here over 6 million and no interest in anything in the store or any in game store for that matter! I just ride the standard Zwift bikes mostly and I only bought the Zwift gravel bike to feel the difference.

When I switched from a TacX Vortex trainer to a Neo I noticed the output from the on wheel trainer was generally 10% higher. I trust the Neo more from reading reviews so I reset my profile and started my stats over again!

Soldato
Glad there are catch up sessions for TDZ. Did stage 3 race (but just went in group D and treated it as an easy ride) and stage 4 short. Just under 2 hours on the bike in total.

My Vortex sounds like it's making some bearingy type noises which is odd as it wasn't last time I rode (about 3 weeks ago). Didn't go away during the ride. Will need to try it a couple more times then contact Tacx if it continues...

Back
Top Bottom