The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Associate
Thanks @Roady for the information. The plan is to start small (for now) to see if I will get use out of it as there's no point spending a lot if I won't use it. I'll use the trainer I have with a speed and cadence sensor for now and then look to upgrade in future.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I have the elite Suito, the chain-set is more noisey. For the money and 10% off from Halfords which is easy to find, its a no brainer, been using for 8weeks 4 times a week and its been great.

How you guys manage to type and ride still pushing big numbers is beyond my capability but then i am a CAT D with a mere 207FTP at 78kg and one more year till i am 50 :) Still should have the pain cave ready this weekend instead of stinking the lounge out :)

Soldato
Looking for some recommendations guys, as to which turbo trainers are most highly regarded these days.

Since I last owned a turbo trainer, direct drive seems to have become a lot more popular - are these considerably quieter than the old "tyre on roller" style turbos? Silent/quiet/vibration-less operation is of paramount importance for me this time around, as the setup will be in a spare bedroom, with a neighbour below who I'd rather not disturb too much!

Smart trainers seem to be the in thing now too, with power meters built in to the turbos - is Zwift the best piece of training software to make the most of these smart trainers?

My budget is circa £500 for a decent trainer, what would you recommend? Worth mentioning I'm rather heavy at around 105kg, with power to match.

FWIW, I have a Tacx Neo and while it’s very quiet and sound doesn’t travel sideways, there is still a fair amount of vibration and creaking in the room below even with a thick rubber mat under it. It’s not ridiculous but I’d probably mention it to your neighbour and be proactive about it.

Soldato
Heads-up you can get a free TICKR HRM via Sufferfest. Kudos as they offering this not just to new users, but also users who move from monthly to annual billing and users already on annual sub's (ie me!)

https://support.thesufferfest.com/h...352576#h_1de8c7bc-20cc-46d7-b758-0ffe27cdf2b0

My "free" TICKR HRM arrived this week, just had to pay £5 delivery. Good timing as my Scosche optical HRM has started to die in the past couple of weeks, though it looks like Scosche might replace it despite being 3.5 years old.

To answer Roady's question, Sufferfest is 129 USD a year or 15 USD a month.

Tour of Sufferlandria starts tomorrow, tough week ahead on the turbo. Might try the Thursday / Friday stages before breakfast and going to work...

lL74HDHl.jpg

Soldato
Rode the alpe today, didn’t feel amazing but it’s nice to have a base to see where I am at.

I had someone who was riding Ergo at 3.8wkg just ahead of me to use as a pacer for most of the climb.

HR a little high, but I haven’t done that much turbo work, power was in line with what I’ve done before but I am perhaps 4-6 weeks ahead of previous years so that’s good.

Soldato
Started off this morning doing the long London for tdz which decided to change map about 2/3rds through... So sort of annoyed and lacking time I went for a quick run, finished the shorter b route at lunchtime after I'd done what I needed to do. Going to attempt a long race tomorrow morning mid storm as my actual race has been cancelled.

Soldato
Yay, another race/ride 2/3rds thru and zwift has joined another ride I added. Lesson learnt now. Shame you can't add reminders of what's coming up with no commitment.

Soldato
I done my best ever 60min power on a Zwift TT on Friday. 299w. OCD kicked off good and proper at that.
Then I won a sprint in a race on Saturday. I was in 10th with 250m to go and unleashed the fury. Got the 2 lads on the line and still have no idea how the hell I managed it.

So I am a 62KG time trialing sprinter now. Good ole Zwift.

Soldato
I done my best ever 60min power on a Zwift TT on Friday. 299w. OCD kicked off good and proper at that.
Then I won a sprint in a race on Saturday. I was in 10th with 250m to go and unleashed the fury. Got the 2 lads on the line and still have no idea how the hell I managed it.

So I am a 62KG time trialing sprinter now. Good ole Zwift.

Nice, I was really enjoying the Fire + Ice route going up the Alpe yesterday morning picking riders off before Zwift decided to join another event. Went and did the 3R sequoia after and just plodded round in Z3/4 for most of it after pushing the better part of 300W for 45 minutes in the previous attempt. Will give that a go again at some point as quite enjoyed it, would help if I knew that the climb was at the end though, might not have gone so hard. PPPP!

Still need an ant+ stick for my laptop, anyone got any cheap recommendations!

Soldato
Soldato
Completed my tour yesterday. Woke up and I had originally intended to do one stage on saturday, the 3R 100km sunday morning followed by the second but just did 2 stages in a row on sunday instead.

Stage 7: Harrowgate
https://www.strava.com/activities/3103932962
https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=333460

First up was Yorkshire and it was utterly brutal. So attritional. I let the front group go and settled into a chase group of around a dozen. I found myself generally chasing wheels the first half but did find myself one of the most powerful on the main climb so was the right side of a decisive split. Quite a big group behind the split would constantly close the gap and then lose it on the bigger ramps. The two riders with me where constantly surging and then easing, so I was alternating between chasing wheels or between riders trying to judge what to do. Really on my limit, then at other times able to easy pedal and recover. Into the second lap the 3 became two as 1 guy went up the road when another guy going like a steam train came past us. The next time up the big climb I distanced my companion and reeled in the guy from up front. I dropped him soon after but he formed a 2up behind chasing me with the other. The drag & slight ease into the finish (by the drafthouse) before the ramp, they'd caught me but I'd been gradually easing to save something for the sprint. I opened up and although I was caught, the guy who'd passed me couldn't sustain it up the final ramp, so I kicked and went over the top of him easily, he was unable to follow and neither of them able to get on my wheel when I went. Horrible course to have done first so quite glad I missed the immediate start I had planned for stage 4...

As I missed the start of the group ride for Stage 4 by a few minutes I changed my jersey, grabbed some snacks and rolled around for 20 minutes until the Race start. I figured as the Long Ride and Race for Bologna where the same length then so be it. Same race 'it's not a race'. ;)

Stage 4: Bologna
https://www.strava.com/activities/3104341772/
https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=333676 (Find me in filtered results along with the 3 others I was racing)

I figured this one being on this TT course would be frantic but it was actually quite a measured start! I found myself in a chase group but I was the one doing most of the towing. We caught/reeled in the front 3 riders just before the first gradual ramps started towards the hill. A gradual selection was made and I found myself chasing the scattered riders up the road with a gap behind. I eased a little to be with a couple more chasers, when the real incline started they mostly dropped back. I was feeling quite strong so settled into a 3w/kg pace which felt sustainable. One by 1 I reeled in the riders up front until only 1 (Lind) was left. I eased up a little pacing myself more. 4 of us very close togeher. Lind, Chitryn and a SA guy without a name Zwift could display. When we went through the arch to the steepest part I really started to burn, the two lighter riders gaining quite a lot of ground up front so I thought the race was over. Settled down and just paced it until back through the arches. The slight ease in gradient there (14% down to 6-7%?) really helped and I seemed to get some respite so was able to put the power down again. Holding 3.2-3.4w/kg at times was able to easily reel in the front 2 guys over the top, 3 of us together and one close behind. I descended in aero, easily keeping pace with the others due to my cake weight and getting some rest into my toasted legs. 4 of us together by the bottom I settled into my usual 2.5-2.8w/kg and seemed to be holding pace well. At a level I knew my legs cound sustain and could recover enough for the second time. At one point we got strung out and ended up as 2 groups of 2, I dropped Lind just as things began to wind up and he was caught by another guy from behind. We hit the second climb and I was rested enough to sustain similar efforts to the last time, fully expecting my previous companion (Lind) to do the same and he was getting a nice tow from the guy who'd caught him. I rode a little more reserved expecting them to catch me, they got within 4s just before the bridge and steep part. French towing guy was dropped. The feather and extra power I'd managed to save got put down hard and Lind hadn't got the legs to close me gradually losing ground on the steepest section. I knew I had him on the latter section so managed the gap all the way to the finish coming in 3rd. Supreme ride and effort from me, each of the climbs over my FTP (250W). First at 264W, second at 263W. Both the exact same time and power average. Call me Mr consistency! :D

Really glad I finished the TdZ. Every year it's given me a good kick start and I've always enjoyed it.

I started well, stalled with missing stage 4 and a bad day/ride/trainer on stage 5. Stage 6 I got my mojo back a bit so it felt good to continue that bit of form into the catchup days for some good results. I'd have liked to re-ride stage 3 & 5 for better results but no time.

How you guys manage to type and ride still pushing big numbers is beyond my capability but then i am a CAT D with a mere 207FTP at 78kg and one more year till i am 50 :) Still should have the pain cave ready this weekend instead of stinking the lounge out :)
I find it quite easy with my Quadlock and companion app on my mobile - typing from my bars!

Nothing wrong with those numbers, weight and age! Regardless of your FTP, the HR zones and 'feel' of large efforts - regardless of the actual power produced - your efforts will be the same as others ("It never gets any easier, you just go faster!"). I'm the same weight and in large efforts (like my Bologna climbs above) could only type short messages, much easier to stay 'in the zone' and keep pushing without distractions. Then again much of it could be stamina, from riding hard and deep into threshold you get to the stage you can sustain it. I tend to blow up with my HR towards 190bpm, but equally those sustained efforts deep into it at 180bpm and slightly above I can recover from without blowing up or even needing to ease very much... While also 'chatting'/typing. Just get 'used' to being on the knife edge and floating around it.

My "free" TICKR HRM arrived this week, just had to pay £5 delivery. Good timing as my Scosche optical HRM has started to die in the past couple of weeks, though it looks like Scosche might replace it despite being 3.5 years old.

To answer Roady's question, Sufferfest is 129 USD a year or 15 USD a month.
Great deal for the TICKR. Fantastic little device, enjoy!

Good deal on SF but really can't justify that alongside a Zwift sub...

Yay, another race/ride 2/3rds thru and zwift has joined another ride I added. Lesson learnt now. Shame you can't add reminders of what's coming up with no commitment.
You can - just have to be aware of the popup when you get it. You on PC? Around 8-10 minutes before you get a countdown timer on the rightleft hand side, there is an option to join or leave there. Then when the counter gets to 5 minutes left you get the popup in the middle with a 30s counter. If you don't click on 'Stay' it'll auto 'OK' you which will put you in the pen for the ride you've 'Joined'. But that's probably what you've observed! ;)

Still need an ant+ stick for my laptop, anyone got any cheap recommendations!
I have the Suunto moviestick you sold me a few years ago? ;)

but the cover is a bit broken and it's a bit hit & miss some days (replaced it with the standalone Tacx one). DHB/Wiggle/Lifeline do their own which is meant to be ok.[/S]

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Will look into the quadlock and maybe a cheap tablet for the companion app. Well into IM training atm and really need to follow a plan otherwise i get sidetracked and lose focus far to easily. Indoor training has been a fantastic addition but i do miss the social group rides the summer brings. Hopefully i will be in a better position to enjoy them more this coming summer (fingers crossed we get one that is not constantly warm and wet)

Soldato
You can - just have to be aware of the popup when you get it. You on PC? Around 8-10 minutes before you get a countdown timer on the right hand side, there is an option to join or leave there. Then when the counter gets to 5 minutes left you get the popup in the middle with a 30s counter. If you don't click on 'Stay' it'll auto 'OK' you which will put you in the pen for the ride you've 'Joined'. But that's probably what you've observed! ;).

On a PC and I get the message, but it twice happened where it joined by itself without the warning on screen. I know I can say no thanks. Bit frustrating but know for future. First race was going well climbing my way up to about 35th before I got booted.

Soldato
Will look into the quadlock and maybe a cheap tablet for the companion app. Well into IM training atm and really need to follow a plan otherwise i get sidetracked and lose focus far to easily. Indoor training has been a fantastic addition but i do miss the social group rides the summer brings. Hopefully i will be in a better position to enjoy them more this coming summer (fingers crossed we get one that is not constantly warm and wet)
Why not a Smartphone? Doesn't have to be big, in fact it's better that it's small being bar mounted as I assume you're IM training you'll be using aerobars?

Quadlock are great but very overpriced, look for deals and discounts as places like Evans' and Halfords have them. I bought mine second hand with a 'broken' iphone case, then bought the specific case I needed (Android S7). Thnking about it I probably have an S5 case somewhere as I started with one of those... Anyone holla if you need and I'll dig it out.

On a PC and I get the message, but it twice happened where it joined by itself without the warning on screen. I know I can say no thanks. Bit frustrating but know for future. First race was going well climbing my way up to about 35th before I got booted.
Weird, can't say I've noticed that behaviour, but then again I'll only generally ride with 1 or 2 events 'Joined' at max and will generally make a decision and cancel long before the 5 minute timer starts. Or I'll want to join the event... Then again if I wanted to and hadn't had the 5 minute countdown popup I'd have left & rejoined to be sure I made the start pen...

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I have trouble reading my smart phone at that distance without my glasses for the chat detail :( and I hate riding with my glasses on indoors.

Soldato
Had a shot on my mates dad's account tonight. Some sort of tacx vortex I think.

8pm Kiss flat circuit 30km.

Got 5th overall in the B group. Is it normal for the B group to finish faster than the A group due to the size of the bunch?

I was trying to master not surging, as soon as I saw the watts/kg go up or my place dropping I would build up slowly but still end up off the front :o.

Jumped at 0.6km to go, then settled to 400w ish then went full gas seated for actual sprint at 0.2km.

Could have won it if I got out the saddle :D maybe....

Soldato
I have trouble reading my smart phone at that distance without my glasses for the chat detail :( and I hate riding with my glasses on indoors.
Ah, fair enough. Can't help you with that! I've previously had my eyes lasered but now need glasses, I do generally ride with mine on, but don't technnically need them to see for riding/chatting etc, just suffer from a lazy eye that's worse when I'm tired in the crappy lighting in my garage. With glasses on it's not as bad... Although I do remove them when things get a bit sweaty and will then generally put them back on when cooling down... I don't ride with glasses outside.

Could have won it if I got out the saddle :D maybe....
Nope, you'd never have 'won'! Even if using someone elses account was 'allowed', you didn't even class as finished as you got removed from results as race requires a HRM. So you could never have 'officially' won (official results are from ZP not Zwift as Admins/organisers can influence results there) ;)

But yeah, due to draft in Zwift there are times 'slow' groups will catch faster ones... It's all part of racing and one of the main differences between 'real' racing - the draft. You don't really get small breakaways in Zwift able to stay away from a pack of chasers for very long...

4zuvlCM.jpg

Good numbers anyway buddy, 301W NP, although the Vortex does tend to over-read a bit when surging/sprinting I found the average power numbers only really at most 10-15% over 'real' numbers in the worst cases. But mine was quite carefully calibrated. Guy doesn't seem to be on Strava (or paired his ZP account to Strava) to dig into the numbers and data any more than that. Looking at a 5m/1m/15s you didn't sprint? I'd expect bigger numbers from you! ;)

Back
Top Bottom