why all the hate for hs2?

Caporegime
That was also after Thatcher destroyed an earlier attempt to push for it, I really don't get why this country is seemingly unable to achieve anything tangible.

So when we could be years ahead, we're decades behind.

Soldato
given that Huawei, was in the news -
Is 5G a similarly large infrastructure project sucking up GDP, for which, the benefits are questionable, and, we should be ensuring thorough deployment/coverage of
lesser 2g/4g/fibre before investing further.

.... this would avoid either the wrath of Trump, or china in brexit trade deals, or usa security sharing concerns.

Soldato
Indeed sitting alone the couch wrapped in a blanket Ill atm working away if I had to go into an office it would have been not a chance and a sicky as it is I’m still functioning at 90% efficiency rather either 0 because I’d be off or infecting the rest of the staff

But if you never have to see anyone other than through email this is going to cause other issues such as lack of social progression etc.

It's great if you have a partner, kids, decent career etc but youngsters nowadays struggle with social bonding.... This will make it worse.

Soldato
Maybe 5G is privately financed (albeit the tax payer will just pay for inconvenience of digging up the roads) but like H2S, this is discussed with the same blinkered zeal;
I'm wondering if the northern powerhouse is going to get the compromised Huawei hardware whilst the South , the good stuff.

plus, the rhetoric about not compromising UK security, so, anyone in the security services will not be allowed to make phone calls in particular Huawei areas ? (despite end to end encryption)

5G per se - the best the media can come with is faster film downloads and cars communicating - living the dream

Associate
I wouldn't even buy a TP Link wireless usb dongle, never mind a Huawei 5G Mast.

We should be buying the best. Cisco or Fujitsu.

As for HS2, it should be built and I would also give reversing the beaching cuts more money too. 500m aint going far.

Soldato
This country is obsessed with doing everything on the cheap. Possible security issues due to cheap Huawei equipment, increased accident rates due to cheap "smart" motorways rather than building new lanes or adding radar technology and I'm sure they'll cheap out on hs2 in the end as well.

Perhaps only 1 carriage due to budget cuts :p

Soldato
Mass transit will always be required. Rail usage has been rising for 40 years, amidst all the technological developments that have taken place in that time.

Video conferencing has been talked about for at least as long. It’s decent- used to use it quite a lot at my old employer. But more often than not, it just supplemented email. The sites we often communicated with were a long distance away, and we’d have never taken car journeys instead- we’d have just emailed or phoned. If something really serious arose, then someone would physically visit. One to one interaction in person is still miles better than chatting through a screen, especially in my field of engineering.

Despite this, I can’t see HS2 going ahead in its entirety- we penny pinch at the best of times. It would be great to see real revolutions in urban mass transit in many areas- this would be more beneficial to more people, and cheaper.

Soldato
But if you never have to see anyone other than through email this is going to cause other issues such as lack of social progression etc.

It's great if you have a partner, kids, decent career etc but youngsters nowadays struggle with social bonding.... This will make it worse.
no. Youngers thrive to work remotely as they tend to do so in a coffee shop and even sometimes abroad in a working place/accomodation.

Thats the joys of remote working. You can work anywhere in the world..

Soldato
We need more trains going between towns/cities which arent London. HS2 is yet another London focused project. Brits are moving out of London because its already way to expensive.

Soldato
This country is obsessed with doing everything on the cheap. Possible security issues due to cheap Huawei equipment, increased accident rates due to cheap "smart" motorways rather than building new lanes or adding radar technology and I'm sure they'll cheap out on hs2 in the end as well.

Perhaps only 1 carriage due to budget cuts :p
This is true actually

Soldato
Say what you like about Boris, but he made the trains run on time , apparently, "It is essential people have access to the best (5g) technology"
did Jennifer tell you this, a christmas cracker ... and why do we need to be early adopters ?

I don't need to dowload a film in 7s, and, at least in the cities, we may not be allowed cars for much longer, so their ability to speak (I'm in a traffic jam #metoo)
not so useful.

Soldato
Say what you like about Boris, but he made the trains run on time , apparently, "It is essential people have access to the best (5g) technology"
did Jennifer tell you this, a christmas cracker ... and why do we need to be early adopters ?

I don't need to dowload a film in 7s, and, at least in the cities, we may not be allowed cars for much longer, so their ability to speak (I'm in a traffic jam #metoo)
not so useful.
Its so we can all work from home and thust not need public transport

Caporegime
After our chancellor announced his backing for HS2 today, I suspect BJ will go ahead with it but again its a case of putting party before country. Lots of senior Tory MPs are stating their reasons why we need to go ahead with HS2 are

credibility - Won;t look good on the Govt to pull the plug now after 10 years championing it and £8bn spent
Election promises - BJ promised infrastructure spend in the North and if they pull the plug on HS2, Northern people will feel betrayed and wont vote for them in the next election.

Both are terrible reasons to push ahead with HS2.

Caporegime
Doesn't really make sense, weren't a good few Tory MP's voted in to oppose the building of HS2?

I think this is one of those interior squabbles happening with the Tories where we all just go 'ah they're at it again' while they give their mates fat consultancy contracts while it stays in NIMBY limbo.

It's already costing >£10 billion to cancel the thing, **** sakes, they really are milking it.

You know what would also solve route congestion? Reducing the reason it is congested in the first place by ACTUALLY focusing on the North of England for once (more jobs in Northern cites & less jobs in London), if HS2 goes ahead, it's a big ******* hint that it's still all about London, and always will be.

The economic benefit would be larger in the long term and the well-being of the nation both socially and politically would finally establish a sense stability.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its so we can all work from home and thust not need public transport
broadband & fibre already gives us this ... and 5g range is not so great.

Hs2 willl just become like trumps wall - apparently some blew over today - Boris could get some brownie points by rejecting his predecessors stupidity

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201012/cmselect/cmtran/1185/1185we32.htm

3. SO WHY DO NORTHERN CITIES AND BUSINESSMEN THINK THEY WILL GAIN?
There are reasons that explain why northern cities and businessmen think they will gain:
— Cities served by an HS2 station think that their local economies will gain, but while the city may indeed benefit it is only at the expense of its hinterland. And only a few cities are proposed to have a station (London, Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester). The rest will not benefit.
— Cities and businesses are not being asked to choose between having HS2 and having other transport investment. There are major benefits related to incremental non HS2 transport improvements which would be available far earlier than if the money is wasted on HS2.
— Regional development and spatial economics are complex areas. It is not surprising people take at face value what Government tell them.
sounds/smells like brexit.

Soldato
Consider this a different way.

Lets us say that HS2 caps out at 100Bn.

Lets also say that it costs 100M/Mile to build new Motorway.

You could build 1000 miles of motorway for that!

(If the cost of constructing new motorway is less than 100M/Mile, even more. if not, a bit less. For information, the UK currently has just over 2000 miles of motorway)

Or,

You could build thousands of miles of new trunk roads, or thousands of by-passes or thousands of stretches of SC roads converted to Dual, or whatever.

Which would deliver the greatest benefit to the greatest number of people??

Caporegime
So latest reports now saying HS2 could end up costing up to 150bn!

when is enough is enough and somebody does the sensible then and pull the plug on this white elephant.?

imagine how much infrastructure we could build for 150bn?

Back
Top Bottom