• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It's not a great suggestion for 1440p gaming at 75 hz. 120 or 144hz sure...Either its sloppy coding or it's a plug to clear old stock of cards no one wants. Whichever, AMD needs to focus on the driver and leave advice on performance and upgrades to the reviewers and forums

Yep its nigh on misleading and probably coded back when 5700's werent available would be my guess! :D

I got a black screen driver crash last night and had to do a hard reset. Not had one of those in a long time. Doesn't bode well

FS ken!

Soldato
Okay something is up with windows. I'm getting driver reset/crashes even on the older 19.12.1 which used to be pretty stable for me. Wouldn't surprise me if MS have deployed another stealth update.

Associate
I guess the more bells and whistles the radeon app offers, the more chance M$ have of being able to interfere with it.
You'd hope AMD and other major product vendors would get early sight of M$ patches to allow for regression testing. Prob not though.

Plus the current AMD release schedule of a driver update a week is not without it's own risks in terms of introducing new bugs

Associate
Not gonna complain if they churn out 3 within a month, but there seems to be more items in the 'known issues' list than the fixed list which concerns me..
There were 8 known issues in 20.1.4 and now there are 11 in 20.2.1! On one hand it's great that AMD are turning bug fixes around quickly rather than keeping users waiting for monthly releases but it must be squeezing testing cycles even if developed in parallel leading to higher risk of new bugs being introduced. AMD need to take a long hard look at how they got into this mess and sort their processes out so that 3-4 driver releases per month are no longer necessary. I get the need for competitive advantage but in the last 8 months they have rushed products to market with unfinished drivers and firmware and then compounded the complexity with a complete driver overhaul with new UI and functionality. It's too much. Let's hope that the lessons are learned in time for Navi 2 in Q3 (if rumours are to be believed). I'm hoping to upgrade my vega towards the end of the year (black Friday time probs) and driver stability will be a key factor in that decision

Associate
I'm running the latest Adrenalin drivers on a Powercolor XT. The system is reporting the GPU fans spinning at 1190 RPM as is Argus, but the fans are stationary.

If I uncheck Fan Tuning and Apply then recheck and apply they fire up. Other than that drivers are stable for me.

Soldato
Windows 10 Server build 1809 and no issues with the latest drivers 20.2.1 . I know, why am i using a server edition of windows? because i didn't have an enterprise key handy and i wanted to test a bloat free windows.

Associate
I've installed 20.1.3 and am getting black screens on Minecraft and Youtube. Weird.

I get similar when playing MC and having video - like YT or Twitch on the second screen - seems to come and go with different 20.x.x drivers on Vega64, using Firefox.

Disabling h/w acceleration in the browser 'seems' to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom