• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
But to be honest when I spent 340 for the card I shouldn't have to edit the registry or anything other than plug and play. That's my main issue. I'm lucky where I could edit the registry or another changes. But we shouldn't period. Plug and play my boy. Plug and play.

It could very well be a coincidence but I haven't changed it back to find out.

I originally made the change on a mining rig and thought I would just change it on all my PCs... why not.

Soldato
Still getting a 1604 error whenever I try to install an Adrenaline 2020 driver (every version installed so far). Did the work around AMD suggested but the problem persists. I believe it is in relation to the HDMI audio driver which does not make the blindest bit of difference to me but frustrating.

Soldato
Still getting a 1604 error whenever I try to install an Adrenaline 2020 driver (every version installed so far). Did the work around AMD suggested but the problem persists. I believe it is in relation to the HDMI audio driver which does not make the blindest bit of difference to me but frustrating.

You did follow the steps here?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/e9bten/if_you_are_encountering_error_1604_during/

Otherwise just install from fresh the latest windows.

Soldato
Should i disable EnableUlps in the reg if i just have 1 gpu the 56 pulse? I thought that thing was for crossfire or sli configs not single card owners? And would it really help stutters etc in games?

Associate
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/e9bten/if_you_are_encountering_error_1604_during/

Also follow the instructions about the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter tool to remove "AMD WVR64". In my case I also needed to remove the "AMD Problem Report Wizard". I might have also removed the "AMD Settings" but cant exactly remember if I did or not, it was some time ago, I think it was listed twice so I think I removed it possibly. The clue was in the XML error report file during the driver install when you get the 1604 error message you can save/export it, if you look through the XML file with notepad++ and search for "fail" or "error" it tells you which components failed to install.

Soldato

Also follow the instructions about the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter tool to remove "AMD WVR64". In my case I also needed to remove the "AMD Problem Report Wizard". I might have also removed the "AMD Settings" but cant exactly remember if I did or not, it was some time ago, I think it was listed twice so I think I removed it possibly. The clue was in the XML error report file during the driver install when you get the 1604 error message you can save/export it, if you look through the XML file with notepad++ and search for "fail" or "error" it tells you which components failed to install.

Mah Gawd it works. Apparently the duplicate Branding Settings or other one were causing issue. Had previously tried the WVR64 and did not work.

Many thanks gents.

Soldato
Mah Gawd it works. Apparently the duplicate Branding Settings or other one were causing issue. Had previously tried the WVR64 and did not work.

Many thanks gents.

Next time just format the damn windows if your initial version is over 18 months old. :p
It barely takes 10 minutes these days and even Steam works having everything on a different drive/partition and just point the folder.

Associate
Has anyone checked out the game advisor in the new driver? For BL3 it rated 72 fps as marginal even though it knows I have a 75 hz monitor, and as an upgrade it recommends a Radeon VII. Bampots!

Soldato
Has anyone checked out the game advisor in the new driver? For BL3 it rated 72 fps as marginal even though it knows I have a 75 hz monitor, and as an upgrade it recommends a Radeon VII. Bampots!

I don't think it's telling you to upgrade, it's saying that if you want to upgrade, then here is the AMD upgrade path. Obviously whether you want something more powerful depends on what you have, and what results you want to get out of the games you play.

Associate
I don't think it's telling you to upgrade, it's saying that if you want to upgrade, then here is the AMD upgrade path. Obviously whether you want something more powerful depends on what you have, and what results you want to get out of the games you play.

I get that, and I was being a bit flippant, but why plug a card that is out of production and now legacy over the current 5700 xt? Odd. The performance rating of marginal was also completely arbitrary and therefore meaningless. If was coded intelligently it would take into account my monitor refresh rate and the fact I am using Chill to target 70 fps and rate as optimal. Why did they waste all that development time making this garbage instead of fixing the bugs? How do I turn it off?

Associate
Yeah thats the nail on head.
I'm sure I'm being too simplistic here as the driver devs will be separate from the UI devs but it does feel like the priorities have been wrong of late.

I just checked ye old interweb and see the VII is still on sale. So perhaps AMD are disingenuously trying to trick me into buying up their old stock rather than future proof my system? :confused:

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The VII is actually a great card @5t3v0 , quite expensive but has it strengths such as mining eth. Im not quite sure why they released it though as they clearly knew about the navi cards coming only months later, so you had vega's - about 18 months later vega II - 5 months later Navi..

The UI I toyed with last night before trying out a game - which actually played really well. I will explore the other features like recording desktop tonight if I can remember.

Associate
The VII is actually a great card @5t3v0 , quite expensive but has it strengths such as mining eth. Im not quite sure why they released it though as they clearly knew about the navi cards coming only months later, so you had vega's - about 18 months later vega II - 5 months later Navi..
It's not a great suggestion for 1440p gaming at 75 hz. 120 or 144hz sure. Or if I needed an extra heat source for my room :p The 5700 xt is the obvious upgrade path from vega 56/64 for anyone too impatient to wait for Navi 2. Surely it's not beyond the wit of man (or woman) to code that up? Either its sloppy coding or it's a plug to clear old stock of cards no one wants. Whichever, AMD needs to focus on the driver and leave advice on performance and upgrades to the reviewers and forums

The UI I toyed with last night before trying out a game - which actually played really well. I will explore the other features like recording desktop tonight if I can remember.

I got a black screen driver crash last night and had to do a hard reset. Not had one of those in a long time. Doesn't bode well

Back
Top Bottom