• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
I undervolt my Vega 64 have done since release.

I dont think vega is the issue here is it? I also undervolt and OC my 56 and apart from a small borderlands performance drop, the 20.2.1 driver has been good to me - just one major crash. It's the 5700 that are the cards suffering the most and have been doing so since launch, but instead of fixing the bugs, AMD have ploughed on with a UI overhaul and a new features release which has irked the community further. That said, there's still a lot of 5700 owners not reporting problems and after reading that Techspot report (where it states that 5700 returns are 5x more than competing nvidia products but when tested, the problems aren't being replicated), I can't help wondering if there are users over-playing their issues and jumping on the band wagon because they've changed their minds...

Soldato
That article doesn't provide any data to show a retailer return rate for navi cards. It's just a hit piece. LOL.

Well done that man. Doesn't matter, some folk will not read it as it upsets them, may as well continue hating on something else.
And they never got any media attention either. Which is why Nvidia has had the same driver issues for the last 3 years LOL.

At least with the media attention on AMD, as usual from articles that are under the NDA 2.0 umbrella, it keeps AMD on the straight and narrow.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry if this has been covered but I just installed the latest drivers and FRTC is missing. I assume it's been replaced with Chill but Google points to AMDs official site which states Chill isn't a replacement for FRTC so now I'm confused

Do I need to enable Chill to limit frames? I have a Dell Freesync monitor 144hz with a Vega 56 and mostly play FPS.

I'm really confused by the minimum FPS setting its default value is 70 but some games I play can run lower than that

I'm not really sure what to do, I need to limit FPS as I always have done as it worked fine but not sure I want Chill messing around with my FPS in whatever range it's supposed to be set at in case it causes stuttering which would be very annoying

Any help and advice appreciated

Thanks

Soldato
Sorry if this has been covered but I just installed the latest drivers and FRTC is missing. I assume it's been replaced with Chill but Google points to AMDs official site which states Chill isn't a replacement for FRTC so now I'm confused

Do I need to enable Chill to limit frames? I have a Dell Freesync monitor 144hz with a Vega 56 and mostly play FPS.

I'm really confused by the minimum FPS setting its default value is 70 but some games I play can run lower than that

I'm not really sure what to do, I need to limit FPS as I always have done as it worked fine but not sure I want Chill messing around with my FPS in whatever range it's supposed to be set at in case it causes stuttering which would be very annoying

Any help and advice appreciated

Thanks
My understanding is that FRTC was removed as it was redundant. What you do is use chill and set min and max to the same FPS to get the same effect. Just make sure you use the game profile to change it.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
..after reading that Techspot report (where it states that 5700 returns are 5x more than competing nvidia products but when tested, the problems aren't being replicated), I can't help wondering if there are users over-playing their issues and jumping on the band wagon because they've changed their minds...

You know that is exactly the thought I had when I heard this sentiment. People were not committed in the first place, then due to buyers rights, jump off spooked at the first thing. What makes it worse is if you head over to the nvidia support the black screens and crashes happen on there too. Herd mentality.

Too late in the day to convince any of these punters. If both companies had identical performance and behaviour for a card, people would go with nvidia to play it safe.

Soldato
You know that is exactly the thought I had when I heard this sentiment. People were not committed in the first place, then due to buyers rights, jump off spooked at the first thing. What makes it worse is if you head over to the nvidia support the black screens and crashes happen on there too. Herd mentality.

Too late in the day to convince any of these punters. If both companies had identical performance and behaviour for a card, people would go with nvidia to play it safe.

I have a suspicion that windows have been forcing broken updates on some installs not to mention all the junk people have running these days, control panel for the mouse, control panel for the keyboard, control panel for the RGB and whatever else random junk that wants hardware access. Combine it all with the inability to diagnose a system and you have the typical "point the finger at the meme driver issue" people. I'm not saying that AMD releases perfect drivers cause they certainly don't and i certainly feel for those folks who have legitimate issues(like those that supposedly are plaguing some VII owners) but i do also find it funny that I somehow always manages to evade these complete broken driver issues no matter what os/platform config i try em on.

Soldato
What made me smile was if you actually listen to the hardware unboxed video, Steve says multiple times that he has tested over 6 cards and personally uses one in his rig, and in his daughters rigs. This (including his co-host) demonstrates that most users seem to be able to use them with no issues. Yes there are problems with some folks, which AMD should be dealing with that. He also mentioned he was also surprised that there were over 20% of nvidia users affected from that side of the fence.
He does also say that 48% of AMD users from his poll (with 45K responses) had experienced problems. Whilst it is true to state that most (52%) have no issues, he still concludes that AMD have a pretty major problem that they need to address.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
He does also say that 48% of AMD users from his poll (with 45K responses) had experienced problems. Whilst it is true to state that most (52%) have no issues, he still concludes that AMD have a pretty major problem that they need to address.

Yeah and that is the basis for making his video. No problem with that - AMD to deal with it.

However he does state, and this is the author of the vlog - he doesn't seem to be able to replicate the issues, which in my opinion is because people that are au fait with computer systems or pursue troubleshooting methods will eventually overcome the issue. There is only a small % where the card is faulty or should be RMA'd. I would hedge my bets that the larger proportion are what we described in earlier posts where they just send it back as they blame the GPU rather than check the rest of the system for other flaws.

Soldato
Well im on pre 2020 drivers 19.12.1 because when i went to 2020 drivers, tried to apply my saved stable undervolt and memory up to 900 with 1000mv as recommended as easy for the samsung memory and it was fine on old drivers but soon on the new ones without even going in a game and just setting them in the new interface i got snow on the screen then parts flashed black like corners of the screen and all over not just a full black screen just parts flashing black i had a bit of trouble trying to click on the start button to shut it down for about 15 seconds. So yeah im not going near the 2020 drivers they arnt good for my vega 56 pulse i dunno if its just me or all of em and i doubt its all of em as some say its fine but yeah no thanks for the 2020 drivers. But if they dont sort their s... out and fix whatever it is thats so wrong with em i think im fearing i can never update my drivers at least untill a really strong driver comes out that everyone praises and then i will try that but so far no one has said anything of the sort for these new ones and might not for 3 or 6 or 12 months and im gona be left out of performance enhancements or fixes for games i might want to play even tho i dont play very many modern new releases as there all meh like bf or cod or whatever.

Associate
However he does state, and this is the author of the vlog - he doesn't seem to be able to replicate the issues, which in my opinion is because people that are au fait with computer systems or pursue troubleshooting methods will eventually overcome the issue. There is only a small % where the card is faulty or should be RMA'd. I would hedge my bets that the larger proportion are what we described in earlier posts where they just send it back as they blame the GPU rather than check the rest of the system for other flaws.

Perhaps PC gaming in its recent renaissance has become a victim of it's own success and is attracting less computer savvy gamers from the console community who don't have the skills or interest to try to overcome the challenges? This can only end badly for the rest of us as high RMA rates will only drive up prices, reduce competition and even threaten the future of PC gaming itself. Sounds dramatic but it could push AMD to pull out of the discreet gfx market and focus on consoles if it continues

Soldato
It's a hit piece...come on guys.

Here watch this video from 5 months ago. It's the same ole song and dance. Here a bit of "find waldo" exercise for you. Spot all the problems this user had.

Bonus, read the comments, some are golden LOL.

The problem was never the 2012 PC, outdated 4x riser card, 430watt psu. Nor was it the 600 watt thermaltake psu. It was the drivers. Nope, I'm not going to here it's the drivers :rolleyes:.

Also, it's perfectly fine to use a 3 way extension cord to power the pc. I'm sure she's been using it for years...

Btw, this video was edited. You will see it in the beginning of the video. There was more of the card in her bench using the 430watt psu.

This kind of stuff is getting old.

Last edited:
Soldato
Was curious what my vega 56 pulse would get on that benchmark so tried it and got:

FINAL FANTASY XIV: Shadowbringers Benchmark
Tested on: 14/2/2020 4:37:32
Score: 10451
Average Frame Rate: 72.22598
Minimum Frame Rate: 27
Performance: Extremely High
-Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.
Loading Times by Scene
Scene #1 2.819 sec
Scene #2 5.378 sec
Scene #3 6.431 sec
Scene #4 4.465 sec
Scene #5 2.61 sec
Total Loading Time 21.703 sec

@1440p max settings, is that a good score? There was a lot of tearing tho on the screen which i guess the fps was going over 75 for most of it, otherwise, my 75hz freesync mon aint working lol. That or mostly under 40fps which i don't think happened as everything on screen was so quick and smooth except the tearing.

Soldato
Well im on pre 2020 drivers 19.12.1 because when i went to 2020 drivers, tried to apply my saved stable undervolt and memory up to 900 with 1000mv as recommended as easy for the samsung memory and it was fine on old drivers but soon on the new ones without even going in a game and just setting them in the new interface i got snow on the screen then parts flashed black like corners of the screen and all over not just a full black screen just parts flashing black i had a bit of trouble trying to click on the start button to shut it down for about 15 seconds. So yeah im not going near the 2020 drivers they arnt good for my vega 56 pulse i dunno if its just me or all of em and i doubt its all of em as some say its fine but yeah no thanks for the 2020 drivers. But if they dont sort their s... out and fix whatever it is thats so wrong with em i think im fearing i can never update my drivers at least untill a really strong driver comes out that everyone praises and then i will try that but so far no one has said anything of the sort for these new ones and might not for 3 or 6 or 12 months and im gona be left out of performance enhancements or fixes for games i might want to play even tho i dont play very many modern new releases as there all meh like bf or cod or whatever.

Was you applying a profile that was created with 2019 drivers?
I had to redo my profile for the 2020 drivers

What you explaining here is just simply a bad overclocking profile
Set the memory to low or to high you get artifacts, set the core to low or to high you will black screen.

Soldato
My understanding is that FRTC was removed as it was redundant. What you do is use chill and set min and max to the same FPS to get the same effect. Just make sure you use the game profile to change it.

Thanks appreciate the response but why would you need to change it on every game and whats the point in the minimum setting if your just going to set them both to 140FPS on a 144HZ Freesync screen for example?

I cant be the only person that thinks this stuff is really badly explained by AMD "We're going to take away something nice and simple that you've been using for years and works perfectly and replace it with something more complicated and not clearly explain how it works" Nice one thanks, my precious gaming time is reduced even more because I've got to spend ages trying to make sense of how something works and seemingly that clear explanation doesn't exist.

My FPS was hitting 500 in menus on Wolfenstein and way over 144FPS in game, dont get me wrong its nice to know my little Vega 56 can do that but its wasted frames and more heat

Sorry for the rant, I dont get much time to game these days and what little time I do get I want to spend it gaming not reading up on drivers

Associate
Thanks appreciate the response but why would you need to change it on every game and whats the point in the minimum setting if your just going to set them both to 140FPS on a 144HZ Freesync screen for example?

I cant be the only person that thinks this stuff is really badly explained by AMD "We're going to take away something nice and simple that you've been using for years and works perfectly and replace it with something more complicated and not clearly explain how it works" Nice one thanks, my precious gaming time is reduced even more because I've got to spend ages trying to make sense of how something works and seemingly that clear explanation doesn't exist.

My FPS was hitting 500 in menus on Wolfenstein and way over 144FPS in game, dont get me wrong its nice to know my little Vega 56 can do that but its wasted frames and more heat

Sorry for the rant, I dont get much time to game these days and what little time I do get I want to spend it gaming not reading up on drivers
Check out my post on page 914. Basically chill targets an average framerate in the middle of your upper and lower limits rather than cap it at the top meaning you lose some performance if you use a wide range. It also overshoots the upper limit occasionaly pushing you out of your freesync range which is why it's advised to dial it back a bit. For my 75hz monitor I set at 70-70 which averages 72 and overshoots 75 less than 1% of the time. Setting globally or per game is personal preference I guess. Per game gives you more control

Last edited:
Associate
Was you applying a profile that was created with 2019 drivers?
I had to redo my profile for the 2020 drivers

What you explaining here is just simply a bad overclocking profile
Set the memory to low or to high you get artifacts, set the core to low or to high you will black screen.
That's interesting. When I was struggling with my BL3 framerate drop I tried recreating my Wattman profile in the 20 driver but it made no difference than if just loading 19 profile and the XML was identical. My conclusion was that while the format hasn't changed, how the driver interprets the profile has changed. In my case it seems less aggressive. I'm still using my old 19 profile with 20.2.1 and it's been stable at least. I run my 56 at 1637mhz on 1075mv and vram at 980mhz.

Soldato
That's interesting. When I was struggling with my BL3 framerate drop I tried recreating my Wattman profile in the 20 driver but it made no difference than if just loading 19 profile and the XML was identical. My conclusion was that while the format hasn't changed, how the driver interprets the profile has changed. In my case it seems less aggressive. I'm still using my old 19 profile with 20.2.1 and it's been stable at least. I run my 56 at 1637mhz on 1075mv and vram at 980mhz.

Yeah my volts wouldn't apply with 2019 profile and also fan speeds was wrong.

Soldato
Check out my post on page 914. Basically chill targets an average framerate in the middle of your upper and lower limits rather than cap it at the top meaning you lose some performance if you use a wide range. It also overshoots the upper limit occasionaly pushing you out of your freesync range which is why it's advised to dial it back a bit. For my 75hz monitor I set at 70-70 which averages 72 and overshoots 75 less than 1% of the time. Setting globally or per game is personal preference I guess. Per game gives you more control

Thanks but I can only see a post about RTSS (Whats that?)

Back
Top Bottom