• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Your 2020 upgrade strategy?

Soldato
Ok we all know Cyberpunk 2077 is coming later this year. There's MS Flight Simulator coming and some interesting stuff in VR.

Are you:

A) Keeping what you've got
B) Upgrading for the new games regardless
C) Only upgrading for 50%+ performance

List current card/resolution/target FPS

------------------------------
C)

I'm on 5700XT/1440P/144Hz

Hoping for 2x 5700XT/1440P/144HZ to really push the settings and frame rate higher.

Soldato
Original plan was to stick with my 980Ti as the games i play currently run fine at 1440p, then upgrade to a 3070 minimum.
Was thinking of pre-ordering an Index for HL:A but didn't bother once i saw the headsets still have some kind of issues.

Sticking to original plan and will get a VR headset for HL:A when they are more refined.

Soldato
Currently waiting for RDNA2 GPUs and Ryzen 4000

I usually skip a generation so current spec is 2600x and Vega 56

I keep thinking about buying a 5700 XT but might be sensible and wait, also wouldn't mind an ITX build next as always had full size ATX builds, Fractal Design have teased that something "small" is coming so here's hoping they release an air flow focussed ITX case

Associate
I have a 3700X and 2070 Super.

Will get the new RTX3080 most likely, doubt I'll justify the 3080Ti. I got a 3440x1440 120hz monitor and the 2070S struggles a bit in some games.

Otherwise no plans to upgrade anything.

Associate
I'm sticking with an Intel Haswell i7 and a 980Ti until I can get double the performance for a sensible price, thinking that will be a Zen3 and Big Navi but we'll have to see.

Soldato
probably sticking with my 2070s. Performance is fine for me.

But, If AMD or Nvidia come out with cards that are interesting I might consider upgrading.

Caporegime
A: I am sticking with my 1080ti, wouldn't mind another for SLI when (if) they drop from the current daft used pricing.

I sure as **** am not throwing any cash towards a new purchase after the recent pricing **** take!

Zotac 1080ti Amp Extreme Core Edition/4k/whatever so long as its playable to my eyes.

Permabanned
Not upgrading this year: i7 6700K + GTX 1080

I want a high refresh rate monitor at some point, but I'm not interested in perpetuating the freesync vs gsync thing, and want microled.

Soldato
Hopefully I will be able to stick with my 1080ti for another year, that would be good, but if it struggles with new games when the new consoles come out later on this year I might upgrade to the newest AMD or Nvidia card at the time. I am tempted to go AMD as they will have the upper hand seeing as both major consoles are going to be using RDNA2.

Associate
Stay with 5960X and 1080ti SLI until I can double GPU performance for under £800.
At 4K now but some games can't go all settings maxed at 60fps as well as some I like but don't support SLI. I'd like RDR2 maxed settings at 60+ fps so it might be a long wait :(.
Will also be going for the next Ryzen iteration 12 or 16 core too if performance uplifts in gaming by a decent margin. I'm far more often GPU bound. So GPU first but probably not until 2021.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm semi happy with what I have but that doesn't mean i'm not keeping an eye out for a good second hand bargain, maybe an aftermarket 5700XT, 2080, or a well priced 3700X.

I also would like to go even smaller with my case but i've not seen anything that ticks every box for me. I was going to get a Velkase 3 but it seems the maker doesn't care as much about the EU market as the US one given how much stock we get for ordering. I've been tempted by a CCD MI-6 but then it's almost as big as a Dan A4 so i'm left considering why i'd bother hamstringing myself with a smaller graphics card to save little volume. All the things like the Loque, Steck etc. just strike me as copies of the Dan A4 that aren't as small, although I love the design of the new Sligers. I think it's going to be a case of waiting that one out.

Ree

Ree

Associate
got a 2070s on black friday so will be no gpu upgrades anytime soon for me. gonna get a new case, speakers though and grab a 3900x second hand when new ryzen arrives.

Soldato
Amazing, most of you guys has 1080 cards and wanting to upgrade them, I have just bought a 5700xt and thats about as fast as a 1080 and hopefully I wont need to upgrade it for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom