Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Many people aren't thinking rationally and adopting a sheep mentality - follow the herd.

Funny how a lack of rationality and sheep following the herd suddenly becomes a bad thing when the markets take a downturn.

When everyone was piling into the Dow and Nasdaq last year and it was becoming increasingly detached from reality, no-one bats an eyelid, and people like me that express concern at the situation get laughed at.

Associate
Funny how a lack of rationality and sheep following the herd suddenly becomes a bad thing when the markets take a downturn.

When everyone was piling into the Dow and Nasdaq last year and it was becoming increasingly detached from reality, no-one bats an eyelid, and people like me that express concern at the situation get laughed at.

No crisis, regardless of type, is resolved by panic or mass hysteria. Cool heads win the day. I can assure you I wasn't laughing at the likes of you last year.

Soldato
So glad I got cold feet on BP and bailed out at a loss I admit

I’m not even going to try and guess how much further it could drop

All depends the frame of your own involvement. People who want to 'invest' now and sell by xmas at a nice profit are gamblers. I totally agree dont do it, we can go down more and the money needed back by xmas is too risky to put in. From traders I always hear, a rising trend is the safest trade to make. We dont have a rising trend, we have chaos, murky waters and unknown conclusions.
Maybe gold I'll say its still broken past & retested its multi year down trend hence remains valid, but not sure I can prove that and historically big falls occur as it rises as in 1970's.

I'm pretty sure BP and RDSB will make profits over 5 years, the oil price wont be $25 in 2025. ($25 wont be $25 in 2025) Low prices are a gift, we're are all lucky the markets went down. I'm not happy anyone suffers of course, the reasons behind it but the prices are positive for anyone not about to retire or be a forced seller. -50% on anything else I buy is a good thing, I just look at the quality right so why not this.

1 aspect could be to draw up what % costs are energy from your personal budget. Either you benefit lower energy cost or the energy firms do, it can be justified in a kind of hedge I guess.

PS AAZ up 7% today...

AAZ I want to rebuy, great outlook for them on multiple points. Growth and a dividend is great. Is Iran no concern ?

I rebought some of PRU.ax I sold and AAZ I had to sell all previously, as its such a small operation its overlooked in many places. CEY also back to prices of a year ago as they suffer a lot in fear of instability but the operation itself will produce profit for all involved, I neglected to rebuy aaz last year and Im given a second chance now. I dont find good reasons not to pay attention

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’m waiting for my sharesave cash to arrive. (Has a 5yr option due in 2021 at £2.91 which is obviously not much point now.)
Better to take cash. Now and buy and benefit from dividends (assuming we keep them). We have been ruing not selling at 400, 350,300 and even 250 now !?

My other share in the scheme have taken a battering though! But I’m hopefully oil can at least get to 35-40 if Russia and Saudi end up doing something.

Soldato
All depends the frame of your own involvement. People who want to 'invest' now and sell by xmas at a nice profit are gamblers. I totally agree dont do it, we can go down more and the money needed back by xmas is too risky to put in. From traders I always hear, a rising trend is the safest trade to make. We dont have a rising trend, we have chaos, murky waters and unknown conclusions.
Maybe gold I'll say its still broken past & retested its multi year down trend hence remains valid, but not sure I can prove that and historically big falls occur as it rises as in 1970's.

I'm pretty sure BP and RDSB will make profits over 5 years, the oil price wont be $25 in 2025. ($25 wont be $25 in 2025) Low prices are a gift, we're are all lucky the markets went down. I'm not happy anyone suffers of course, the reasons behind it but the prices are positive for anyone not about to retire or be a forced seller. -50% on anything else I buy is a good thing, I just look at the quality right so why not this.

1 aspect could be to draw up what % costs are energy from your personal budget. Either you benefit lower energy cost or the energy firms do, it can be justified in a kind of hedge I guess

AAZ I want to rebuy, great outlook for them on multiple points. Growth and a dividend is great. Is Iran no concern ?

I rebought some of PRU.ax I sold and AAZ I had to sell all previously, as its such a small operation its overlooked in many places. CEY also back to prices of a year ago as they suffer a lot in fear of instability but the operation itself will produce profit for all involved, I neglected to rebuy aaz last year and Im given a second chance now. I dont find good reasons not to pay attention

AAZ will have such a healthy cash balance that they will either a) ride this out, or b) suspend temporarily, but the resource is still there etc. They’ve no debt, so possibly a govt buyout in the future.

Iran is a concern insofar as any country is a concern right now. However, the location of AAz’s operations is comforting.

Associate

You said it yourself though - some people did say something. It's like the credit crunch though - as long as people are getting rich then no one wants to hear it. I couldn't believe the last few months of action either - it was the most obvious bubble ever. In general the stock markets seem to be about pure gambling more than anything these days. I was happy when the WeWork IPO went **** up, because I was tired of all these companies floating and going through the roof despite a business model which wasn't actually amking any money. Thing is, I don't mind people getting rich off that, as long as we don't protect them when it turns against them.

/rant

Caporegime
Lets be realistic - this has naff all to do with any vague claims of having called it because people thought prices were "too high" after eyeballing them etc.. rather this is the result of a big external event that had nothing to do with the price data you looked at.

Associate
I don't claim to have called it exactly, but anyone who denied that there was a bubble recently must be blind. I just disagree with the way the economy is run, but at the same time I think it's an accurate reflection of people's greed and irresponsibility, so who am I to say otherwise?

Soldato
Lets be realistic - this has naff all to do with any vague claims of having called it because people thought prices were "too high" after eyeballing them etc.. rather this is the result of a big external event that had nothing to do with the price data you looked at.

Known unknowns, the markets were firmly into irrational territory and were looking for a trigger to correct. The risk was there, plain to see. If it wasn't Covid-19, it would have been something else.

End of the day, I'm sat here on the cash I liquidated at the end of last year, instead of a portfolio statement deep in the red.

Back
Top Bottom