When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I doubt they’re consciously taking advantage. If I recall WBAC are owned by BCA, the pricing is likely algorithm driven based on current stock, pricing and demand. I expect demand has collapsed, along with people trying to offload cars to free up cash, so prices will fall if there’s nobody around to buy them up.

This. No-one will be buying much stock at the moment.

Soldato
wonder if an app(phones probably not sensitive enough) or the car itself will give a very precise measure of acceleration/speed/energy input, to see if it is hunting.

I’ve only had one extended test drive so far (I pick mine up 21/4) and it does ‘hunt’ a bit on cruise. The main countermeasure is to set the distance to the vehicle in front to as far away as possible and that smooths it out massively. Of course, that opens you up to people cutting in front of you which causes the car to brake anyway.

I think all cars do it a bit, it’s just that now ‘Harry’ has commented on it, it will become a Tesla ‘issue’ which it isn’t really.

Soldato
The bittersweet reality of quarantine; electricity is really cheap due to ideal weather and low demand, but I can't drive my EV very far to take advantage of the low prices :D:p

I paid £1.08 for 32.374kWh on Sunday, for an average of 3.34p per kWh!

Soldato
The bittersweet reality of quarantine; electricity is really cheap due to ideal weather and low demand, but I can't drive my EV very far to take advantage of the low prices :D:p

What's even worse is that while all my colleagues are enjoying the extra £1-200/month they're saving in fuel costs, I'm saving about £5 in electric (and probably spending more than that with my PC etc. running all day whilst working from home :()

Soldato

Lovely jubbly. Only to be beaten by free charging :D.

Best for me so far was legitimately heading to a public charger on Zap Map near Watford on a Saturday. Stuck the postcode in and it took me to a business park and a barrier. Was about to turn around but the guy in the security desk ushered me over, and after explaining I was looking for a car charger but I presume it's private property he was like "nobody's in today so just head in". Parked up, plugged it in, walked the 5 mins back to see the family we were visiting and got a full 38kW for free :D.

1ZLGqct.jpg

Sorry if you recognise the office...

Octopus Agile were actually paying people to use electricity for a few hours a couple of days ago as well I believe.

Soldato
What's even worse is that while all my colleagues are enjoying the extra £1-200/month they're saving in fuel costs, I'm saving about £5 in electric (and probably spending more than that with my PC etc. running all day whilst working from home :()

Ha. Yeah, that one's a bummer. Had the same thing from a few people at uni; being furloughed on 80% is fine because they spent half of their part-time income on fuel. I'm... not seeing the same savings :rolleyes:

Lovely jubbly. Only to be beaten by free charging :D.

Best for me so far was legitimately heading to a public charger on Zap Map near Watford on a Saturday. Stuck the postcode in and it took me to a business park and a barrier. Was about to turn around but the guy in the security desk ushered me over, and after explaining I was looking for a car charger but I presume it's private property he was like "nobody's in today so just head in". Parked up, plugged it in, walked the 5 mins back to see the family we were visiting and got a full 38kW for free :D.

1ZLGqct.jpg

Sorry if you recognise the office...

Octopus Agile were actually paying people to use electricity for a few hours a couple of days ago as well I believe.

Seems like you struck lucky there.

But being paid to charge beats free ;) I swapped to Agile on Saturday after seeing how low prices had gotten during quarantine. The surge pricing is pretty irrelevant to us, as we tend to go for a walk during that time anyway, and then have dinner about half 7, so we've moved most of our use from 14.7p (Octopus Go) to <8p average.

Soldato
just looked in this thread (no not gone through it)

Russ, is that a Tesla by any chance ? i was going to say nice hatchback, i wouldn't mind one of those, (but the price is more i can afford :()

Yes, Tesla Model 3 SR+, so basically the base/cheapest model! Bought through my business with a load of incentives and it's cheaper than cheap to charge!

question if i may ?

always worried about security, if you plug a charger in (other at home or motorway etc) do they somehow "lock" so people cant just come along and unplug it ?

Can't speak with 100% certainty for other makes, but yes, all Tesla's lock the the charging cable into the car's charging port which requires it to be unlocked via the app or in-car touchscreen. Fairly sure it's the same for all other makes and models.

My home charger doesn't lock into the actual charging socket on my house, but most public ones do or they'll be tethered anyway (ie cable physically part of the charger).

Please ignore Nasher above, I think an EV slept with his mum and he's got some weird misinformed hatred for them. The guy below gives breaking the cable a good go and the owner reported no damage. As per any car - or anything for that matter - if you use enough force to break any part of it then it will...

Last edited:
Soldato
Please ignore Nasher above, I think an EV slept with his mum and he's got some weird misinformed hatred for them. The guy below gives breaking the cable a good go and the owner reported no damage. As per any car - or anything for that matter - if you use enough force to break any part of it then it will...

"Misinformed", but then immediately contradict yourself. Yes it will break if you pull it hard enough or kick it, or hit it with a hammer. It isn't a load bearing part, it's a plastic plug.

Unplugging them all late in the evening would be pretty funny. But I guess that kind of humour isn't to everyone's taste :p

Soldato
It does carry load. You can see if resists a kick and like a fuel port they need to deal with the insertion force and related bending moments. The cable can not be simply “unplugged”, removing it with force is vandalism and will require repair to the cable or socket and local body parts.

They are pretty robust plastic plugs, just like a McLaren plastic tub...

Back
Top Bottom