Road Cycling

Soldato
I decided against riding outside today, had planned to smash a climb with a perfect tailwind but I feel like a bit stuffy and don't want to make it worse. No temperature so will just let it clear.

4iiii is a good deal, I could fit it to the Felt but I'm using the Cannondale mostly with it's silly cranks so I'd like pedals so I could swap easier.

My mates got a Kickr core on order so will be giving me his vortex to use on Zwift so that will give me numbers to go on at some point.

Soldato
The two videos on YouTube I watched had the guys doing it in crappy weather. Is it intentional to avoid the heat of summer? I guess it could be a bad idea to spend 6-8 hours in the heat?

The coast to coast in the UK we got soaked on day one,two, three... Luckily we managed to keep our bag kinda dry and freshened up our kit overnight.
The Belgium/Holland trip was smoking hot. Made no odds, to me but both times I was the strongest of the bunch :D

Soldato
Finally got some bar tape on my Holdsworth after riding it nekkid for a month. Orange and blue is the order of the day. Really pleased with the bike though, excellent value for a nicer trainer and PX service was actually decent. The quality of finish isn’t great (the paint marks quite easily for example) but considering what it cost and what it’ll be used for, I’m not overly concerned.

Soldato
I like them and the team colours, I couldn't ride a PX working in a bike shop though :D

My mate has a Super professional sitting in a box waiting for me to build it, feels pretty light for £350 or whatever the deal was at the time.

Soldato
4iiii is a good deal, I could fit it to the Felt but I'm using the Cannondale mostly with it's silly cranks so I'd like pedals so I could swap easier.

My mates got a Kickr core on order so will be giving me his vortex to use on Zwift so that will give me numbers to go on at some point.

Vortex trainers tend to overread, massively in fact.

Soldato
Someone else mentioned coast to coast as an option. Where did you ride exactly? The downside being I would need a train before AND after.

I had to get trains both way too, nothing horrific though.
Day one Whitehaven - Carlisle 50 miles
Day two Carlisle - Falstone (got lost in Kielder) 48 miles
Day three Falstone - Berwick upon Tweed 75 miles
Day four was a loop around Lindisfarne island 15 miles
Day five Berwick to Newcastle 90 miles

Last edited:
Soldato
Slightly random question, do any of you wear prescription cycling glasses? Any recommendations on where to get them at a good price?

I had some Puma ones from Specsavers that were alright, but in general I find them a pain in the arse. So much so that I gave up on them and wear contacts for my rides instead. If your prescription isn't too high, they can be ok, but a lot of sports glasses just whack a pair of prescription lenses behind the sunglasses lens. If you have a high prescription (+6/+7.5 here) then the second lens can be so thick that's it tickles your eyelashes!

Soldato
I’ve got some casual prescription Oakleys and they’re brilliant but not cheap. I just wear contacts for riding, much cheaper to do that and swap the non prescription lenses out depending on light conditions.

Soldato
I bought some chainrings on eBay, used for 200 miles. Tbf I can believe that, but upon arrival I noticed one of the teeth ever so slightly chipped. I don't doubt for 1 minute that it'll be fine, but I'm still a bit miffed. It's on the big ring too so visible.
Absolute black
£120 new
I paid £79
I've messaged the seller, as you can see in the as the chip, albeit rather minor.

What do you guys reckon?
Ride it and move on?
Kick off?
Refund and send them back?

Soldato

That one?

Listed as new on ebay itself with the mileage in his description, could use that to send it back if you aren't happy?

It's one of the shorter teeth that help the chain drop to the small ring.

Soldato
4 o clock on the first picture?

Some of the teeth are supposed to be smaller for shifting, that’s the only one that looks damaged to me but very hard to tell from the picture and that’s the inside not outside like you said.

Not something I’d buy used to be fair, but they are always pricey new, especially those absolute black and rotor rings.

Back
Top Bottom